• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Helmet Visors

toddb

phrogdriver said:
Why is UV protection so important to you? Worried about a sunburn in the cockpit? I think the canopy blocks pretty much everything already.

If you look through something tinted dark (sunglasses/visor) your pupils dialate to allow more light through
If the Visor/sunglasses don't allow UV protection then you're allowing an increased amount of UV rays into your eyes than if you were looking through something clear with your pupils constricted.

jg5343

FLY NAVY...Divers need the work
pilot
todd said it, that's why I care so much. No UV protection with tint is actually worse for your eyes than no UV protection at all.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
While I applaud your desire to keep your eyes healthy, I'd keep it in perspective. There's thousands before you who've been "exposed" like you're concerned about, and we all still have working eyes. If you think this is an issue, wait about 2-3 years, and you've been flying in your noisy platform, living in a stateroom w/ a continuous set of fancoils that are rumbling away, and have swallowed what must be at least a gallon of hydraulic/engine/transmission fluid after preflighting everyday. Preventative health becomes more relative then.

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
jg5343 said:
It doesn't completely eliminate the glare, just makes it way less annoying. I think that polarization is awesome, and does WAY more good than bad.
Polarization is good!

Guys, you can still see traffic just fine in the T-44 (with polarized windows).

Ryoukai

The Chief doesn't like cheeky humor...at all
gatordev said:
, and have swallowed what must be at least a gallon of hydraulic/engine/transmission fluid after preflighting everyday.

Two questions. Why are those various mechanical fluids in your mouth? :confused: Which one is most delicious? :tongue2_1

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
agreed - solid UV protection, no polarization. Just tested it on one of my helmets (now sitting on my office bookshelf - great conversation starter!)

JIMC5499

ex-Mech
Ryoukai said:
Two questions. Why are those various mechanical fluids in your mouth? :confused: Which one is most delicious? :tongue2_1

To get rid of the JP-5 flavored water. My favorite has always been MIL-L-23699 with a hydraulid fluid chaser. :eek:

Constipation has never been a problem on the boat.

B

Blutonski816

Question: Whatis the current policy regarding Sunglasses being worn under the helmet??
just curious... cuz I hear it's a no-no even though I've seen pics of old-schoolers sporting their shades under the helmet... I'm willing to bet A4s has done it a few times...

jg5343

pilot
HH-60H said:
I am not sure who owns this website, but this seems a pretty legit explanation of why not to wear polarized lens:
http://www.aviationmedicine.com/visionoptimum.htm

The only reason they recommend not wearing them is if the canopy/windscreen is already polarized. They confirmed then that polarization is good (since some planes have polarized windscreens, ie. T-44), just not double polarization. So my conclusion from that article is to wear them if you know your canopy is not polarized.

jg5343

pilot
gatordev said:
While I applaud your desire to keep your eyes healthy, I'd keep it in perspective. There's thousands before you who've been "exposed" like you're concerned about, and we all still have working eyes. If you think this is an issue, wait about 2-3 years, and you've been flying in your noisy platform, living in a stateroom w/ a continuous set of fancoils that are rumbling away, and have swallowed what must be at least a gallon of hydraulic/engine/transmission fluid after preflighting everyday. Preventative health becomes more relative then.

I have been in the Navy now for 9 years so all your "I am an experienced guy and you are a paranoid newbie" talk goes right through me. I have been there, and am always looking to keep myself healthy because of it. Thanks for the tip....

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
jg5343 said:
I have been in the Navy now for 9 years so all your "I am an experienced guy and you are a paranoid newbie" talk goes right through me. I have been there, and am always looking to keep myself healthy because of it. Thanks for the tip....

Were you aircrew for those 9 years?

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
jg5343 said:
The only reason they recommend not wearing them is if the canopy/windscreen is already polarized. They confirmed then that polarization is good (since some planes have polarized windscreens, ie. T-44), just not double polarization. So my conclusion from that article is to wear them if you know your canopy is not polarized.

Oh yeah, I agree. I am just saying that 1. It is a better explanation than my first one and 2. It looks like it my be from authoritative source, as opposed to our conjecture.

jg5343

pilot
Fly Navy said:
Were you aircrew for those 9 years?

No, but I have been around 90% of the hazards he was talking about as well as a butt load of others. I am not trying to start a pissing contest with any of you, but I hate guys that make posts like that. I think this thread contains a legitimate concern and if he thinks I shouldn't worry about them yet since I haven't been a pilot for 2-3 years like him, he should just keep it to himself.

Thanks to the rest of you for all the GREAT input.