• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HBO series "The Pacific" preview

Yankee Uniform Tango

Pags

N/A
pilot
Yut.

It'd be cool if they showed some of the war at sea too...Marianas Turkey Shoot, Battle of Leyte Gulf, etc. But that might be hoping for too much.

sodajones

Combat Engineer
I have high hopes if Hanks and Spielberg are following a similar formula found in Band of Brothers.

4ageminor

I can't wait for this, i watch BoB at least once a year including all of the dvd extras. Does anyone know what month theyre shooting for?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
I've spent most of my [considerable] adolescent & adult life reading about & studying the Pacific Theater of WWII. It was by far the greatest & most interesting stage for success in the history of the US Navy & the Marine Corps. I can't wait to see this series. Sledge is still alive & is a Mobile (AL) native & resident.
FWIW, I'm currently reading John Hornfischer's 2nd book on the Navy in the Pacific in WWII. The 1st was "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" - a great story of courage at the Battle off Samar Island where 3 baby-flattops & 4 DD's & DE's held off the main Japanese battle group of BB's & CG's at Leyte Gulf. His 2nd book is "Ship of Ghosts" that tells the story of the USS Houston from their sinking at the Battle of the Java Sea thru 4.5 yrs of captivity (that included building the Burma-Thailand railway & the Bridge on the River Kwai (sic). Fascinating reading for anyone who cares about the Navy & Marine Corps.

Junkball

"I believe in ammunition"
pilot
Awesome. Looks as if they're moving away from the dark and gritty filter used for BoB... got a little bright, cheery South Pacific-ness to go along with their blood and guts. Hopefully HBO will stop taking down the promo videos on YouTube.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
Bring it!

Hanks and Spielberg - does it get any better? You know it will be accurate in every historical detail yet still be an epic story.

4ageminor

I'm currently reading the The Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors, and i agree that it's a great book.

For any xbox 360 players- Call of Duty World at War starts off at the battle of Pelelieu(sp) which i believe is the same battle as shown in the promo video.

ChuckMK23

FERS and TSP contributor!
pilot
I just finished COD 5 World At War - great game! Especially satisfying was all the Pacific Theater fun and hearing Keefer Sutherland's commanding voice along the way! Rocks!

BarrettRC8

VMFA
pilot
I cannot wait. I'm sure it'll be excellent... The DVD set will have a place right next to my Band of Brothers tin.

4ageminor

Yeah man, WaW is awesome. The only thing i was disappointed about was that it didn't end with an American Flag being planted.

brownshoe

Contributor
The trailer looks great, Cron. Thanks for posting(can't wait).:)

BTW, Fog, thanks for the info on those books you’ve mentioned. I’ve a discount promo from Barnes & Noble; I’m there tomorrow.;) I’ve plodded through “War In Korea and The Complete History Of World War II” (all 967 pages, it did take me a while). You might want to look at it if you’re interested in the Pacific WWII activities. My father was in the 6TH, island hopping. I’ve a book he bought back when he got discharged, “History Of The Sixth Marine Division” I’ll loan it to you if you’d like.

Steve

exhelodrvr

pilot
I've spent most of my [considerable] adolescent & adult life reading about & studying the Pacific Theater of WWII. It was by far the greatest & most interesting stage for success in the history of the US Navy & the Marine Corps. I can't wait to see this series. Sledge is still alive & is a Mobile (AL) native & resident.
FWIW, I'm currently reading John Hornfischer's 2nd book on the Navy in the Pacific in WWII. The 1st was "Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" - a great story of courage at the Battle off Samar Island where 3 baby-flattops & 4 DD's & DE's held off the main Japanese battle group of BB's & CG's at Leyte Gulf. His 2nd book is "Ship of Ghosts" that tells the story of the USS Houston from their sinking at the Battle of the Java Sea thru 4.5 yrs of captivity (that included building the Burma-Thailand railway & the Bridge on the River Kwai (sic). Fascinating reading for anyone who cares about the Navy & Marine Corps.

"Last Stand of the Tin Can Sailors" is a great book; is "Ship of Ghosts" of the same level quality?

Fog

Old RIOs never die: They just can't fast-erect
None
Contributor
Bshoe: Definitely buy "Last Stand . . .". It makes you proud to be part of the Navy & paints both aviators & blackshoes as true heroes.

HeloDrvr: Of the 2, "Last Stand" is better, but the biggest problem with "Ghost Ship" is that the climatic battle is fought in the 1st 100 pages and the rest of the book describes what happened to the 30% who survived during the rest of the war.