• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY14 IDC DCO Boards

This March will be my 3rd DCO application. Hoping 3rd time is a charm! This time I have an EP eval, CISM certification, and I got my EIDWS pin. I hope that is enough to put me over the top. My friend that I applied with last time got picked up and just got pinned last week. Now it is my turn!

IntelNinja

I get to make up my own? Hmm...
Got my COMDOCS today! I'll have to wait until March to commission, due to current occupational deployment circumstances and when I'll be CONUS again to drill, but Happy Day!

Where is everybody at?! Last year this forum was buzzing with activity for DCO applicants. I guess I am the only one who hasent made it in the past year lol! lol.. (half joking). So who else is applying for IDC DCO in March?

geodetective

Where is everybody at?! Last year this forum was buzzing with activity for DCO applicants. I guess I am the only one who hasent made it in the past year lol! lol.. (half joking). So who else is applying for IDC DCO in March?

My kit is in, CTN. This is my first look for Intel. Good luck to you.

RJS

I wonder if those, who are applying for the upcoming board, have a superstition that if said something, they may not be selected. It may also be that they'd like to post after they've completed OCS. At least that's what I've been seeing. I submitted back in November after waiting to get a waiver approved for an RE code. I Missed the Nov. 4 due to this. Applied for all IDC communities, SWO, and Supply. Been fighting some uphill battles for the last 2 years. Praying that something happens first time around. Good luck to those who applied. Hope to hear and give good news. Be blessed.

RJS

hopeful_one

Cryptologic Warfare Officer
Hey all,

So I've been lurking on here on and off for a while. I finally have everything in for my package and my recruiter told me everything I needed has been submitted for the March board. I've made attempts at putting together packages in the past, but have not been able to obtain endorsements from the AOIC/OIC previously. This time I was able to get an endorsement from the AOIC for the region and provided my own IDC officer interviews. So those are where my questions lie. Is the AOIC endorsement acceptable in place of the OIC endorsement? And are the officer interviews I have done on my own (all 10's) acceptable in place of a panel interview (which I didn't do because slots were full)? According to my recruiter and the AOIC my package is good to go, but I wanted to see if anyone has a different opinion or experience. I thought I read other people on here saying they thought there packages were good to go, but for whatever reason it didn't get to the board. I'm worried that might happen to me, but I can only assume that my recruiter and the AOIC know better than me. Any re-assurances or skepticism are welcome. Thanks!

Hello again everybody... I am just wondering what everybodys packages look like (no homo)? This will be my third DCO application so I am really hoping that third times a charm! Here is what my application looks like:

11 years service
Current CTN1 in the reserves
EIDWS pin
MS in Information Security Management
BS in Information Security
CISM (Certified Information Security Manager)
Net+ / Sec+
Certified Ethical Hacker
Current Division LPO
EP eval
All 10's on my interviews
100% OIC Confidence
Current civilian job position as an Information Security Manager

I think the only thing that might hurt me is that I dont have a deployment under my belt. The only reason being for that is that there is no need/billets for CTN reservist to deploy. I am even on the volunteer list for a deployment.

hopeful_one

Here are my stats....
B.S Information Science
M.S Information Systems
CISSP (Certified Information Systems Security Professional)
CISA (Certified Information Systems Auditor)
GCIH (GIAC Certified Incident Handler)
GSNA (GIAC Certified Systems and Network Auditor)
CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Associate)
TS/SCI Clearance
10 Years industry experience in telecom and consumer electronics
4 years experience as federal employee at DoD
3 year CNO Development Program at Fort Meade
Current Branch Chief of my org at Fort Meade
All 10's on Officer interviews (which were provided by community Officers I work with)
Endorsement from region AOIC
LOR from O-7
LOR from GS-15 Technical Director in CYBERCOM
Non-prior service

So as much as I believe my package to be competitive, I'll restate my concerns. I didn't do a panel for my interviews - I provided my own Officer interviews (which my recruiter said was fine). I also did not get an endorsement from the OIC, but instead the AOIC. According to both recruiter and AOIC my package was good to go and forwarded to Navy Recruiting Command and waiting for the board to convene in March. Anyone have any thoughts on my chances of being shot down this round because of interviews and endorsement? Btw - I'm applying for IW, IP & Intel (in that order).

Last edited:

IntelNinja

I get to make up my own? Hmm...
I'll share my perspective on what I feel helped in me getting picked up this last round.

When I first did my panel interviews, it was with the CO & XO of the unit to which I'm assigned. I got high marks on that review, but in the mean time, while dealing with all the administrivia of submitting a packet, the CO served on an IDC selection board.

Since my packet wasn't submitted for a few rounds, I had to "renew" my panel interview and met with the CO again. We spent about two minutes catching up, asking what all was new with me, etc., and then he hit me with it. He said serving on the panel completely opened his eyes to WHO is getting selected, and why. So, here it is.

He said, there are applicants that are "ABSOLUTELY YES", those that are "ABSOLUTELY NO", and then those in-between. (The following exaggeration for effect was his). The "YES" applicants are the congressional endorsement, dad's an ambassador, Medal of Honor-type candidates. When they apply to the board, it's an almost guaranteed selection. The "NO" applicants are the ones that are minimally qualified that recruiters are required by law to submit because they meet the minimum requirements, but when stacked against most others, it becomes apparent they still have work to do to be competitive. All the rest are the ones they have to review and begin racking and stacking. He said, "I don't say this to be mean, but you aren't one of those "ABSOLUTELY YES" applicants, so my job and your job is to get you as close to the top of the list as possible."

We talked about "applying for the job" and making sure that the LoRs and resume highlight not just qualities or contributions, but measured impact.

Consider the following, generalized but still relevant, statements:
"{NAME} is an innovator and proven leader that will excel at being a Naval Officer." (Good...but very generic)
"{NAME}'s innovative approach to solving some of our departments most challenging issues helped to increase efficiency among the subordinates that s/he supervises." (Better...still generic)
"{NAME} pro-actively analyzed three of our department's most challenging issues, developed and tested new methods of operation, then trained the subordinates that s/he supervises, which resulted in a 40% increase in productivity, leading to a time savings of 10 man-hours per week, across the department. (Best)

They're looking for people that will make a positive impact...in whatever way they can contribute. While you may not be able to change your LoRs, you CAN change your resume and it can state measured impact vice generic qualities.

So, I re-wrote my resume, asked one of LoR providers if they wouldn't mind rewriting the letter a little to highlight measured impact. And, submitted to board and got picked up.

Coincidental? Maybe. But, I did what he said would make the greatest impact to my submission packet to get me towards the top, and I got selected. So, there's my one-point data trend.

*Edited to fix a typo.

Last edited:

exNavyOffRec

I'll share my perspective on what I feel helped in me getting picked up this last round.

When I first did my panel interviews, it was with the CO & XO of the unit to which I'm assigned. I got high marks on that review, but in the mean time, while dealing with all the administrivia of submitting a packet, the CO served on an IDC selection board.

Since my packet wasn't submitted for a few rounds, I had to "renew" my panel interview and met with the CO again. We spent about two minutes catching up, asking what all was new with me, etc., and then he hit me with it. He said serving on the panel completely opened his eyes to WHO is getting selected, and why. So, here it is.

He said, there are applicants that are "ABSOLUTELY YES", those that are "ABSOLUTELY NO", and then those in-between. (The following exaggeration for effect was his). The "YES" applicants are the congressional endorsement, dad's an ambassador, Medal of Honor-type candidates. When they apply to the board, it's an almost guaranteed selection. The "NO" applicants are the ones that are minimally qualified that recruiters are required by law to submit because they meet the minimum requirements, but when stacked against most others, it becomes apparent they still have work to do to be competitive. All the rest are the ones they have to review and begin racking and stacking. He said, "I don't say this to be mean, but you aren't one of those "ABSOLUTELY YES" applicants, so my job and your job is to get you as close to the top of the list as possible."

We talked about "applying for the job" and making sure that the LoRs and resume highlight not just qualities or contributions, but measured impact.

Consider the following, generalized but still relevant, statements:
"{NAME} is an innovator and proven leader that will excel at being a Naval Officer." (Good...but very generic)
"{NAME}'s innovative approach to solving some of our departments most challenging issues helped to increase efficiency among the subordinates that s/he supervises." (Better...still generic)
"{NAME} pro-actively analyzed three of our department's most challenging issues, developed and tested new methods of operation, then trained the subordinates that s/he supervises, which resulted in a 40% increase in productivity, leading to a time savings of 10 man-hours per week, across the department. (Best)

They're looking for people that will make a positive impact...in whatever way they can contribute. While you may not be able to change your LoRs, you CAN change your resume and it can state measured impact vice generic qualities.

So, I re-wrote my resume, asked one of LoR providers if they wouldn't mind rewriting the letter a little to highlight measured impact. And, submitted to board and got picked up.

Coincidental? Maybe. But, I did what he said would make the greatest impact to my submission packet to get me towards the top, and I got selected. So, there's my one-point data trend.

*Edited to fix a typo.

You have provided applicants a wealth of knowledge here.

I had the opportunity to read many reserve applications and talk to a Supply officer that chaired the reserve Supply boards, one thing he mentioned that I did see is to make sure the marks on the front match the narrative on the back, read some with marginal marks but a write up for a top marks, and vice versa.

I have seen some in the category of "yes" candidates get "no's" because they were lacking technical background

hopeful_one

So from everything I've read, those who have been selected should find out in two weeks - is that correct? I've seen posts that some have access to the select list right away? Does anyone know where that list is posted or how to obtain access to it? I know recruiters should be able to tell you, but they are not always easy to get a hold of. Two more weeks....good luck to everyone that has a package in!