• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Google Earth

ArkhamAsylum

500+ Posts
pilot
I'm trying a (as far as I know) new concept in flight school gouge. If you've played around with Google Earth, you may have noticed that you can zoom in to a simulated 1500ft elevation and still have decent resolution. You can also insert placemarks.

Attached is a ZIP file containing about 20 landmarks for TW5 Primary course rules. You should be able to unzip the folder, then import the contents into the program.

Please, PM me if they don't work for you, or if you think they can be improved. I'm hoping that these can be mass-distributed to all new students.

Attachments

• TW5_Pri_CRs.ZIP
    19.8 KB · Views: 179

GMan1976

Banned
crazy, i just tried doing this today as a matter of fact. unfortunately, i feel like it was a giant waste of 2 hrs... most of the stuff near whiting is in poor res... def thanks for the waypts though! the ones that are clear (ex. chicken ranch) are def helpful...

onedge

pilot
In regards to Google Earth, doesen't it pose a threat to security via showing the layouts of every Naval base from here to there and back again?

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
Open Skies Treaty or Act or whatever...

That's how the bases 'outside of Nellis AFB' were found. The government would strongly prefer not to have the pictures taken I am sure, but they don't get much say. As a runner-up prize they do know when the pictures can be taken and know if there is something on the runway or ramp that needs to be moved out of sight... to do so.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
In regards to Google Earth, doesen't it pose a threat to security via showing the layouts of every Naval base from here to there and back again?

Perhaps we could put them under a big circus tent. ;)

Brett

onedge

pilot
Maybe put a giant happy face on the roof or just put a picutre of the MAD TV kid up there.

RHPF

pilot
Contributor
As always, Wiki knows all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Skies_Treaty

After reading the whole document, it appears this may not be as relevant as my Professor made it seem (The exact same question was asked in class: How can Google Earth put pictures of military bases on the internet?). Perhaps there was an extension of the concept used to allow civilian purpose satellite pictures? I do remember hearing about this when TerraServer posted pictures of 'Area 51' on the internet and subsequently in the newspapers.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As always, Wiki knows all. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Open_Skies_Treaty

After reading the whole document, it appears this may not be as relevant as my Professor made it seem (The exact same question was asked in class: How can Google Earth put pictures of military bases on the internet?). Perhaps there was an extension of the concept used to allow civilian purpose satellite pictures? I do remember hearing about this when TerraServer posted pictures of 'Area 51' on the internet and subsequently in the newspapers.

You may be interested to know that much of the data set used by Google/Terraserver/Mapquest, etc comes from some of the older KH satelites operated by the US, so I don't think the USG is too worried about it.

Brett

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I'm trying a (as far as I know) new concept in flight school gouge. If you've played around with Google Earth, you may have noticed that you can zoom in to a simulated 1500ft elevation and still have decent resolution. You can also insert placemarks.

Good idea, but not new. Several studs in my class in HTs used it to get pictures of the checkpoints on the low level nav routes, but as someone already said, the res around Whiting is pretty low, and therefore not too good.