• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

George P Bush Joins the Navy.......

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Flash if thats the case I think it lends even more credit to the idea that this is nothing more then Political Resume building. And Ill bet whenever this guy does decide to pursue a military career the fact that he was in the Navy, be it in a very limited capacity as you just said, it will come up to his benefit.

If you want to serve in this capacity fine, but after the experiance Ive had with the Air Force medical corps I could put money that most of these people see themselves as whatever their job is first and members of the military second. Wanna piss a military doctor off call him by his rank, thats what my NCO father would do when he had some piss ant Captain that wanted his free ride through medical school and saw his service to Uncle Sam as mearly paying back a debt and failed to live up to the expectations one should have of Officers.

Keep in mind this is the exact reason I picked the Marine Corps above all the other services.

I have had experience with medical corps officers from all of the services (as has my wife) and I have had very good experiences with the vast majority of them. Some of those piss-ant Capt's (USAF included) are risking their lives in Iraq and Afghanistan treating casualties, including Marines. As for pissing off Doc's by calling them their rank that has never been the case with me, I have no idea where the heck you have been getting treated.......oh yeah, a Naval Hospital......

Like I said before, DIRCOM works for the Navy. If it is not the USMC then what the hell is your problem? Without the Navy and the USAF the USMC would be reduced to thumbing for rides.......Plus, have you ever dealt with any of them? I have, Pugs has, and we both agree it is a good program.

As for questioning the motives of George P Bush, where do you get off doing that? No one here knows the real reason why he joined so why speculate? He doesn't have to do it in the first place, it is not a requirement for a political career if that is what he wants to do. Good on him.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Im saying in this case I highly doubt his motivation is anything outside of political planning.

And once again...I ask you....who cares?? He rasied his right hand, and volunteered to serve. Who the hell are you to critique what manner, and for what reason he does it.

Are you telling me that you think people who join for the Navy College Fund are somehow less deserving than folks who enlist or join because they want to fight the war on terrorism???

Get a clue.

FlyinSpy

Mongo only pawn, in game of life...
Contributor
I've served in a combat zone with several DIRCOM Intel types including FlyinSpy. They were superior in every respect
Pugs: $20 inbound via Paypal... :)

In all seriousness, though, we can all hypothesize any number of reasons why someone like George P might choose to pursue the route he has. Even if his motives were purely selfish and along the lines of "enhance future political viability", I can't say it really bothers me that much. Why? Because the Navy will get it's pound of flesh, eventually. Even if you served the absolute bare minimum commitment, the Navy comes out ahead on the deal. It's low cost, and because the selection filter is kind of high, it doesn't attract many (any?) dirtballs.

Take for example the Hill staffer who gets his ear whispered into by the Navy legislative liaison about the DIRCOM intel program. He rogers up, gets whisked through the process, and presto - shake-n-bake naval officer. Now, does the Navy get their ROI (that's return on investment) from blood sweat and tears deckplates DIVO leadership? Hell no. It gets it when the Defense Authorization bill comes up, and there's that extra EA-18Gs the Navy was hoping for. Or the Milcon $$ that they didn't really "deserve", but got anyway because of a discretionary call on the part of a staffer. Anything extra the Navy gets in the way of production is gravy. Has the Navy, in a Machiavellian sense, come out ahead on this deal? You betcha. When they commission a prior Service E, they get a hard charger who is motivated, dedicated, and bleeds Navy Blue. When they commission an idiot savant (me again...), they get 18 years professional experience for an O-3 <8 wages.

When ENS George Bush finishes his oath, the Navy will have gotten a) a good PR source, b) an extra split-second of consideration when the Pres is thinking about defense issues, c) a mechanism by which they can get the ear of the President (indirectly) while the Bush family is swapping turkey at Thanksgiving dinner, d) a mobilizable body, e) some cheap help that can, after a spin-up period, probably contribute some useful man-hours to the Cause. If George P is motivated and interested, he could easily find himself in the Sandbox within a couple of years - he wouldn't be eligible any earlier than that. What you do in the Reserve intel community is heavily dependent on your degree of self motivation; you can coast and do essentially nothing, or you can lean forward and get yourself into some cool jobs. So far, I've been the poster boy for "cool jobs", and have loved every minute of it. (Almost.)

Are there gaps in military professional knowledge or leadership skills among this cohort of DIRCOMs? Sure, but they are leavened out by what they are bringing to the table. Leadership and management skills are learned traits, and you don't necessarily have to run the Yellow Brick Road or survive Plebe Year to learn them.

Big Navy has it figured out - there are no free rides, and the ROI on both sides pretty much evens out. As Flash mentioned, they're not looking for URL types to throw into the breach. They're looking for (already) skilled labor that has some real life experience and maturity (there are no 22 year old DIRCOMs) that they can throw a uniform on, run through some rudimentary training, and expect it to stick.

MasterBates

Get a clue.

I got a cluebat. Does that help?

imperial_clue_bat.jpg

HAL Pilot

None
Contributor
You're way out of your lane in here.
He just doesn't understand that if you skip the Yuts, Oorahs and Semper Fis that you can give a Navy Reserve DCO basic officer knowledges in less than 10 weeks of OCS and 6 months of TBS.....

MasterBates

If they were able to beat basic Naval Officer stuff into my thick skull in 13 weeks, they should be able to teach some highly skilled egghead we need in 2.

11 of my 13 weeks were spent in random beatdowns, organized beatdowns, personal beatdowns, API Swims, or just plain waiting... :D

Mumbles

pilot
Contributor
at least it wasn't Jeb's daughter going into our intel community...:icon_tong
story_noelle_booking.jpg

Lawman

None
You're way out of your lane in here.

Im not the only one that thinks so. Go back and read FlyinSpy's post on the program he pretty much insinuates what Ive just flat out said.

My biggest beef with this whole thing is just the political nature of it. And not just for soon-to-be Ensign Bush. No this has much more far reaching press friendly parts to it we have yet to see. How often did they keep dropping it in that McCain supported the surge which would send his son to Iraq. How often is the Political power that be going to claim that because of this instance they suddenly have a horse in this race allowing them to claim a deeper affection for the military then the other side and so on and so forth. Can our political masters not consider the ramifications of their actions because they dont have service members in their family? Man this makes me really wish sometimes for a Starship Troopers/Spartan style system of citizenship.

And Flash yes the medical facilities Ive been in (and there have been quite a few lately with the whole NPQ deal) have been pretty well run overall. Bethesda was amazing, but then again when your the primary care center for all of DC's government employees that tends to happen. However as my father (retired Med Tech) will tell you that has more to do with the fact you have on average 4 times the number of SNCO's running around the place. And oh there is still plenty of the BS stuff we all know and love, the problems I ran into more delt with the fact that it seemed as though the chain of command was nonexistant above the NCOIC of whatever department you were in combine that with the whole team system that hospitals love to use and your whole system of accountability just goes straight to hell. I had to track down an E-9 in order to get something it shouldnt have taken multiple requests to do. Its just ..... Nasty :D

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Im saying in this case I highly doubt his motivation is anything outside of political planning. "

You are not qualified to speak to people's motivations other than your own. He wants to serve and is qualified for the program. I suspect that he will be a valuable asset.

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
Pugs beat me to it, but I'll agree.

Lawman, you've really gotta have some deep insights to see what kind of motivations this guy has for joining the Navy. As for being Intel, I've known several and they didn't exactly have cushy jobs.

Something tells me that both sides of the isle will use this as some sort of political motivation. That's unfortunate, as G.P. will probably have to deal with that as long as he's in.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Im not the only one that thinks so. Go back and read FlyinSpy's post on the program he pretty much insinuates what Ive just flat out said.

My biggest beef with this whole thing is just the political nature of it. And not just for soon-to-be Ensign Bush. No this has much more far reaching press friendly parts to it we have yet to see. How often did they keep dropping it in that McCain supported the surge which would send his son to Iraq. How often is the Political power that be going to claim that because of this instance they suddenly have a horse in this race allowing them to claim a deeper affection for the military then the other side and so on and so forth. Can our political masters not consider the ramifications of their actions because they dont have service members in their family? Man this makes me really wish sometimes for a Starship Troopers/Spartan style system of citizenship.

Man you are cynical..........:( Of course the Corps never plays political games when it comes to recruits........:eek:

bowe.JPG

As for the whole Starship Troopers/Spartan systems of citizenship, both the fictional and real governments were borderline facist.........nice systems.......:icon_roll