• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 IDC DCO Boards

So from everything I've read, those who have been selected should find out in two weeks - is that correct? I've seen posts that some have access to the select list right away? Does anyone know where that list is posted or how to obtain access to it? I know recruiters should be able to tell you, but they are not always easy to get a hold of. Two more weeks....good luck to everyone that has a package in!

This is my third time applying and I will say that I found out the friday of the board week on here (thanks to some very helpful AirWarriors members) well before my command or even my recruiter found out. They didnt know until the following week. That being said, I hope that the people who do have access to the list will make themselves available on 21st to help people find out the results. ;-)

I am very excited this time around. I think that this will finally be it for me. I even took the day off of work because I will be too nervous to do anything that day. Then once I find out, I will either be too happy or disappointed to function. lol.

11 more days until we find out guys!!!

uabmedic

Fingers crossed for all involved! This is my second attempt, but this time I included a LOR from a RDML and a congressional recommendation.

@John H Vanderpool do you anticipate having a copy of this list like you did last time?

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
One more week to go! This is my first time actually getting a package to a board, but I started this process almost 2 years ago! After countless conversations and meetings with with various Naval Officers and 3 different recruiters I'm hoping all the effort will pay off with good news next week. Good luck everyone!

Fingers crossed for all involved! This is my second attempt, but this time I included a LOR from a RDML and a congressional recommendation.

@John H Vanderpool do you anticipate having a copy of this list like you did last time?

I dont understand how people get LORs from flag officers and politicians? I sure as hell dont have those contacts..

Anyway, I took the 21st off of work. I am either going to be too excited or disappointed to work. lol. I do hope that somebody with access to the list will make themselves available to us on Friday though... Good luck all!

uabmedic

I dont understand how people get LORs from flag officers and politicians? I sure as hell dont have those contacts..

Anyway, I took the 21st off of work. I am either going to be too excited or disappointed to work. lol. I do hope that somebody with access to the list will make themselves available to us on Friday though... Good luck all!

My advice would be to identify people who you think would be helpful - be they flag officers, politicians, or other - and then reach out and ask them for an in-person, formal meeting (ie - wear a suit and tie if granted). I would be 100% upfront and tell them your intentions (wanting an LOR) but also be clear that you don't expect an LOR just because they took the meeting; rather, you want the chance to impress them and explain why you're the best person for the job. Granted, there is a space on the accompanying reference form that asks them how long they've known you, but there's no rule (to my knowledge) that dictates a minimum amount of acceptable time.

Hope this helps and good luck!

BusyBee604

St. Francis/Hugh Hefner Combo!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Granted, there is a space on the accompanying reference form that asks them how long they've known you, but there's no rule (to my knowledge) that dictates a minimum amount of acceptable time.
LORs that come from a person who was in a position to have observed your qualities/work ethic/personal integrity/potential, etc, make the most effective LORs, i.e. work Supervisors/Managers, Teachers/Professor/ Coaches, Boy/Girl Scout Leaders; if military, unit Officers. High ranking Officers or Politicians are eye-catchers to the board, but their impact depends upon how well they are written. A standard fill in the blanks "boilerplate" form LOR is not nearly as effective as the aforementioned writers. Much depends on the writing skills of the originator, and any indication of familiarity with all your qualities, and leadership potential, is golden.;)
BzB

Sheepdip

Contributor
LORs from politicians and Flag officers, while not overlooked, do not carry the weight a lot of people think they do - unless they qualify their content with something like "I have know applicant snuffy for 10 years - or he has worked directly for me for 5 years." I have worked in politics and wrote a number of military recommendations. I never knew enough about the candidates to give them an outstanding recommendation, just the type of recommendation you would expect.

Before I entered the service I thought long and hard about who to get my recommendations from. I still believe, and got similar feedback from interview/appraisals folks, that the letter from a friend who at the time was an E4/OS3 was far and away the best and had the greatest impact on my application.

uabmedic

LORs from politicians and Flag officers, while not overlooked, do not carry the weight a lot of people think they do - .

It would seem that these types of LORs could actually be detrimental if used improperly. That is, if the LOR in question was one of the strongest of the three or four submitted yet still lacked the 'umph' that you mentioned.

In my case, my Flag Officer LOR was from a colleague with whom I work closely each day and who was thus able to write a strong letter attesting to those qualities you mentioned.

My congressional recommendation is strong because I took the 15 allotted minutes to sell myself and explain why I was the best person for the job ... rather than simply ask for a favor. However, this letter in and of itself would, as you said, be essentially useless relative to the "whole package".

cg007

It would seem that these types of LORs could actually be detrimental if used improperly. That is, if the LOR in question was one of the strongest of the three or four submitted yet still lacked the 'umph' that you mentioned.

In my case, my Flag Officer LOR was from a colleague with whom I work closely each day and who was thus able to write a strong letter attesting to those qualities you mentioned.

My congressional recommendation is strong because I took the 15 allotted minutes to sell myself and explain why I was the best person for the job ... rather than simply ask for a favor. However, this letter in and of itself would, as you said, be essentially useless relative to the "whole package".

Good Luck to all. My package will be going to the boards hopefully in October...PAO. It's an honor to have made it this far.

Well... I am waiting for results this Friday as I know many of you are. Its getting harder not to think about it as it gets closer.