• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Has anyone heard, been denied, or accepted lately?

Status
Not open for further replies.

riley

Not that what I have to write has any worth. But, I've been going through the hoops since February of 2001. Always snags, always something going wrong. Nothing ever works smoothly. All this time, though, it has given me more determination. I'm getting pissed off at people who say it is too tough, it can't be done, you don't have the right qualifications, give up and go for something else. Good old Teddy Roosevelt said it best, "it is not the critic who counts." It is the doer of deeds.

There is this chinese proverb, "Those that say it can't be done should get out of the way of those who are doing it."

Well, I didn't want to end up being a cheerleader, I just wanted to get my point across - never give up, never give in. If you do that, you are in a very small minority, and no matter the outcome, you can always be proud.

arkansastrumpet

I just found out this week that I got accepted for NFO. Looks like I'll be heading out to OCS sometime in March or April. But all this talk about NAMI has me pretty freaked out to be honest. I did fine on my vision tests for color blindness and depth perception at MEPS, so I'm not too worried about it. What does concern is the BKL.
Is that a set amount for all planes or just certain ones, because I know some NFO's who are waaay shorter than I am -- 5'2".
If you don't make that cutoff do they roll you out or designate you to some other job?

Just curious.

Penguin

Respect the WEZ
pilot
When I went through my SNA physical, I was working at a Naval Hospital, so I had good access to the av med folks. What they tell me is that your measurements may determine which airframes you can fly. Supposedly, they may take people who are out of the standards a little, but they may limit which aircraft those people can fly. You've got to be able to reach everything, but on the other hand they don't want aircrews losing kneecaps if they eject.

LTJG G

doubleeagle

steve02-
I realize you want to be a Marine first and foremost. Something you should consider is the BDCP program. I don't honestly know if this a Navy only program or if the Marines have it as well. It could be a great way for you to get your career off on the right foot. It is definately something I would have done in college had I known about it.

Just a thought, others might disagree talk to some BDCP people if this is of any interest.

satin_patriot

If you don't know the congressperson personally it won't do you any good whatsoever. the more personal your letters the better-- even if they're not flag or general ranking. Of course very personalized letters from flag or gen. officers is even better...

Warlord

SNA Hopeful
Congressman are good to have, whether you know them or not... it shows some effort on your part to have someone of stature look at your resume and speak with you, in order that they deem you worthy of a recommendation. They may not know you personally, but that's what your other letters of recommendation are for.

HueyHornet75

pilot
I have to hand it to you applicants. You are all very well informed, for the most part, and the fact that you are busting your humps to grab that brass ring, motivates me. i applaud your efforts, really. You all know so much more than i did when i applied. i didn't know what an OAR was, nor did i know any of my scores after taking the ASTB. i took it, and the gunny said i passed...ha ha...looking at your experiences, i wonder if i would be able to get in if i were to apply today. (Probably not, as i would have needed an age waiver, and they aren't giving those out anymore, i guess) my oso told me that she couldn't give away air slots back in april 2001. it's hard now, and competition is fierce, of course, with the war on terror, and the economy, there are less people getting out-shrinking the number of candidates needed and probably an increased number of applicants for coveted slots.

My good friend airwinger once told me that i had better be good, because i won't ever be lucky...we laugh, and it's true...however, i was pretty lucky to have the opportunity to go to ocs, tbs, and now flight school. i think all who get to be officers should remember that they are fortunate to serve in that capacity. keep working hard, do the right thing, and it will work out the way it's supposed to.
Remember, Luck favors the prepared mind
1. to CandKy...i don't believe there is anything wrong with people choosing Marine because they got denied by the Navy. I did. the navy wouldn't give me an age waiver, but the Marines would. (i don't tell many people that out loud, of course)...but that's the way it is. if my SNA slot would have been denied, i probably would have gone NFO...and possibly SWO...i didn't care, i just wanted to serve. i love the way it worked out. am i any less of a Marine Officer because it was my second option? not even close.
2. jasand...keep reapplying. it seems pretty severe to have a congressman who doesn't know you write a LOR about you. if that's what the application process has come to, then something is wrong. Pick people who KNOW you and can attest to you as an individual, a team player, a student, one who leads by example, one who has character. i think i had 10 LORs (because that's what the app called for) and only 1 was from an officer...a Marine Captain, whom i knew from my college fraternity. the rest were all professors, and job supervisors. I know lots of people have top brass writing for them...but my guess is that the board knows what they're getting based on the specific quality of the LOR, versus, "yeah, this guy is great" from a 2-star or congressman...just my $.02.

anyway...enough of that. i admire all your efforts and i've been following a lot of the posts. it's cool to see guys get accepted and it stinks to see them get denied. i really just want to urge you all that have not been accepted yet to keep trying and to those of you who have/will, i'm looking forward to working with you in the fleet.
semper fi

NavyHawk77

I just found out last week that I was selected for SNA. I will be attending API in January. I am not sure what the OCS avaliable billets are at this time. I am coming from the NROTC program and at my university, all four people who applied for SNA spots were selected. The one person who selected NFO was selected for that as well. Good luck to those of you who are waiting. I understand the emotions that come along with the wait. I have been in my commissioning program for 7 years (I am a prior enlisted sailor) and my dream has finally been achieved. Hope to hear more good news from you all. Good Luck!

ENS O

AZSkegee

congrats NavyHawk77, sometimes I wish I had enlisted with only a few hours to complete my degree and go ROTC vs already having a degree. STA-21 is a very good alternative for a commissioning program. What school did you attend, how was NROTC compared to actual fleet life.

maverick01usn

one of the things im very insecure about is to either wait until college is over to go to ocs (of course applying previously and getting accepted) or do nrotc in college? i recently got accepted to an nrotc college while im attending my regular college so now that "new option" has come up im kind of considering. im very confused because either one of them will get me to the same end but one of them makes me taste what is like to be in the navy already!! i personally dont know what to do!! which one is better?? if anyone has advise ill really appreciate it!! and even better if i could talk to someone about this through instant messenger (through this website) it will be just as well since ill get to ask more questions if any!

Goliath112

Go NROTC. try your best to get into the 4 year scholarship deal, but the 4 yr and 2 yr "college program" are good pathes too. (or did you already get accepted into NROTC?) OCS is a back door entrance to getting a commission. while OCS grads are just as good as NROTC grads, you do not want to go through college and the try to get into OCS and not get selected. OCS is real tough to get into at times. While NROTC is more widely available. ALSO since you are presumably and non-prior enlisted sailor NROTC will be able to give a "glimpse" of how the Navy works. NROTC is the way to go. OCS is great but what happens when you graduate and don't get selected? exercise all options available to you. peace out.

Steifel

Hello all. Brand new to the forum. Im 23 and dying to get a pilot slot in the Marines or secondly Air Force. My old man flew for the Corps for 24 years so it's kinda in my blood. I currently have my Commercial Multi rating with around 1,000 hours. My GPA is just above 2.0 which I'm working on. Long story on why it got low to begin with. I ran Cross Country for high school and averaged 18:45 for the 3 mile...pulls ups im around 10 but I can do all the situps in two minutes. Im 6' 2" if you think that may be an issue at 180 lbs. The big issue is getting a waiver for the PRK I had done. I scheduled PRK and the surgeon did PRK in the right, but had to do LASEK in the left. Which is virtually identical to PRK since no flap is formed in the eye. He didnt even tell me he was changing procedure. Im still upset bout that one. At least my eyesite is 20/10 now. My OSO said the minimum commitment is 8 years starting from the time you get your wings. The Airforce hasnt been as responsive with my questions, so do you know what their commitment deal is. I like to have the most information possible so any advise or comments would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.