• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helmet Visors

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
No, but I have been around 90% of the hazards he was talking about as well as a butt load of others. I am not trying to start a pissing contest with any of you, but I hate guys that make posts like that. I think this thread contains a legitimate concern and if he thinks I shouldn't worry about them yet since I haven't been a pilot for 2-3 years like him, he should just keep it to himself.

Thanks to the rest of you for all the GREAT input.

I understand the issue, but remember, your 9 years in the Navy doesn't mean sh!t when it comes to flying, unless you were aircrew. That's all I was getting at. Kinda like maybe a LegalO in the Army talking about Infantry.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
What follows is somewhat serious, somewhat tongue-in-cheek ... (oops ...can I say tongue here on AW ????) All of it true, however .....

We solved the problem back-in-the-day re: visors ... shades .... poloarized .... unpolarized .... clear .... tinted ... what to wear ... Oh, God, what to do ...... :confused: ???

We just pulled the visors up and wore Aviator shades instead.

We looked VERY cool and got the job done. You say you don't like that idea and it's "illegal" ??? Well, it worked just fine --- and we never heard of anyone losing an aircraft because of wearing shades. When flying ACM, we wore NOTHING over our eyes as it was considered just another "lens" to look through in addition to the distorsions inherent in the canopy. Right or wrong --- that was the drill --- once again, it worked. I was usually the first to call long range "Talleys" on our opponents, even with my "senior" eyes and sometimes before their radars called "Bogey" on us.

I have been flying for 40 years, much of it long distance over the Pacific with and without eye protection --- usually no protection other than what was offered by the cockpit windscreen. I lost an appointment to the Naval Academy at 17 years of age because I only came in @ 20/20 and 20/30. No waivers ..... no eye surgery available. My last FAA 1st class physical came in @ 20/10 and 20/15. Go figure .... it obviously wasn't the visors or the sunglasses, was it??? :)

Probably just clean livin' and squeezin' limes ..... :icon_rast

kmac

Coffee Drinker
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Just to add some more useless info... guys with eye surgery apparently have greater issues in regards to UV light: it produces permanent hazing. Therefore it's strongly encouraged by eye docs to ALWAYS wear UV protection while outside.

As an aside, I fly with polarized glasses (while wearing a headset) and don't really have an issue with them. Sure the MFD can be hard to see at times, but usually it's no big deal. That being said, if I had the money I'd probably buy some nice non-polarized glasses just for flying. As it is, one pair is all I go through life with... ;)

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
Fly Navy said:
I understand the issue, but remember, your 9 years in the Navy doesn't mean sh!t when it comes to flying, unless you were aircrew. That's all I was getting at. Kinda like maybe a LegalO in the Army talking about Infantry.

I can agree with that when it comes to ANYTHING aviation. However, his post was in regards to occupational hazards and the preventative measures that go along with them. All I want to say is no matter how many years you have in whatever community, it is always wise to take proper precautions against the hazards of your current job. Sorry to keep dragging this out, you can have the last word.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
jg5343 said:
I have been in the Navy now for 9 years so all your "I am an experienced guy and you are a paranoid newbie" talk goes right through me. I have been there, and am always looking to keep myself healthy because of it. Thanks for the tip....

Hey, I wasn't trying to talk down to you. I really do applaud your effort to keep your bits and pieces safe. When I was in high school and college, the two biggest things I worried about were my eyes and my hearing, in large part because of what I wanted to do w/ them, ie fly in the Navy. As for the other occupational hazards...I either forgot, or just missed you have some history. To be honest, it really wasn't the point. I was merely saying there's so much that can "hurt" you in the Navy, regardless of community, that worrying about whether a visor is UV rated, when there's a monsterous system in place that takes care of us, safety-wise, in the aviation community is kind superfluous. If I'm a bug that crawled up your ass, so be it. I had no idea I could inspire hate in someone. Grown powerful in the dark side I have.

@Ryoaki

It just gets there. Gearbox seals, engine seals, corrosion preventative, Liquid A(ss). It's everywhere. And you've got to eat your sandwich sometime.

@HH

Thanks for the link. I was wondering where people were pulling the glint info from. It's good to see someone actually document it....whoever they may be.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
i wonder if there is any polarized protection to protect me from the radiation hazard of the APG-65/73? my nutts get fried from the back lobes everytime i turn that thing on ...

a side note, what A4sForever said - my visor goes up during any air-air engagements

S/F

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
jarhead said:
i wonder if there is any polarized protection to protect me from the radiation hazard of the APG-65/73? my nutts get fried from the back lobes everytime i turn that thing on ...

a side note, what A4sForever said - my visor goes up during any air-air engagements

S/F
Your APG ain't got nothin' on my ALQ-99, but I don't see a bunch of EA-6 guys with tumors. The airframe does a pretty good job of shielding, although there is an urban legend within the community of a disproportionate number of female offspring. I guess the Y chromosome doesn't like radar jamming.

Brett

Schnugg

It's gettin' a bit dramatic 'round here...
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Your APG ain't got nothin' on my ALQ-99, but I don't see a bunch of EA-6 guys with tumors. The airframe does a pretty good job of shielding, although there is an urban legend within the community of a disproportionate number of female offspring. I guess the Y chromosome doesn't like radar jamming.

Brett

That and the lead lined u-trou.

I hated when wingman joined up on you in parade and you could hear his radar lock on you (on the RWR) all the way up to where he snuggled up in IFR parade. "Buddyspike already...."

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Brett327 said:

Brett

Not sure this one's an urban legend. At least, not with the I-level maintenance guys I used to work with. The MSgt that ran the Prowler AVI shop in Iwakuni had like 5 daughters, and all his Marines had nothing but girls, as well. Of course, it COULD be coincedence, if you believe OSHA and medical. But I'm guessing that every time they turned on the radar/jamming suite to test it they were basically microwaving their wedding tackle.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
microwaving their wedding tackle.
Love it. :D Actually, from as much anecdotal evidence I've heard, it might just be true, but until someone does a legit study (which isn't going to happen anytime soon), I'm keeping it listed as "legend." I saw a pic of an scientist looking guy with a "I'm here to help - I'm from the government" button on his jacket, standing next to a Prowler while wielding a very official looking radiation meter in one hand and giving a big thumbs up and his best car salesman cheese smile. What? Me worry? :)

Brett

Crowbar

None
Girls are indeed popular with the comm/nav/radar/ecm techs. In fact, when someone in the shop had a boy we immediately attacked them for being lazy and not spending enough time playing in the RF.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Brett327 said:
Love it. :D Actually, from as much anecdotal evidence I've heard, it might just be true, but until someone does a legit study (which isn't going to happen anytime soon), I'm keeping it listed as "legend." I saw a pic of an scientist looking guy with a "I'm here to help - I'm from the government" button on his jacket, standing next to a Prowler while wielding a very official looking radiation meter in one hand and giving a big thumbs up and his best car salesman cheese smile. What? Me worry? :)

Brett

On the other hand, most of the guys I knew from my RAG class and my squadron had mostly boys......maybe that 1/1000th of an inch of gold protected their valuables....... :icon_smil

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Brett327 said:
......(a) scientist looking guy .... standing next to a Prowler while wielding a very official looking radiation meter in one hand and giving a big thumbs up and his best car salesman cheese smile. What? Me worry? :)

Brett
From the MORE questionable input department:

And just Where, may I ask, was he "wanding" you prior to mounting up ??? Maybe THAT's why there's a zipper on the bottom ??? ..... It's a good thing he didn't give you a thumbs DOWN!! That could lead to much derision in the Ready Room ..... :icon_mi_1 .... and much crying and self-consciousness in the shower.

thumbsdownsmall3be.jpg

Funny thing about AW .... "helmet visors" discussion has moved from one "end" to the "other" .... or we could say from one hea .... oh, never mind. Sorry ... couldn't resist the absurd. You boys !!! ..... you gotta' love it!!!

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
A4sForever said:
From the MORE questionable input department:

And just Where, may I ask, was he "wanding" you prior to mounting up ??? Maybe THAT's why there's a zipper on the bottom ??? ..... It's a good thing he didn't give you a thumbs DOWN!! That could lead to much derision in the Ready Room ..... :icon_mi_1 .... and much crying and self-consciousness in the shower.

thumbsdownsmall3be.jpg

Funny thing about AW .... "helmet visors" discussion has moved from one "end" to the "other" .... or we could say from one hea .... oh, never mind. Sorry ... couldn't resist the absurd. You boys !!! ..... you gotta' love it!!!

That a self-portrait A4s?

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
gaijin6423 said:
That a self-portrait A4s?

Sigh ... I guess it's true. You only hurt the ones you love .... :icon_mi_1 ... What ??? What's that ??? Happy Hour ??? You say it's time to squeeze limes ??? :icon_rast