• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Hornet pilot loses wings over...a videogame?!

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
If I lost my wings (assuming for a second that I had wings) and there was no doubt that the game caused the seizure AND there was no doubt that the game is designed outside of the generally accepted parameters to the point that it could not be faithfully covered by the disclaimer about seizures that all video games come with, then I think I would do the same thing.

If there is doubt to the cause or the game isnt heinously out of limits then he's just being a douche.

jtmedli

pilot
IF the flashing was over the accepted limit and that's what caused it then it seems like a legitimate case. Seems like it would have to be way over the accepted limit for it to cause a seizure in someone that's never had one before.

Treetop Flyer

pilot
If that dude can suffer a bone breaking seizure from a flashing TV screen, then he probably shouldn't be flying. I don't see how he can claim that the game cost him his flying status. It seems to me that it just exposed the fact that flashing lights cause him to have a seizure.

feddoc

Really old guy
Contributor
IF the flashing was over the accepted limit and that's what caused it then it seems like a legitimate case. Seems like it would have to be way over the accepted limit for it to cause a seizure in someone that's never had one before.

It is more likely that it was over his threshold. Back in the 80s there was some theory which indicated that at certain frequencies some people could experience visual disturbances to the point of incapacitation. Not necessarily flashing light...but, light filtering through rotor blades could be a culprit.

Flashing lights do have an intersting way of stimulating some minds. Here is one example. http://www.emdr.com/

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
I remember all those Nintendo games when I was a kid had the warning in on the box/instruction manual about this.

Yankee Uniform Tango
Not that I have wings (obviously), but I have played said game many times (uhh...let the ridiculing commence) and can't think of one moment that could cause a seizure...Hell, playing Halo or Gears of War is x1,000,000 much more likely to.

Old R.O.

Professional No-Load
None
Contributor
Back in 1972 while I was in either AOCS or starting VT-10, they took us to NAMI at P-Cola and wired us up with pins in our scalp (EEG) and flashed lights at us to see if we would have a seizure. The story they gave us was that someone had been sent into a seizure when he closed his eyes to take a nap while flying in a helicopter and they wanted to screen new folks to see if that would happen to them.

Swanee

Cereal Killer
pilot
None
Contributor
Not that I have wings (obviously), but I have played said game many times (uhh...let the ridiculing commence) and can't think of one moment that could cause a seizure...Hell, playing Halo or Gears of War is x1,000,000 much more likely to.

I may or may not have played the shit out of Oblivion. *Cough* *Cough*

I thought the same thing...

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
And P-3 guys are nerds? I'll go back to counting my per diem while you FAGs play world of warcraft, or whatever this game is. Enjoy.

AirPirate

pilot
Jeez, does the guy get no credit for being where he is in life? As if he barely has a 50/50 chance of being a douche? I say reserve judgment until the whole story is proven. If the kid's already in the Hornet, his chances are a ton better than most for being an above average member of society. I'm not about to give a bunch of software-developing freakjobs the benefit of the doubt over this guy. By programming software, you might be ok, but your chances of being an incompetent douche are measurably increased compared to a guy spending his 20s flying fighters. He's a big boy now and if he decided to go to the merge with these guys, that was his call and should be trusted with it.

rondebmar

Ron "Banty" Marron
pilot
Contributor
Back in 1972 while I was in either AOCS or starting VT-10, they took us to NAMI at P-Cola and wired us up with pins in our scalp (EEG) and flashed lights at us to see if we would have a seizure. The story they gave us was that someone had been sent into a seizure when he closed his eyes to take a nap while flying in a helicopter and they wanted to screen new folks to see if that would happen to them.

At some point in ~1960, during "Physical" work-up for NavCad program, or very early in flight training, experienced the same thing...wired up to EEG machine, and tested for "flicker vertigo" response...more info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bucha_effect

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flicker_vertigo

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Jeez, does the guy get no credit for being where he is in life? As if he barely has a 50/50 chance of being a douche? I say reserve judgment until the whole story is proven. If the kid's already in the Hornet, his chances are a ton better than most for being an above average member of society. I'm not about to give a bunch of software-developing freakjobs the benefit of the doubt over this guy. By programming software, you might be ok, but your chances of being an incompetent douche are measurably increased compared to a guy spending his 20s flying fighters. He's a big boy now and if he decided to go to the merge with these guys, that was his call and should be trusted with it.

Whoa, easy there, Glocpilot.

RobLyman

- hawk Pilot
pilot
None
.... By programming software, you might be ok, but your chances of being an incompetent douche are measurably increased compared to a guy spending his 20s flying fighters. ...

Yeah. All software programmers are just like the guys you see in the movies...just like all Naval Aviators are like the guys in Top Gun.