• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

haircuts and liberty

Status
Not open for further replies.

peineytan

hello out there,
anybody know if females get haircuts too? i am enlisted and they butchered my hair at boot camp, i'd prefer, now that i know the regs, to cut my hair prior to showing up at ocs. is it also true you get liberty if you pass your first inspection?

Meridiani

Yes, females will get a haircut. Yes, once the class has secured (passed its first inspection), we'll be eligible for liberty, though priveledges can be revoked.

version2point0

liberty can only be given if you are secured. if your whole class passes first inspection, you become secured. but just because you are secured doesnt mean youve earned liberty. ive heard many stories where the class has become secured but the DI doesnt allow liberty. they can make up any reason they want to not give you liberty, too. the most common one i have heard is "you dont deserve it"

-v2.0

Brooke

Meridiani: Can you get your hair cut prior to start date? In other words, if I go get a nice haircut by a professional and it's within reg., will that be okay or are they hell bent on doing it when you get there? I'm thinking that the haircut may be part of the initial experience...but I really don't want my hair butchered!!! A very silly question, I know :)

Meridiani

Brooke, they will cut it no matter what! We're all going to look like dorks, but we'll be able to have it fixed later.
icon_smile_wink.gif

version2point0

why do you want a professional coiff in teh first place? the DIs will drill into you saying "this isnt a fashion show" and stuff like that. plus it will only be good for like a few minutes before they drill into you more for the rest of the first sunday and when you go to bed that night.

-v2.0

Brooke

Thanks for the opinions v2.o...but just b/c I'm going into the Navy doesn't mean I want to look like some butch dike. I take pride in my appearance, as with many other people (men or women), so if I'm going to have to wear my hair at a certain lenght I still want a decent cut. Call me superficial or girly, fact remains that if I can get my hair cut by a pro, then I'm going to. And why exactly will my DI say something about my hair? It's not like I'm going to go shake it in anyones face and be like "look at my hair, isn't it great!?!" That'd be a little silly.

PU Grad

MAC flight user
pilot
In that case let's keep it going. I have a feeling the only way that you could get away with your hair not being cut is if you went in there bald (both men and women). But I think that would be enough of a distinguishing mark that you would take some heat for it.

Kobyra

version2point0

i know thats not what you are intending, and i totally didnt mean to sound chauvanist, i was also just not wanting you to draw extra attention to yourself. ease the tension and all that. trust me, these guys find anything to comment on. the day you sign in youre going to get yelled at for no reason. theres a thread in the marine corps OCS section called "ocs quotes". in there, a girl got yelled at for chap stick. i mean, they just come up with stuff to yell about.

-v2.0

demax182

CEC Officer from Class 15-03
Yep, version2point0 is just looking after you. If your haircut looks bad, don't worry, you won't be thinking about it while you're at OCS. Trust me, you'll be stressing out over other things besides your hair.

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
The haircut IS part of the experience! Looking aweful is part of the experience. Pride in your personal appearance will be directed to uniform, brass, shoes, personal hygiene, etc. Your hair will look like crap precisely because everyone else will have hair that looks like crap. demax182 made the most germane comment.

Status
Not open for further replies.