• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

getting another degree

staff03

Not required, but highly recommended:

Do a search, but as to "best" time, you need to be concerned about Not Observed FITREPS. You want them to be observed as much as possible, especially the closer you get to O-4 promotion time frame. Full time masters is not observed. I'd say right after college, the joint masters-TPS program (if you can get in) or on your own time during a shore tour would be the best times.

So if you do it on your own time during shore duty does that get in the way of possibly going to TPS sometime in the future?

bert

Enjoying the real world
pilot
Contributor
So if you do it on your own time during shore duty does that get in the way of possibly going to TPS sometime in the future?

Unless you are a 1510 you must be able to complete TPS and the follow-on test tour payback without impacting your DH timing.

staff03

Is there any way that, once you have sworn in and have an OCS date, you can somehow push that date back so you can get an advanced degree before joining the Navy? Would it be possible to show that getting that degree before joining would help your career as an officer later on?

Rg9

pilot
Is there any way that, once you have sworn in and have an OCS date, you can somehow push that date back so you can get an advanced degree before joining the Navy? Would it be possible to show that getting that degree before joining would help your career as an officer later on?
Oh, man, you got me there. If you're doing OCS, the graduate-degree-upon-commissioning might not be an option. You'd probably have to move your OCS date back (like you said).

But... the Navy has many, many programs that aren't well known. See if you can do it after commissioning, or at least see if you can get it paid for.

staff03

Oh, man, you got me there. If you're doing OCS, the graduate-degree-upon-commissioning might not be an option. You'd probably have to move your OCS date back (like you said).

But... the Navy has many, many programs that aren't well known. See if you can do it after commissioning, or at least see if you can get it paid for.

Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it's even possible to move OCS date back for that reason? And where should I go to find out about these other lesser known programs?

Rg9

pilot
Thanks for the advice. Do you know if it's even possible to move OCS date back for that reason? And where should I go to find out about these other lesser known programs?
No I don't. And ask around, do searches, etc.

Sorry I couldn't help more.

E2Cougar

NFO
None
I know that Tuition Assistance will only cover a HIGHER degree than the one you already have. Don't know about any others.

I've been curious about this one too. I have my MS in Civil Engineering, and am interested in pursuing an MBA. Will tuition assistance not help me with this? If not, and I do use tuition assistance, I'm obligated to 10 more years after degree completion? How does the GI bill fit into this equation (especially with the new changes).

Kind of off topic but does the new GI bill pay off loans? I know one of the three proposals was supposed to - was it the one that passed?

Gator NFO

former TACAMO NFO
None
" GEN Petraeus and ADM Crowe are two examples of how the cream can rise to the top even taking time out for a PhD.
ADM Walsh, the current Vice CNO is also in the PhD club. He's an aviator and former Blue Angel. His record is impressive.

"He attended graduate studies in the International Relations curriculum at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, as part of the Admiral Arthur S. Moreau Scholarship Program. Adm. Walsh graduated first in his class and received a Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy degree, entered the Doctorate Program with distinction and subsequently received a Ph.D."

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
I've been curious about this one too. I have my MS in Civil Engineering, and am interested in pursuing an MBA. Will tuition assistance not help me with this? If not, and I do use tuition assistance, I'm obligated to 10 more years after degree completion? How does the GI bill fit into this equation (especially with the new changes).

Kind of off topic but does the new GI bill pay off loans? I know one of the three proposals was supposed to - was it the one that passed?

TA will in fact give you $250 per credit hour, up to 16 hours per year. So if the school you select is $350/credit hour, then you will have to pick up the $100 difference. TA only requires 2 years of concurrent service after completion of the funded course. So if you have exactly 2 years of obligation left after you complete the funded course, you are good, if you have less, you may be required to serve? or pay back a prorated portion of the TA. If you start an MBA in the middle of or towards the end of you fleet JO tour, you will be able to avoid the 2 year window. Once you meet the requirements to be allowed to take GI benefits, you will be able to use the benefits to pay for your graduate education. The new GI does not pay off loans. I don't think it is a good idea to use GI to pay a small tuition bill like in the example I provided, seeing that you may be able to pass the bene to your spouse or children.

eddie

Working Plan B
Contributor
ADM Walsh, the current Vice CNO is also in the PhD club. He's an aviator and former Blue Angel. His record is impressive.

"He attended graduate studies in the International Relations curriculum at the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy, Tufts University, as part of the Admiral Arthur S. Moreau Scholarship Program. Adm. Walsh graduated first in his class and received a Master of Arts in Law and Diplomacy degree, entered the Doctorate Program with distinction and subsequently received a Ph.D."

Going straight to you masters probably helps.

staff03

So I just talked to my recruiter today who is a young guy so he said he didn't have all of the answers so I hope I can get some he couldn't answer on here. He told me that there is an application you can do to try and move your OCS date back, but he wasn't sure for how long. Could I move it back long enough to get a masters? He then said that during your first shore tour you can apply to be an instructor, for example, and take night/long distance courses etc. to complete your masters. I was wondering if it is possible to do this and then once done can you apply to TPS? All I am trying to figure out is if I will have enough time to complete a masters and do something like TPS. I know it is a very long term goal that may not even be possible but I would like to know the possibilities available to me. Any info would be great, thanks.

Rg9

pilot
So I just talked to my recruiter today who is a young guy so he said he didn't have all of the answers...
Really? He didn't just guess?

To answer your questions... you can do a masters in as little as a year, but it depends on a lot of things. If you start early enough, depending on the school, you can take some upper level electives that also count towards grad degrees (i.e., 5xxx level classes). Again, depending on schools and degrees, a lot of them require you to TA or something else, which is one reason it takes longer than a year (along with your thesis). Talk to a guidance counselor or a professor in the field you want to do a masters at your school, as you may be able to start credit towards it early.

As to grad school on a shore tour, I don't see why you couldn't do that and TPS, as long as you get the degree done quickly. I didn't know this, but like said, it has to be done before DH time, which is probably around the 10-12 yr mark (so 3 yrs flight school/FRS, 3 yrs sea tour, 3 yrs shore tour/masters, 3 yrs TPS/follow-on? not sure of the time... = 12 yrs). You might be able to shorten that shore tour before TPS if you apply and get in at the beginning of it, especially if you start the masters while on the sea tour (so you're done early on in your shore tour). Keep in mind, though, that any masters while on active duty will be a part-time endeavor (unless you do something like AFIT or Navy Post-Grad School), so it will probably take at least a couple years.

Like said, you can actually apply for TPS w/o a masters or tech degree. You can also apply for the joint AFIT (Air Force Institute of Tech.) - TPS program, where you get a masters followed by TPS, and do that instead of the shore tour.

Anyone with more experience on this, please correct any errors. Hope this helps regardless.

staff03

What kind of qualifications do people usually have that do the joint AFIT/TPS thing? Are they usually tech degrees? And does anyone have any info on extending the OCS date to work at least somewhat on a degree. Thanks for the info Rg9.