• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

getting another degree

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I was accepted as SNA and I want an engineering degree for the reasons you mentioned and also because I would rather be an engineer rather than an economist when I get into the civilian world.

Just a little bit of reality for you here: you probably won't be an engineer going into the civilian world after you finish your SNA commitment. By then your degree will be 10 years old and you won't have used it. Your degree is relevant when you graduate college and go for that first job. After that, your experience is the most important thing on your resume, not your education. This is why officers separating from the service go into management and supervisory roles in the civilian world: it's what they have experience in.

staff03

When you get your masters on shore duty, do you have to find a college near where you are stationed or do you apply to different colleges and the Navy will let you go there? And I still think that getting an engineering degree after an initial 3 year sea duty will still look good to an employer who also considers you were flying planes for 8 years, that seems like expertise in the aerospace field to me that when couple with a degree would look pretty good??

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
When you get your masters on shore duty, do you have to find a college near where you are stationed or do you apply to different colleges and the Navy will let you go there? And I still think that getting an engineering degree after an initial 3 year sea duty will still look good to an employer who also considers you were flying planes for 8 years, that seems like expertise in the aerospace field to me that when couple with a degree would look pretty good??

There are programs wherein the military will send you to a grad-school full time. Usually that is Naval Postgrad, but there are fellowships and such at other schools. Not completely sure about the Nav, but in the Marines these are programs FOR PARTICULAR SCHOOLS, not just, "hmmm...UVA looks fun, think I'll apply there." These programs also come with specific obligations attached, usually a tour in the field you just studied (no free rides in the military).

If you're talking doing school on your own dime (or with GI Bill or TA) on your own time, it will have to be a nearby school, one with distance education (e.g. internet based), or one with a military extension campus. Most major Navy and Marine bases have 3-5 civilian schools that send civilian instructors to teach on base during off-duty hours. The degree programs vary, but are generally a combination of associates', bachelors', and masters' programs.

Some of the undergrad programs have technical majors, but most of the graduate programs are business, humanities, or soft sciences (e.g. sociology).

Also, I wouldn't consider FLYING planes aerospace engineering experience, unless it's a job like flight test, or possibly working for a NAVAIR depot, though that one is stretching it. The technical demands of aviation are not that rigorous, at least engineering-wise.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
You might find some reserve DCO's that have some, but they are reservists and nerds anyways, just ask FlyinSpy.

Hey! Was I just insulted...or complimented? Or both?

Flash is right, though - Big Navy's outlook on advanced degrees tends to be "Right, you've got a Masters, shows at least some level of intelligence and stick-tuitiveness, ok, +1 to you at promotion board time, on to the next check-in-the-block." In general, the time it would take you to get a PhD on active duty would take you out of the running from a lot of competitve jobs, and give you several 1-of-1 / Not Observed FITREPs, which will make you very non-competitive come board time. Not to say it can't be done, though - GEN Petraeus and ADM Crowe are two examples of how the cream can rise to the top even taking time out for a PhD (COL H.R. McMaster is another blue-chip spud f@cker), but these guys are definitely the exception.

Having said that - if you want a PhD, and realize getting one on active duty is likely a career-limiting option, then go for it. It will probably take you off the fast track, but in the end you'd have a sheepskin that says PhD. The fast track generally leaves you with an ulcer and hair loss.

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL

Flash is right, though - Big Navy's outlook on advanced degrees tends to be "Right, you've got a Masters, shows at least some level of intelligence and stick-tuitiveness, ok, +1 to you at promotion board time, on to the next check-in-the-block." In general, the time it would take you to get a PhD on active duty would take you out of the running from a lot of competitve jobs, and give you several 1-of-1 / Not Observed FITREPs, which will make you very non-competitive come board time. Not to say it can't be done, though - GEN Petraeus and ADM Crowe are two examples of how the cream can rise to the top even taking time out for a PhD (COL H.R. McMaster is another blue-chip spud f@cker), but these guys are definitely the exception.

Having said that - if you want a PhD, and realize getting one on active duty is likely a career-limiting option, then go for it. It will probably take you off the fast track, but in the end you'd have a sheepskin that says PhD. The fast track generally leaves you with an ulcer and hair loss.
Thanks for the info. I for sure then would like to get my MA at the very least. If feasible, then I will try for my PhD as well if it makes sense and fits within the context of my Navy career.

There is so much I would like to do during my time in the Navy. Serving on an aircraft carrier, attached to an air wing, doing an IA tour (maybe even 2), and eventually, an embassy posting would be awesome if I could get it (like 12-15 years down the line).

What is "fast track"?

Rg9

pilot
What is "fast track"?
The "correct" way to make promotion, etc. In other words, doing what the Navy wants (career wise) when they want you to do it. Full time graduate degrees are generally not on the "fast track", but they still want you to have one (read: on your own time).

phrogdriver

More humble than you would understand
pilot
Super Moderator
There is so much I would like to do during my time in the Navy. Serving on an aircraft carrier, attached to an air wing, doing an IA tour (maybe even 2), and eventually, an embassy posting would be awesome if I could get it (like 12-15 years down the line).

Just remember to take it one step at a time. There's not sense getting worked up about a B-billet/disassociated tour when you haven't even attended, much less graduated from flight school yet. A 5-year plan is a good idea, a 15-year plan will probably keep your head in the clouds, but not your feet on the ground.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Serving on an aircraft carrier, attached to an air wing, doing an IA tour (maybe even 2), and eventually, an embassy posting would be awesome if I could get it (like 12-15 years down the line).
Pardon my forwardness......but did you ride the short bus to school?:D You won't have time for a SEAL transition.:D

jorgelito

PRO-REC INTEL
Pardon my forwardness......but did you ride the short bus to school?:D You won't have time for a SEAL transition.:D

It's cool. Is IA only for SEALS then? I'd like to take advantage of any opportunity that comes up that will garner me lots of experience.

Rg9

pilot
It's cool. Is IA only for SEALS then? I'd like to take advantage of any opportunity that comes up that will garner me lots of experience.
No, I think that was a joke. A lot of aviation officers have done it. I've heard discussion about them getting rid of it, though, but don't quote me on that.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Ummmm, both?! ;)

GEN Petraeus and ADM Crowe are two examples of how the cream can rise to the top even taking time out for a PhD (COL H.R. McMaster is another blue-chip spud f@cker), but these guys are definitely the exception.

I believe all three were selected for special programs offered by the military, I believe that McMaster was even a fellow at a think tank. They are out there, but they are rare and usually given to very 'fast movers'.

No, I think that was a joke. A lot of aviation officers have done it. I've heard discussion about them getting rid of it, though, but don't quote me on that.

IA's are for everyone, Aviators to Intel O's. They are calling them something else now and working them in between PCS's, but they are going to be around for a very long time I think.

Rg9

pilot
...IA's are for everyone, Aviators to Intel O's. They are calling them something else now and working them in between PCS's, but they are going to be around for a very long time I think.
Ok. Good to know. Perhaps what I heard only had to do with a name change...

staff03

I know this is wishful thinking for the future, but just in case I was curious if you can even do TPS without a technical degree? And if not, when in a career would be the best time to try and get a technical degree to qualify? Again I know this is very wishful thinking for the distant future but I was just curious. Thanks

Rg9

pilot
I know this is wishful thinking for the future, but just in case I was curious if you can even do TPS without a technical degree? And if not, when in a career would be the best time to try and get a technical degree to qualify? Again I know this is very wishful thinking for the distant future but I was just curious. Thanks
Not required, but highly recommended:

http://www.navair.navy.mil/USNTPS/apply.htm

Even if you don't have an undergrad tech degree, you still can do a tech masters. That's probably what you'd want to do if you want to be competitive.

You can try to do AFIT/NPS after your first sea tour or right after commissioning like I did (not sure how hard it is to get in nowadays since I think they stopped the specific program I did). They have a joint graduate degree-TPS program, but you might need a tech undergrad to get in. You can also apply to stay at your college and finish a masters, or pick up a masters later on your own time (again, probably after your first sea tour).

Do a search, but as to "best" time, you need to be concerned about Not Observed FITREPS. You want them to be observed as much as possible, especially the closer you get to O-4 promotion time frame. Full time masters is not observed. I'd say right after college, the joint masters-TPS program (if you can get in) or on your own time during a shore tour would be the best times.