• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

HBO series "The Pacific" preview

UVaMarine

pilot
Contributor
I'm trying to watch part 2 on HBO.com. I have an account, but I can't seem to find where I can view the entire episode. All I can see is the recap and the synopsis. Is anybody else running into this problem?

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
I'm trying to watch part 2 on HBO.com. I have an account, but I can't seem to find where I can view the entire episode. All I can see is the recap and the synopsis. Is anybody else running into this problem?

I just looked again at the site and didn't see Episode one or two up anymore. Maybe putting Ep 1 up was a teaser to get you to order HBO?

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
From pacificfansite.com (a pretty thinly-disguised corporate "fan" site):
HBO has posted the full video of Episode One on their website for your viewing pleasure! We don't’ expect them to post all of the episodes online. This just serves as a taste of what is to come in case you’re interested in watching the rest of the Episodes in the coming weeks. If you like what you see, why not subscribe to HBO and watch the remainder of the Episodes?

Lame. Don't fight the New Media, HBO.

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Lame. Don't fight the New Media, HBO.

In their defense, all they've got is subscriptions and DVD/download sales. It's not like they're the broadcast networks with ad revenue, product placement, etc. And the production costs for this and previous awesome things they've done are astronomical. From the Earth to the Moon is 10+ years old and still looks awesome. In HD, mo' betta.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
In their defense, all they've got is subscriptions and DVD/download sales. It's not like they're the broadcast networks with ad revenue, product placement, etc. And the production costs for this and previous awesome things they've done are astronomical. From the Earth to the Moon is 10+ years old and still looks awesome. In HD, mo' betta.

Then they need to adapt to the new market. Cable and broadcast are struggling and they're not solely subscriptions. How Time-Warner or Viacom (or whomever owns the pay channels now) hasn't figured that out by now is, well, not really a surprise.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Opinion:

I'm late to this discussion (what else is new?), but it's a pretty good series, so far ... although, I'm sorry (but not really), but whenever Hanks or Spielberg open their pie-holes on the 'shorts' (again, one man's opinion) ... I gag/puke at their promiscuous lack of knowledge and their sophistry re: the history of the movie they're fucking makin' and them takin' gratuitous pats on the back for 'respecting' the vets, sometimes know as: 'where in the fuck were YOU when it was YOUR time' to saddle up and serve your country, Tom & Steve ??? Too busy?? HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm ????

BUT, to the subject at hand: Hollywood aside, which is usually a good thing (one man's opinion, again) .... while it's NOT Band of Brothers 'good' as of yet ... it's still a pretty good series, anyway .... so like I said, some observations, if I may be permitted:

1. O3A3's ... in AUG ... SEP ... OCT 1942 ... ??? I don't think so ... OOOOOPS !!! Call the prop department ... !!!!

2. A Reising .45 ACP SMG ... ?? The early WW2 'favorite' of the USMC (as they couldn't get enough Thompsons) until they discovered it was a problematical piece of shit?? I saw an M50 variant in episode 3
(been gone: thank you Jesus for HD-DVR) just prior to the platoon leader getting his head/throat blown out. In spite of it gaining the reputation as a crapola small arm ... when's the LAST time you ever saw one of those in a WW2 movie ... or when's the NEXT time gonna' be ... ??
Reising Submachine Gun

3. Where ARE those BAR's??? That USMC squad automatic weapon from the early '20s and beyond??? It was THE CORE (not Corps) of every USMC rifle squad during the decades it was in front line service. I think I saw mebbe one or two on someone's shoulder on the beach scenes with the heavy bipod (wrong) in the first 3 episodes (one more time: thank you Jesus for HD-DVR) ... but where ARE they in this paean to the 1942 USMC squad TO&E .. ??? They were very, VERY prevalent -- ever since the '20s in the USN/USMC .
Browning Automatic Rifle - BAR - 'THE' Squad Automatic Rifle for decades

4. You've GOTTA LOVE that Winchester M97 in episode tres ... nothing like a dose of OO-BUCK to give some Banzai-prone zip 'religion' and send him on to his ancestors ...
Winchester M97 'Trench Gun'

5. That ubiquitous M1917A1 'heavy' machine gun ??? God, it gets 'heavy' just thinking about it. Try humping that thing (@ 40 lbs for the gun w/H2O in the barrel jacket and @ 50 lbs for the freakin' TRIPOD alone !!) around in a 95 degree/100% humidity jungle for a while ... it boggles the mind and stoops the shoulders. Can you imagine humping that thing 'tactically' to improve your position/field of fire while under fire & opposing a Banzai charge that's coming right down your throat ???
Browning M1917A1 Heavy Machine Gun

6. The haircuts?? Not to worry: they are totally 'correct' ... you should see some of my DAD's and his Amigos 'cuts' in the '30s/'40s pix I have of them ... curly, Cosmo Kramer-esque tall to a fault hair styles ... but pretty short on the sides, now that I think about it. NOT 'high & tight' short (which is borderline mental, to be sure) ... just a 'gentleman's short'. Kinda' like an 'Ivy-league' short on the sides ...

7. Almost as interesting as the series -- let's make that just as interesting ... are the 'shorts' which feature the 'real guys' ... what tigers they were ... and what great Americans, even though they didn't know it.

Sometimes not knowing it ... and still being a STUD ... and sometimes a hero ... that's what makes 'em da' best ...

FlyinRock

Capt Dale Dye was a pr hack in the Corps and began Warriors Inc when he got out. Has done very well for himself. I believe his email is Warriors.com.
Last time I knew of him on active duty was at El Toro in the 60's.
Semper Fi
Rocky

Yankee Uniform Tango
1. O3A3's ... in AUG ... SEP ... OCT 1942 ... ??? I don't think so ... OOOOOPS !!! Call the prop department ... !!!!

I'm not sure I'm understanding...Every account I've read about the Marines on the 'Canal mentions them being equipped with Springfields, even months after the invasion. Or is the O3A3 specifically, the wrong variant for the time period? :confused:

SynixMan

pilot
Contributor
Has done very well for himself.

I saw him on the history channel commenting on medieval sword combat once. WTFO?

As for Ep3, god I hope to one day hit that port call in Perth. Nice change of pace before they go to New Britian next week.

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
I'm not sure I'm understanding...Every account I've read about the Marines on the 'Canal mentions them being equipped with Springfields, even months after the invasion. Or is the O3A3 specifically, the wrong variant for the time period? :confused:

Not sure about the dates for Garand issue but the Marines hit the beach in Aug of 42 with 03A3's.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
Roger that; the Springfields 'The Old Breed' used @ Guadalcanal were Springfield 03 & 03A1s (nearly identical, but with a full pistol grip stock on the A1s which had been used between the Wars, especially by the USMC) and possibly some Remington 03's thrown in for good measure -- but many of the Remington 03's were shipped off to Britain as the Brits were still rebuilding, having left much of their stuff at Dunkirk. They needed rifles, ASAP ... even .30-06 ones ... they were differentiated for caliber (from .303 British) by painting a rather large 1" or 2" RED ring around the forend, just in front of the front sling swivel. I've got one -- still in the cosmoline. Anyone want to clean it for me ... ??? :)

firearmsriflem1903700.jpg

M1903 (top) .................................... M1903A3 (bottom)

The 03A3's were a follow-on contract largely built by Smith-Corona (yes, THAT Smith-Corona) and Remington. This mod was designed with several tweaks (chiefly the rear sight, barrel 2-groove construction, some stamped parts, and a simpler stock) to make the rifle 'simpler, easier & cheaper' to produce at a time when there were not yet enough M1 Garands in the system and the earlier Springfield & Rock Island 03's with rebuild dates 15-20 years earlier were getting a little long in the tooth. The Remington 03's had not really been produced in sufficient quantities to resupply all units that 'needed a rifle' .... and like we said: many went to the Brits. So production was simplified & moved on to the 03A3's on a parallel track with the Garand production.

I think (without looking it up) the earliest mass production barrel dates (excluding test models and/or prototypes) on the S/C were @ 10-42 and @ 11-42 or 12-42 for the Remington made examples. Thus, all initially built & delivered too late to have realistically reached the 1st Marine Division during their AUG-DEC '42 Guadalcanal service.
The 1st was re-equipped w/ the Garand on their Australia turn-around. This is confirmed from several research sources that are now web-based. You used to have to suck it up and go to the best library you could find or the National Archives or the Arsenals to get such information.

Another small note: most/all 03's of any variant came with a front snap-on sight hood -- seen in the 03A3 depicted above ... however, I don't think I've seen one of these sight hoods in the series yet ... while they were/are disposable and replaceable, I don't think I've seen one, which is odd, as it was 'standard issue'. That front sight blade was subject to breakage in the field and very, very 'sharp'.

I'm guesstimating that the producers used the more available 03A3's for the movie (they probably figured: "HEY!! WHO'S GONNA' KNOW WHICH ONE IT IS ...???"). '03s are much 'rarer' in any kind of 80% or better decent, shootable form and are thus much more highly sought after by collectors -- so $$$$ considerations and what was available on the Hollywood/Aussie production lot is probably what decided it. Just a WAG ...

I know I'm missing somethin' here, but that's it for now.

***edit*** .... OOOps ... I see we have a difference of opinion as to when 03A3's were issued. Not on AW's !!! Has hell frozen over ... ???

Rocketman

Rockets Up
Contributor
***edit*** .... OOOps ... I see we have a difference of opinion as to when 03A3's were issued. Not on AW's !!! Has hell frozen over ... ???

I'd like to say that I meant to type 03A1 and didn't but me thinks that might not fly around here. I just looked and my own Remington 03A3 has a barrel dated 9-43 so that certainly supports your dates. Internet lore bites me in the ass once again. LOL

Oh yea. I lost my hooded front sight cover too.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
I watched a DVR'd episode 6 the other night and noticed a quick shot of something I don't believe I've ever seen used (correctly) in a movie @ WW2: an M1903-A1 w/ an 8x Unertl scope mounted. It's seen briefly atop the roof of the captured airport building the morning after the 'rush' across the runway (I suppose it could more properly be described as a USMC M1941, of course. Details ... details ... :)).

In either case, whether you like redesignated nomenclature of USMC M1941 or the 'original' idea of USMC M1903-A1 w/ 8x Unertl .... the rifle depicted in 'The Pacific' was probably a 'make-up' for the movie, as real examples of the sniper package -- whether called 1903 or 1941 -- go for a LOT of money these days and are rare. The scope alone, serialized and marked 'UNERTL USMC Sniper' can go for upwards of 5-6 big bills ... I've seen 'em go for more ...

m1903un.gif

USMC M1903-A1 with Unertl 8x Telescope (USMC File Photo)

USMC M1903-A1/Unertl
Unlike the US Army, the USMC had a standard issue sniper rifle at the start of hostilities in WWII, it was a M1903/Lyman 5A (5x), which was adopted (with the Winchester A5 Telescope) during WWI. After there was a push to standardize sniper equipment, the Marine Corps Equipment Board did an extensive study of optics under field conditions and recommended a scope of about 8x, with an objective lens of about one and half inches, a medium fine crosshair reticle, and double micrometer quarter minute click mounts. They specifically cited a 8x target scope made by John Unertl as being the best they found.

They also recommended the scope be mounted on a Winchester M70 target rifle (note: THAT particular package would have to wait for Vietnam), but the USMC decided on the M1903 based on favorable accuracy comparisons between specially selected M1903's and the M70 (note: PLUS -- switching horses for new M70s ($$$$) vs. M1903-A1s that were on hand at the time probably clinched the deal -- typical can-do Marines :)). So the M1903-A1 mounted with the Unertl 8x became the "sniping standard" in the USMC and was redesignated USMC Model 1941 Sniper Rifle.

The M1903-A1/Unertl was tested and at 600 yards and with M72 Match ammo would group 3.5 inches (.58 MOA, wow!!!) but match ammo was about impossible to come by during the war, so most snipers had to settle with M2 Ball ammo, which was till respectable with groups coming in at 7.5" at 600 yards (1.25 MOA). The M1903-A1/Unertl was used by the USMC through out WWII, along with the M1903-A4. The -A1/Unertl also saw use during the Korean war, with USMC snipers registering a number of kills out to 1000 yards....