• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 STA-21 Applicants

A_Wand

FY12/13 ALT FY14 CANDIDATE
Man, this time last year, it seems like there were way more posts.. slow this year, eh? I hope that is a good sign!!

Doc B-dorf

No FY15 Program for me! Almost done w/school!
the main thing i did was complete my AA, and bulk up my pers. stmt and Co recommendation.

I think completing your AA will go a long way. Unless of course you just completed alcoholics anonymous, but hey that could be seen as a good thing also. :p

Jennifer Båtstad

FY-13 STA-21 Selectee
Man, this time last year, it seems like there were way more posts.. slow this year, eh? I hope that is a good sign!!

Don't take the silence as an indication of a low number of applicants, necessarily. A lot of people just lurk and most applicants don't know about this forum.

For those of you who DO end up getting selected (and I pray there are MANY), don't underestimate the Facebook website for more up-to-date gouge on what to expect and/or bring with you to NSI in Newport, RI. A lot of people in our class didn't know about it, and a lot of good gouge (and some not so good gouge) was being passed around.

Just search for "Seaman-To-Admiral 21" and it should pop up. It's quiet this time of year, but once selection results are released, it'll be your best source of information from NSI alumni. I just thought I'd share. Good luck, everyone!

Jennifer Båtstad

FY-13 STA-21 Selectee
I see in previous posts, people were sharing questions from their boards. Here's one from my first internal board that I thought might make you chuckle... and is the perfect example of what NOT to say.

I was a very, very junior AT3 at the time that I submitted my first package in FY12. A LT from my command (a whopping FIVE-time STA-21 applicant himself) asked me, "What makes you think you're the best AT3 in this command to be selected for this program?"

To which I so eloquently replied, "Well, sir... I'm the ONLY AT3 in this command who is applying for this program."

Ba dum dum dum. The board had a good chuckle over it, and then coached me on how they'd like me to answer that question if ever asked again at my approaching external board. I felt pretty stupid about it, but in my defense, it was only of my first major boards. I didn't even have my EAWS yet.

I mentioned the LT who applied 5x for the benefit of those of you who have applied multiple times. You never know what the board is looking for, so don't give up.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Don't take the silence as an indication of a low number of applicants, necessarily. A lot of people just lurk and most applicants don't know about this forum.

For those of you who DO end up getting selected (and I pray there are MANY), don't underestimate the Facebook website for more up-to-date gouge on what to expect and/or bring with you to NSI in Newport, RI. A lot of people in our class didn't know about it, and a lot of good gouge (and some not so good gouge) was being passed around.

Just search for "Seaman-To-Admiral 21" and it should pop up. It's quiet this time of year, but once selection results are released, it'll be your best source of information from NSI alumni. I just thought I'd share. Good luck, everyone!

Thanks for the Info Jennifer. I just requested to join the Facebook group. It seems like there is tons of selectees there to get info on colleges. Im having a hard time communicating with the admission counselors.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
Hope everyone will have their package in on time. I should have mine mailed off by tomorrow or Wednesday.

navyITman88

FY14 STA-21 Applicant
Hey everyone. Long time lurker here (like Jennifer mentioned earlier) but also a four time applicant. I thought I was overdue for getting in on these discussions, so here I am. Good luck all...hope to see some of your names on the list in the fall (including mine :)).

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
I feel like I've run into a bit of a problem. I am looking around into the various colleges so that I can prepare my applications for the upcoming school year in preparation for selection. The issue that I am having is that the age limit for the SWO(IP) program is that I must be commissioned before my 28th birthday. I am currently 25 and will be 26 by the time we start school next year. That leaves me with less than two years to complete my degree.

I have already completed about 66 SH of school work with Brandman University and am only about 4 classes away from graduation. Bottom line is that I'm having a hard time figuring out which major to apply for with these big schools that will allow me to graduate in my allotted time. Without knowing which of my classes will be allowed to transfer over to their degree requirements until I apply is kind of a pain in the @$$.

Every time I try to contact the admissions offices, their usual response is that they don't provide any "pre-evaluations" of transcripts and that they only evaluate them officially when the student submits the application. Last year I was cutting it close with my degree plan with just under 3 years to graduate in a Computer Science major at Texas A&M. So I can pretty much rule that degree out.

Have any of the prior selectees had a similar problem? If so, how did you deal with it? I would hate to be selected for the program then come to find out that I cannot graduate in time and loose a primary spot after all this hard work.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I feel like I've run into a bit of a problem. I am looking around into the various colleges so that I can prepare my applications for the upcoming school year in preparation for selection. The issue that I am having is that the age limit for the SWO(IP) program is that I must be commissioned before my 28th birthday. I am currently 25 and will be 26 by the time we start school next year. That leaves me with less than two years to complete my degree.

I have already completed about 66 SH of school work with Brandman University and am only about 4 classes away from graduation. Bottom line is that I'm having a hard time figuring out which major to apply for with these big schools that will allow me to graduate in my allotted time. Without knowing which of my classes will be allowed to transfer over to their degree requirements until I apply is kind of a pain in the @$$.

Every time I try to contact the admissions offices, their usual response is that they don't provide any "pre-evaluations" of transcripts and that they only evaluate them officially when the student submits the application. Last year I was cutting it close with my degree plan with just under 3 years to graduate in a Computer Science major at Texas A&M. So I can pretty much rule that degree out.

Have any of the prior selectees had a similar problem? If so, how did you deal with it? I would hate to be selected for the program then come to find out that I cannot graduate in time and loose a primary spot after all this hard work.

It's good you were/are wanting an engineering degree as the Navy is all about technical degrees now. However, if your time to complete a degree will be an issue I'd suggest looking into an easier degree. I completed a business degree in less than 3 years and only had ~24 transfer hours accepted. And that's with taking the bare minimum 12-15 hours a semester. I could have easily added another 2 classes each semester and finished early but I was enjoying my downtime as a college student. The engineering OCs at my school were taking over 20 hours every semester of harder engineering level classes so if you take 20 hours a semester of an easier degree you should be okay. If your school's admission department won't help you out I'd suggest getting in touch with your NROTC unit and ask one of the LTs to help you out. Maybe they can pull some strings or have you talk to some of the OCs there that went through what you are going through now.

Hope the engineering degree works for you but if not consider an easier degree that still allows you to earn your commission. Good luck!

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
For those of you who have applied multiple times, when can this year's applicants expect to hear a yea or nay? I FEDEX'd in one of my Sailors' packages today and am curious how quickly the boards usually spit results back out.

A_Longo88

"Wild Horse"
None
ac2NASTY - Thanks for the advice

Recovering LSO - Board in September and Message with results in October.

Estuckey

Hi everyone,

I've been a long time stalker of this forum and thought I would stop in and say hey and good luck to everyone. I just shipped off my first package last week. Hopefully the wait isn't to killer.

navyITman88

FY14 STA-21 Applicant
Great to hear Estuckey...what option are you applying for??

A_Longo - pulling for ya! You were an alternate last year weren't you? I switched options this year to SWO/IP. I am glad they gave us a heads up ahead of time on zero select options but wished quotas altogether were higher for everyone's sake especially those who don't have much of a choice in the options they can apply for.