• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Google Earth

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Good idea, but not new. Several studs in my class in HTs used it to get pictures of the checkpoints on the low level nav routes, but as someone already said, the res around Whiting is pretty low, and therefore not too good.

Coincidence? I think not. I don't care what Brett says, DOD is playing hardball w/ TRAWING 5 studs.

KBayDog

Good idea, but not new. Several studs in my class in HTs used it to get pictures of the checkpoints on the low level nav routes, but as someone already said, the res around Whiting is pretty low, and therefore not too good.

Yeah, I've heard about the guys who did (DO) that :) :

"This blurry greenish area is the pipeline intersection, which we will follow to this other greenish area, which is a bridge, which leads us to yet another blurry greenish area, which is an intersection of two blurry brownish roads..."

pdx

HSM Pilot
I used google earth for planning my VNAV routes in primary. It was useful (sort of). I was able to choose very distinctive looking things for all of my turn points rather than just relying on the icons on the sectional.

As for course rules, one of the main purposes of the first 4 fam flights is to show you the courserules. If you have memorized the FWOP definitions (intersection of highways XXX and YYY, approximate heading ZZZ) then you will be fine. Your instructor will point out what the features actually look like.

danthaman

The right to keep and bear arms
As always, Wiki knows all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Skies_Treaty

After reading the whole document, it appears this may not be as relevant as my Professor made it seem (The exact same question was asked in class: How can Google Earth put pictures of military bases on the internet?). Perhaps there was an extension of the concept used to allow civilian purpose satellite pictures? I do remember hearing about this when TerraServer posted pictures of 'Area 51' on the internet and subsequently in the newspapers.

And if your interested in checking out area 51 on google earth it can be easily found in high resolution at 37.14 N 115.49 W.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
HOLY @&#*!!!!! That runway is insane!!!!:eek: :eek:

Oh...wait...

14R/32L seems to have three "abandoned" runways attatched to it...ad them up and there is a 12 mile-ish strip of "runway" there. Must be the disguise for the secret Aurora testing strip...;)

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
What was more surprising to me was all the craters on the ground that turned out to be under ground nuclear weapons tests. That sealed off "Nevada Test Site" has a ton of disclosed and undisclosed interesting facilities.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
What was more surprising to me was all the craters on the ground that turned out to be under ground nuclear weapons tests. That sealed off "Nevada Test Site" has a ton of disclosed and undisclosed interesting facilities.

Everytime you fly over one of those test sites, it makes your wet compass spin at about 100 RPM - kooky.

Brett

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor

One of my "cooler" field trips - this is the biggest of the craters at NTS:

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
One of my "cooler" field trips - this is the biggest of the craters at NTS:

Wait... they let citizens visit that??? I am surprised I have never heard of ANYONE who has been there before that picture. How does one go see that stuff, or is it not allowed anymore?

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Wait... they let citizens visit that??? I am surprised I have never heard of ANYONE who has been there before that picture. How does one go see that stuff, or is it not allowed anymore?

Shocking, I know. Here's a lesson for you: Just because it hasn't occured to you, doesn't mean it is not done.

Nevada Test Site Tour Info

Brett

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
You mean there is an existance outside of what my 21 years of expertise in everything has provided??? ;)

LOL thanks for the link.