• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helmet Visors

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
I was curious about the helemt visor's UV protection and if they were polarized so I asked a life support guy. He said they were just tinted and offered 0% UV protection and of course they are not polarized. To me this seems ridiculous. It this true? That means the tinted visor is actually worse than the clear visor for protecting your eyes. Anyone know where we can order visors of specific color/protection?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Primarily because the easiest way to see another aircraft in the distance (especially if you didn't know/realize it's there) is glare off the cockpit/skin/whatever. Polarized lens eliminate that glare.

jg5343

pilot
So you are telling me they are 100% UV protective? That is my main concern. What about those bad a$$ sun glasses they give us. Those things are like $14 in the stock system. Any word on their UV protection?

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
you can get a $3 pair of sunglasses at walmart... if it's made of poly-carbonate then it's 100% UV protective.

jg5343

pilot
HH-60H said:
Primarily because the easiest way to see another aircraft in the distance (especially if you didn't know/realize it's there) is glare off the cockpit/skin/whatever. Polarized lens eliminate that glare.

It doesn't completely eliminate the glare, just makes it way less annoying. I think that polarization is awesome, and does WAY more good than bad. I can see what you are saying, though, as far as the military's point of view.

Thanks for all the info. Rep points for you all!!!

jg5343

pilot
virtu050 said:
you can get a $3 pair of sunglasses at walmart... if it's made of poly-carbonate then it's 100% UV protective.

So even the clear visor is 100% UV protective!? That's pretty cool. I :love_125: poly-carbonate!

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
Why is UV protection so important to you? Worried about a sunburn in the cockpit? I think the canopy glass blocks pretty much everything already.

highlyrandom

Naval Aviator
pilot
Tinted visor: less overall light, therefore eyes better even if percent UV is reduced.

Polarized? No, can't look at LCD screens at certain angles, i.e. NACWS/DME, GPS, T-6 MFDs, FLIR Hellfire display thingy, what have you.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
It doesn't completely eliminate the glare, just makes it way less annoying. I think that polarization is awesome, and does WAY more good than bad. I can see what you are saying, though, as far as the military's point of view.

Thanks for all the info. Rep points for you all!!!

Has nothing to do with military point of view, it has everything to do with safe flying. Ever had a near miss? I have, in a Cessna. Scared the crap out of me. I've also had one in a T-34, noticed the other guy coming because of glare. You need it out there.

skidkid

CAS Czar
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
The reason that the visors arent polarized is becasue you cant read an MFD with polarized.
Ever treid to read the screen on a gas pump wiht polarized glasses on or change your ipod. Damn tough isnt it.

Edit someone beat me to it.

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
skidkid said:
The reason that the visors arent polarized is becasue you cant read an MFD with polarized.
Ever treid to read the screen on a gas pump wiht polarized glasses on or change your ipod. Damn tough isnt it.

Edit someone beat me to it.

First time I noticed that with my sunglasses, I SWORE my iPod screen was broken.