• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

haircuts and liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

peineytan

there are perks to being in the navy but when you go through college because they tell you its the right thing to do and one of the first things i did when i got to boot camp was get down on my hands and knees with other people's dirty socks on my hands and "ricky" sweep...i wasn't happy about it, then when i get to my first command, and i am essentially running a mini grocery store (the gedunk), you wonder to yourself why you even went to college...my job is redundant and requires a lot of paperwork and filing...it just wasn't what i thought my job was going to be...matter of fact i don't even work in my job...i do a job of a different rate...

av8tor

The audacity of the Navy, can you believe it? Do you know there are maintance personnel in the civilian sector who clean toilets for a living, it's true, without having an officer who is required to give them time off to complete online college courses. And to think they make you file paperwork and sell candy, there needs to be a law. Phew, it's good thing Officer's don't do paperwork or redundant clerical work, since we all find a capable recruit to do it. I once a person who continually told me how the Navy would fall apart if she left - she stamped names on dog tags from 9 til 5.

Crowbar

None
Originally posted by peineytan
one of the first things i did when i got to boot camp was get down on my hands and knees with other people's dirty socks on my hands and "ricky" sweep

You mean you don't do that kind of crap at Navy OCS? What kind of experience is that?

When I was on the Bataan, I remember this one sailor who hated the Navy. She was in Deck Department, but said she only joined because she wanted to be a model on the recruiting commercials. Sad thing is, she was serious! Arrrr, sign here, lady!

I guess I'm just bamboozled. I can see how a recruiter could make you believe things other than the truth to get you into boot camp. "The best officers are prior enlisted sailors", right? So I'm hoping that in your quest to be an officer, you want to make the Navy a better place, right? If I hated the Marine Corps so much I'll be damned if I would try to get commissioned. I've done some ****ed up **** both at boot camp and OCS, and at no point did I ever remember thinking, "I'm above this, I didn't go to college for this ****." Sure we always did some idiot things but it's all part of the training.

If you think the majority of people out there haven't had to run a geedunk before, think again. We used to send one person per shop each month on a rotating basis to work the geedunk. That was their sole purpose in life for that month. 12-18 months of training and they sit in an office and collect $.50 for every drink or candy bar somebody wants to buy. Would you care to hazard at guess at what I spent a year of my career doing? I worked at a BOQ. It's like working at Best Western as a desk clerk. I answered phones, made reservations, stocked rooms, made coffee, checked out movies, you name it. Every arrogant asshole in the Marine Corps must have come through that BOQ at one time or another and I had to put up with all of them. Please do tell me how that relates to avionics. Or explain how my friends who were temporary game wardens or clerks at the convenience store or the auto hobby shop applied that to their crew chief training. Life in the Navy/Marine Corps ain't always gonna be what you expect. You make the best of what you have and move on.

You think your job has redundant paperwork? Do you work around aircraft? If so, then yes, I agree you have redundant paperwork. If not, you have not seen redundant paperwork until you start fixing them purty planes everybody likes so much. Imagine the world's largest paper trail (on every single a/c in Naval inventory) so that when anything goes wrong, that individual component can be traced back to the one person who inspected it and said it was safe for flight.

I dont' know, maybe I'm being quick to speak but you almost sound pissed that you are where you are but you're going to stick it out and go to OCS anyway. I hope not, I'm thrilled to be in a commissioning program and I think most people are. Just my opinion, though.

Edit: I know it sounds like it, but I'm not trying to be a jerk or anything. I'm not demanding answers, just throwing out some things to think about. So attack me if you like, or just respond in a civilized manner, just letting everybody know my purpose in writing all that.

av8tor

I 100% with you. Everyone today wants people to cry for them for simply doing their job. There are soldiers over in Iraq coming home in body bags and I should feel sorry for her having to file paperwork? I'm beginning to believe that military members should be required to work two years in the civilian workforce before entering service, where an employers will be up their ass twenty four seven and if they'll be required to keep smiling. I suppose the that she is probably young and very immature. Inaddition, her comment of being made to attend college, yikes. Commands are very perseptive to these individuals and while they may tolerate it, her being put in a broom closet to sell candy shows their trust in her abilities.

Aimee

Go ahead and spend some $$ on a great haircut before you go to OCS, but beware: they might take a flowbie to you all the same.

Crowbar

None
Originally posted by av8tor
Staff Sergeant,
Hey, congrats on being selected for OCS, we need more Officer's such as yourself.

More officers like me? Oh, well. There goes the neighborhood.

Leish

Congrats Crowbar on being selected for OCS. I think we need more prior service who know what it is like to be prior service.
bouncy_125.gif

I just wanted to say I agree with what you said whole heartedly. I am a NAVET which means I got out and came back in. I got out in 1992 to go to college. Something that I was unable to do during my original enlistment 1988 to 1992. During that time, Needs of the Navy came before anything else. Now that I am active duty again, I see both positive and negative changes in the Navy. There are so many more opportunites that are afforded to enlisted people now. For example, you can go to college, you can get part time jobs, you can even wear your uniforms into work and you can actually wear coveralls (they were not a uniform item before).

What pisses me off is when I hear people complain about the jobs they have to do on their boat or shore station.
banghead_125.gif
I am on my second ship (a 2nd class petty officer this time) and I am probably going to have to go down to the mess decks as Mess decks master at arms for 6 months. I mess cranked (worked with the cooks)on my first ship for 4 months. (Usually done by E-4 and below or E-3 and below on bigger platforms)

When I was on shore duty just after 9/11, I was on ASF (Auxiliary Security Force) and spent 85% of my shore duty time there. I was not an MA. I was a HF (High Frequency radio) Communications Electronics Technician (not my job, right??). The difference is I took the jobs I was given and excelled at them. I received a NAM (Navy Achievement Medal) from my last command for working in the message center as an IT (not my job, right??) and received many achievement letters from my previous boat when I was cranking and when I finally did my job as a Torpedomen's mate. (TM's worked with weapons and had nothing to do with food, not my job, right???)

Now I am a Navigational Electronics Techinican which is a very technical job. The Navy sent me to school for 2 years to learn my skill. But if the Navy told me I was needed to go and clean out heads. I would say "roger that" and do my best at that job. Every job in the Navy is for a reason. It may seem petty to you but it is important. Cleaning a head on a ship is important. If the head was not cleaned, the ship could get sick from the bacteria and filth. You can go without cleaning your head at home because you are the only one who uses it. On a ship, you have a couple hundred people using it a couple of times a day. So, isn't Safety everybody's job??

I believe if you don't like the Navy, then you don't need to be in the Navy. As an JO (junior Officer) you are going to be doing some crappy stuff at first too. You are the low man on the toteum pole so to speak. So, be prepared and learn to suck it up.

I am sorry to be babbling on like this but hearing whiney stuff like that pisses me off.
irked_125.gif
I truly hope that you will remember all the minial tasks that you did while enlisted. So, that when you have to make your people do it, you will let them know that everyone has to do it. Most importantly, when you have to put people in other places don't forget about them. That hurts morale when they are cranking and no one in their parent divison says nothing to them at all. Always remember if it doesn't kill you, it will only make you stronger. Nothing that is worthwhile is easy.

Well, that is it for now. Leish is saying thank you for your attention. Carry on and have a nice day.

peineytan

crowbar and leish thanks for the time and input. i know what it's like in a civilian job and now the military. i'm just sorry i enlisted because i had a very good civlian job but thought i wanted something more exciting. i was wrong but i have to deal with it now, it's my mistake to experience but you're right, it will remind me what it felt like when i had to do the petty jobs. and av8tor, you don't know me and don't judge me for a simple comment i wrote about my job.

ldahla

hey everyone-
this might kind of a tedious question but i just want to know it for curiousity reasons. does the NAVY have hair requirements (besides the basic around the ears, no longer than a certain length) for people after OCS?? the reason i'm asking is because you see marines with the certain haircut, but you don't see all navy people with the "high and tight, crew cut" look. can someone please explain...?? just curious! basically, do you have more freedom on how you wear your have if you are in the NAVY after OCS?

PropStop

Kool-Aid free since 2001.
pilot
Contributor
much more freedom after OCS. you can have you hair however you like, so long as no individual hairs are longer than 3", the body of the hair does not exceed 2" fromyour scalp, no hair on your collar, and side burts to the top of where your ear meets your head.

really though, unless you're working around some high muckity muk nobody will care too much (or at least they won't say anything). I've seen some mighty wild hair. i keep mine high and tight just for ease of grooming - i'm never running on time you see.

Status
Not open for further replies.