• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

FMRAM

Combating TIP training AGAIN?!
Threads like these are often split in order to keep the train of thoughts seperate. Cyristvirus, why not send a requst to a mod?

StillAlive

Good day to all. As I see here in this thread, I am not the only one applying to STA FY09 for the first time. I am thankful for this site; an EM1 who just transferred (somehow) to the Roosevelt got selected NFO and told me about this site. It has been a great deal of help. Thanks admin and the senior rusty folks who we are all envious of, yes, the selectees.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Good day to all. As I see here in this thread, I am not the only one applying to STA FY09 for the first time. I am thankful for this site; an EM1 who just transferred (somehow) to the Roosevelt got selected NFO and told me about this site. It has been a great deal of help. Thanks admin and the senior rusty folks who we are all envious of, yes, the selectees.
Sometimes guys will get transfered someplace else even after being selected. Had two people come in for a few months each time to my old boat because we were in the yard and I think it was just to get them out of an underway. If you receive PCS orders after selection you are supposed to inform OD2/STA-21 guys and they probably make the call what to do.

Glad to see everyone spreading the word and sharing valuable advice. I wish I was this connected the first couple of times I applied. Good luck to all!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Thanks for the input. I was finally able to print off the 1420.1A, chapter 8 and read it through. The wording does get confusing in certain places. Just want to make sure I have the process down correctly. Again, I am applying for the pilot option.

I finished the application cover page, did the online application, finished my personal statement, have last 5 evals and ACT scores. I am still studying for the ASTB (nervous as hell), have my high school transcript, waiting to finish my current college class for SMART transcript, have a few letters of recommendation and my last 3 PFA results.

First question, where do I type "Enclosure #" at on each form? The instruction does not specify. I am assuming at the bottom of each page, centered. Is this the same for transcripts and LOR's?

Second, what happens next? After I take the ASTB and get my college and SMART transcripts, I will put them in my package and ensure it is put together correctly. Then I am not sure what to do after that. The instruction says the CO will appoint a board to review the package and interview me. I was under the impression I needed to set this up. Again my department hasn't had anyone submit a STA-21 package so they are also unsure of the process. I am going to try ELT(SS)'s advice and hit up my CCC this coming week. Hopefully she will have some advice too. Any other suggestions about compiling the package would be very useful. Thanks!!

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
Again I may not be a expert in the area of a STA-21 but I did put my package together in two days last year and got picked up. The best way to get things done is first talk to your CCC and chain of command. Your MO or what ever is in his/her place should appoint an officer to help you with your package so that they can appoint a board for you. Its very unprofessional to go around asking officers if they will be on your board before your chain of command understands what you are doing, or have been informed on what the program is all about.

Best thing to do is print out the instructions for this officer and also point out some important parts of it that the officers need to fill out in order to have your interviews considered. Help them as much as possible.

About the enclosures, I never put anything on any of the enclosures that showed that they were enclosures. Since you submit information further on during the application process prior to the board, your enclosure may change. Also I have been told that when the STA-21 department receives your package they take it apart and split it apart to those who are in charge of that area. I would suspect thats why they don't want your package bound. I did contact the STA-21 department about the enclosures because I had those same questions and they explained it wasn't very important. Again someone may have a different opinion.

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Again, thanks for the input. Glad I'm not the only one who does or has had these questions. I will go by the CCC's office this week and I hope you are right about how they should help.

So I will not put any numbering or enclosure numbers on my documents. Was I right about after I have the the package put together (minus the review boards and CO endorsement) and it gets routed up I prob won't see it again. The last few requirements are completed by the interviewers on my boards and they add it into the package. The final step will be the CO reviewing everything, adding in his recommendation and mailing it off.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Again, thanks for the input. Glad I'm not the only one who does or has had these questions. I will go by the CCC's office this week and I hope you are right about how they should help.

So I will not put any numbering or enclosure numbers on my documents. Was I right about after I have the the package put together (minus the review boards and CO endorsement) and it gets routed up I prob won't see it again. The last few requirements are completed by the interviewers on my boards and they add it into the package. The final step will be the CO reviewing everything, adding in his recommendation and mailing it off.

Totally depends not only on your CO but how your command does Admin business as well. When my CO was an O-5 he and his XO were pretty involved and I did not see my package until after it was mailed and got a copy. Which is the way it is supposed to be done but didn't allow me the chance to check for errors. But no big deal because you have ample time to submit corrections to the STA-21 folks before the board convenes. This past year my CO being an O-6 never even looked at a single page in the package. Just signed on all the sheets I had already prepared. The XO then sat down with me and was the one asking me to ensure it was all correct. Even so I still had to submit some corrections. So basically don't sweat it too much.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I agree with et1nuke. You have plenty of time to submit corrections and the STA-21 office has some great people working for them. You should feel welcome to call them with questions you may have about your package. Also if your CCC is anything like mine is, then you should tell him/her about your package and don't wait for them to decided to work. Mine yelled at me because they were on leave and I didn't get them involved by waiting for them to get off. I made sure not to involve the CCC this year too ;)

Good luck on this year!

Lightning26

Here is the link to the Navy Correspondence Manual. It will help you with enclosures and other good writing stuff. If you have any problems with it talk to the guys in your admin department. They should be pros at it.

http://www.navyfitrep.com/download5216_5d.html

I would recommend doing it. It can't hurt your package and trying to make it perfect could only help your chances for selection in my opinion.

Good luck to everyone applying this year!

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
This thread may be useless, but I find it to be true. If you are anywhere near a Nuclear Training Command (Prototypes, power school, a school) I would ask their CCC for help. Most of these CCCs are well versed in STA because they have to be. The only people allowed to apply for the Nuke option are people at these training commands. They regularly complete 50 packages a year. At lease in NY they also schedule all of your interviews and give you weekly reminders on what you still need for your package. If it is at all possible to get in touch with a Nuke CCC do it.

BOCOD

If you are near NNPTC do NOT use their CCC. He is an idiot and doesnt know anything. They have an officer programs coordinator and he is a retard as well. He tried telling me that I didn't have to do everything the STA-21 instruction said because "we are a remote command so we don't have to do that." I asked where that was written down and he said it wasn't. I asked him to set me up with an interview with the pilots at the command, and he didn't even know we had pilots at the command. He wanted me to fill out the pages for the officer interviews. I basically told him he was not going to touch my package and that I would do it so it would be done corectly (I did get selected this year). So my advice is to remember that it is your package, not theirs. Stay involved and bug the CCC or whoever set up your interviews and other things.

Doc White

FY09 Pilot Selectee
STA-21 fy-09

I am applying this year for the STA-21 Pilot Option and wanted to know what majors are better for selection. Are there certain majors that look better and will help me get picked up?

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
I am applying this year for the STA-21 Pilot Option and wanted to know what majors are better for selection. Are there certain majors that look better and will help me get picked up?

I am applying for the same option. Everywhere I have read and everything I have heard suggests a technical major. Not saying you would not get selected with a degree in art education but your chances would probably increase with a technical major. There is a list of the approved technical majors in the OPNAVINST 1420.1A, Chapter 8, Section 1. I am thinking about Aerospace Engineering but we only have 3 years to complete it in. I suggest talking to the college you choose and ensuring your desired major is possible within the 3 year time limit. Start taking classes now to make your workload lighter once you arrive at your school. Good luck!!

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
I don't think it matters what major you pick unless you are trying to go nuke. You should pick something that you are interested in thereby increasing your chances of success. Pick something difficult and you'll probably hate yourself later.