• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Thats why in the package I believe it says other items like LOR of qualifications. I don't think the board really cares about them but heck it cant hurt having a few. Better one then none ;)

StillAlive

I have a new question. So one does get selected this FY09, goes to NSI in February, when do they start the screening process for colleges and actually start school? I have been contacting the schools of interest and they are asking me when I would prospectively become a student. I have been unable to answer their questions.

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
NSI takes ~2 months. So if you didn't want to take any leave and went straight to your NROTC unit, you could be ready around the middle of April or beginning of May.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
So how does BOOST tie into the time-frame? I am also unsure of what to tell the schools for a start date because not only am I not picked up yet but I am not sure of where I will go first. What determines if you go to BOOST first or directly to NSI? Low high school/college GPA or ACT/SAT scores? Does anybody care sharing their scores and which road they went (or were told to go)?

FMRAM

So how does BOOST tie into the time-frame? I am also unsure of what to tell the schools for a start date because not only am I not picked up yet but I am not sure of where I will go first. What determines if you go to BOOST first or directly to NSI? Low high school/college GPA or ACT/SAT scores? Does anybody care sharing their scores and which road they went (or were told to go)?

If you start BOOST in Feb, then you will be at your unit and ready to go to school by fall. As far as who goes to BOOST, it is hard to really gauge. Basically what happens is they have a certian number of seats to fill and they fill them with who they think needs it most. After the initial seats are filled, they just start picking people at random untill all the seats are filled. Everyone in my BOOST class was curious about this because we had guys that had no college under thier belt, and other guys who were seniors. We even had one guy that did a tour as an instructor at nuke power school!

k_smittay

Us derelicts are here at BOOST now and trying to figure out why we were selected. It seems like the general similarity going on right now is age and math scores. Everyone in the BOOST class seems to be between 24-30ish. Also, most of us have crappy math scores. So I think the longer you have been out of high-school, the higher your chances of BOOST selection.

FMRAM

When they give you a straight answer about this conundrum, be sure to let us know.

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
When they give you a straight answer about this conundrum, be sure to let us know.

I really don't think there is a straight answer. I'm @ BOOST right now with Smittay and we are just speculating. I do agree with him that I think the majority of us are here due either to the length of time since we've been out of school or because we've shown a "deficiency" in a certain area. I know that I personally didn't have any college based math (Algebra, Trig or Calculus) in any of my transcripts, which had to have played a big role in me getting a spot here.

I'm not complaining though, because from what I've observed in my week on the Newport base, we BOOSTers have it the sweetest of any else! In fact the OCS candidates are on the same deck of the barracks as us and we see them getting BEAT the F**K DOWN by the Marine DI's every day! You can almost feel their pain :eek:

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I think I will plan on going to BOOST. I turned 23 this month so if picked up this cycle I will be 24 at BOOST/NSI next year. Not only have I been out of high school for a few years but I don't have any calculus or trig classes either. I do have an algebra though. I will be pushing the age limit of being commissioned prior to my 27th b-day, for the SNA option. Hope the first time is the charm in this case. Should I ask for an age waiver just in case? If so, I include it in my personal statement and my CO mentions it in his recommendation (I think)?

You (OneBadSSS) mentioned that OCS students are getting beat down pretty bad on a regular basis. Is that how NSI will be, any part of it?

OneBadSSS

I think I will plan on going to BOOST. I turned 23 this month so if picked up this cycle I will be 24 at BOOST/NSI next year. Not only have I been out of high school for a few years but I don't have any calculus or trig classes either. I do have an algebra though. I will be pushing the age limit of being commissioned prior to my 27th b-day, for the SNA option. Hope the first time is the charm in this case. Should I ask for an age waiver just in case? If so, I include it in my personal statement and my CO mentions it in his recommendation (I think)?

You (OneBadSSS) mentioned that OCS students are getting beat down pretty bad on a regular basis. Is that how NSI will be, any part of it?

Ok, 1) you don't pick BOOST, it is chosen for you (however a call to Ed Straten the day selection results come out asking for it could get you aspot as it worked for a few guys that are here with me!). 2) The age for SNA w/ prior service is 29 so as long as you've been enlisted for at least 4 years, you get the waiver out to 29. 3) Age waivers are handled by the people in Pensacola so don't bother with mentioning it in your personal statement or have CO mention it in his/her endorsement letter. 4) The guys at NSI are not getting beat down like the OCS guys, it's worlds apart. The NSI guys are on "lock down" right now and have no liberty, but that will pass in a few weeks. Plus there are no Marine DI's for us either, it's all chiefs and senior chiefs and some LT's that run the show there. It's a bit like boot camp (facing movements and marching in formation) but nothing too serious...

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
I'm in NSI right now.. It's pretty easy.... Our first PT session was pretty "FUN" though... At most, you march around and try not to look stupid...

OC formerly known as EM1(SW)NUKE

FMRAM

Not even remotely close to that. Don't sweat it. I think the most hardcore things that we went through (not really that hardcore at all), were one or two impromptu pushup sessions and the 5k runs for PT. O and there was this really sh!tty PRT in Feburary during gale force winds out on the track. :eek:

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
2) The age for SNA w/ prior service is 29 so as long as you've been enlisted for at least 4 years, you get the waiver out to 29. 3) Age waivers are handled by the people in Pensacola so don't bother with mentioning it in your personal statement or have CO mention it in his/her endorsement letter.

Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was going to pick BOOST, more like expect it. I know it's not my call where I go and I will take what they give me, no questions asked.

About the age waiver, the STA-21 website says 29 while the instruction say 31. I won't mention it in either my personal statement or the CO's endorsement letter. Should I get in contact with the people in Pensacola or does the waiver automatically take effect since I have more than 4 years of active duty service?

OneBadSSS

Thanks for the input. I didn't mean to make it sound as if I was going to pick BOOST, more like expect it. I know it's not my call where I go and I will take what they give me, no questions asked.

About the age waiver, the STA-21 website says 29 while the instruction say 31. I won't mention it in either my personal statement or the CO's endorsement letter. Should I get in contact with the people in Pensacola or does the waiver automatically take effect since I have more than 4 years of active duty service?

The waiver will automatically take effect. I have over 6 years in and I will be almost 28 by the time I grad/commission...