• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

JayJackJr87

Here is what i got. None of the questions were straight forward so i can't recall most of them. it seem like they were two part questions.

-what about your character or experience makes you think you will be good officer?
-how did you feel when you got your Associates?
-drawing from your experience, what will you take with you to help lead a division?
-do you know the EMO on your last ship.
-do you remember the SWO's on your ship? what did they do that you thought was great leadership/make you want to be an officer?
-do you understand what you are applying for?

I'm not even sure if some of these were asked because of the way they phrased the questions. thats all i can remember.

A_Wand

FY12/13 ALT FY14 CANDIDATE
Hi everyone....
long-time stalker on this site, and I have to say that it has really helped... So, I joined to do my part for those who don't want to sign up. lol

I am a 2-time alternate for FY12/13.. so hopefully this is my year!

I am open to questions ;)

JoeNAVY

Hi everyone....
long-time stalker on this site, and I have to say that it has really helped... So, I joined to do my part for those who don't want to sign up. lol

Good to have you here! What program are you applying for?

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Alternate two years in a row ??? JESUS !!! I can't imagine how much that hurts. My confidence level just went from about a 9 down to a 5 or 6. WTH?

jwagg49

CEC Alternate last year
Alternate two years in a row ??? JESUS !!! I can't imagine how much that hurts. My confidence level just went from about a 9 down to a 5 or 6. WTH?

Looking at the two messages it seems three people were actually double alternates.

A_Wand

yea.. it hurts.. but still makes me hopeful for this year!

The first year I was a HR/Core, and was CORE alt.. last year i went just for CORE.

I am getting to the age waiver limit, so this is my last year for CORE.

If i dont get picked up this year.. omg, i'm going to flip on someone!

JoeNAVY

That is rough! I couldn't imagine being an ALT two years in a row. Hopefully this year you will lock in one of those CORE seats! Lets just hope they stop taking so many NUKES and start spreading out the quotas.

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
That is rough! I couldn't imagine being an ALT two years in a row. Hopefully this year you will lock in one of those CORE seats! Lets just hope they stop taking so many NUKES and start spreading out the quotas.

The aviator forums are slow so I stopped by to see the annual STA wait. I wanted to end this thought. The way it was explained to me is that each community (pilot, nfo, cec, nuke, swo, etc) have to authorize the money to fully fund the STA program. With the current budget situation and the fact we have more college graduates asking to join the Navy than we need only the Nuke community annually agrees to fully fund STA which is why they have not seen a drop off in selections. What I don't know is who is on the hook for the CORE option which I was selected for in FY08.

JayJackJr87

Hi everyone....

what improvements did you make each year? I was under the impression if you make alternate and show "great" improvements the following year, you have a strong chance.

SuperDuper

FY14 STA-21 Applicant
Had my board on Friday. It was with six officers since my command isn't near any other command. We were waived from the external board. I don't know how that will affect selection :confused: But here are some questions I was asked. I think I did pretty well, but we will see.

Why do you want to be an Officer/pilot?
Give examples of good and bad leadership you've seen in the Navy.
What is your greatest success in your lifetime? Greatest failure?
Why should you be chosen over everyone else for this program?
Walk me through the pilot pipeline.
Let's say you stay in the Navy and make Master Chief instead of going Officer. Would you be satisfied?
What are 3 characteristics you think I'm going to write on your interview sheet?
What is the relationship between a DIVO and an LCPO? How will you use that relationship? What if you have a shitty chief?
Why didn't you finish your degree before enlisting? (I enlisted with my associate's degree)
Do you think you are a leader now? Why?
What steps will you take in the very near future (in the next few months) to take on even more leadership?
Has there ever been a time where you didn't give 110%? Will you always give 110% as an Officer?

I had the same board and a lot of the same questions! By the time we got down to Officer's #5 and #6, I was also getting questions like

"So, since everything I had has already been asked... What are you hobbies?"

Being at an isolated intel command, the closest to 'in the community' we could get was one prior Aviator and one prior NFO. With both of these gentlemen on my board, another Officer asked me

"Why do you want to be a Pilot instead of a NFO?"

That question made everyone chuckle, but the prior NFO had stepped out. When he returned, the question was put up to me again in a manner that suggested it hadn't been asked before, ha! :D My advice for your board would be stay professional, don't speak unless you know what you're saying, and stay candid/honest. They will notice and appreciate honesty, and they will also catch you if you contradict yourself anywhere.

I've finished up my CO's interview now and have nothing more to complete for this year's package. Four months left until selections come out!

ohnoitslizz

FY-19 LDO Applicant
Hi everyone. I, too, have been a long time "stalker" without posting. This is my first year applying and I am applying for SWO/CORE. I am still waiting for two LOR's to come in any day now and excitedly awaiting to mail off my package and begin the waiting game with you all.

Good luck to all of you!

I am helping a number of Sailors compile information and begin their process for next year's package. I would like to ask, was there anything that surprised any of you throughout this process that you would advise new applicants to be aware of?

Robert Allen

I've fixed them, now I fly them!
I had the same board and a lot of the same questions! By the time we got down to Officer's #5 and #6, I was also getting questions like

"So, since everything I had has already been asked... What are you hobbies?"

Being at an isolated intel command, the closest to 'in the community' we could get was one prior Aviator and one prior NFO. With both of these gentlemen on my board, another Officer asked me

"Why do you want to be a Pilot instead of a NFO?"

That question made everyone chuckle, but the prior NFO had stepped out. When he returned, the question was put up to me again in a manner that suggested it hadn't been asked before, ha! :D My advice for your board would be stay professional, don't speak unless you know what you're saying, and stay candid/honest. They will notice and appreciate honesty, and they will also catch you if you contradict yourself anywhere.

I've finished up my CO's interview now and have nothing more to complete for this year's package. Four months left until selections come out!
My board was quite simpler. They asked be personal questions to I think get me confortable. Then asked the tougher questions and would rephrase questions if I didnt give them quite the answer they wanted. The final question was "What can you offer to my wardroom over everyone else?"

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Hello everyone ... I had a chance to take a peek at my evaluation sheets and I was blown away. I got some of the strongest comments from all the board members. I have a strong feeling that this is my year ..... I should have my package in the mail by early next week. Hope everyone else is doing well.

A_Wand

what improvements did you make each year? I was under the impression if you make alternate and show "great" improvements the following year, you have a strong chance.

the main thing i did was complete my AA, and bulk up my pers. stmt and Co recommendation.