• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HBO series "The Pacific" preview

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Yeah man, WaW is awesome. The only thing i was disappointed about was that it didn't end with an American Flag being planted.

I can't believe that a WWII FPS hasn't simulated raising the flag on Iwo yet. After all, Normandy has been stormed about 8x and we've taken Berlin at least twice.

Absolutely. Excellent read.

"The Pacific" looks pretty good. I personally can't wait. Any idea of when it comes out?

Looks to be this year... on Channel 7 in Australia. I think they get some kind of scoop as they were big time contributors to the production. I think we're getting it late this year, although I've heard early 2010 a couple times.

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I guess I'll have to wait until the series is complete and I can buy it on DVD or BluRay. I loved Band of Brothers and like others have said, WWII in the Pacific was epic!

-ea6bflyr ;)

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
Sledge is still alive & is a Mobile (AL) native & resident.

Unfortunately, I think Sledge died several years back - 2001 if Wikipedia is to be believed. "With the Old Breed" was one of the formative books I read as a teenager - about the best 1st person account of the war on the ground in the Pacific that I've come across. Would have liked to have met him, since he seemed like he lead an interesting life.

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Unfortunately, I think Sledge died several years back - 2001 if Wikipedia is to be believed. "With the Old Breed" was one of the formative books I read as a teenager - about the best 1st person account of the war on the ground in the Pacific that I've come across. Would have liked to have met him, since he seemed like he lead an interesting life.

FNS:
Thanks for the correction, as I truly believed he was still alive. He narrated parts of many of the War in the Pacific series on the Military Channel. My wife (who's from Mobile) knew his family, but amazingly never knew he had experienced what he did as a Marine officer in the Pacific.

Yankee Uniform Tango

First official trailer. The campaigns covered will be: Guadalcanal, Cape Gloucester, Peleliu, Iwo Jima, and Okinawa. :eek:

Series is set to air March 2010.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
That preview is awesome. If only it would wait until next May, then I wouldn't have to make do with a hadji mart copy of it until I get back, and could watch it in glorious hi-def.

Max_Power

Prefers Skippy
Contributor
Nice!

I've been w/o cable for about a year now and I was wondering when this was coming out. I too watch BoB once every couple years, the HD version is unbelievable.

It will interesting to see how this plays out; with Hanks and Spielberg at the reins it should be a blockbuster.

Its really interesting seeing the differences between the way soldiers/marines of that generation are portrayed vs. our own (i.e. BoB compared to Generation Kill)

I've played CoD: World@War too and it was really cool playing the Pacific theater

picklesuit

Dirty Hinge
pilot
Contributor
So they will end at Okinawa? No Bomb?! Damn, I was really hoping to see Spielberg's take on Nagasaki and Hiroshima...Should be a great movie...I always wonder if those guys really had any great, deep philosophical discussions such as the movie portray though...

Owen

I'm afraid E B Sledge is gone now fellows. However, still alive and
very well in Mobile, is Sid Phillips. They went to Murphy High School
together, served in the Marines together and remained fast friends
until Sledge passed. Phillips will also be a central character in the
series. Valor Studios is working with Phillips to record some of his
more vivid memories as prints that will be available in the future.

Also, back when all the series planning got started, a team from
Speilburg/Hanks interviewed CAPT & Mrs Bob Elder USN (ret) ex-
tensively about their courtship around the time of Pearl Harbor
and Midway, his role at Midway, etc. They were to be the "love
interest" for the film. Imagine a love angle representing a real
couple, Navy Cross holder, etc. Capt Elder is gone now, like
most of the heroes from Midway and I don't know if they will be
in the movie.....but maybe.....

Yankee Uniform Tango
I always wonder if those guys really had any great, deep philosophical discussions such as the movie portray though...

I agree, and that's been one of my complaints about some WW2 films (e.g. "Thin Red Line" ?).

That said, Pacific War veteran William Manchester describes leading a group of enlisted, college-graduate Marines (self-dubbed "Raggedy-Asses") in his "Goodbye Darkness." Apparently they indulged in many a philosophical discussions, but that was definitely an exception.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So they will end at Okinawa? No Bomb?! Damn, I was really hoping to see Spielberg's take on Nagasaki and Hiroshima...

See Empire of the Sun. It's not "about" Hiroshima, but it's featured. Also, Christian Bale's first gig. Batman as a snotty British kid in an internment camp.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
...aaaaaannnd HBO strikes again. Looks like they were quick to take down the YouTube clips. Here's one that's still up (for now): trailer