• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY09 STA-21 Soup to selection and beyond MEGA thread

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I just wanted to get an topic started for those applying for the FY09. I know it may be a little early but it's starting to get close to that time again.

Post away if you guys need help with anything or have questions about the next year’s selection boards. Also we should try to organize some kind of event for the selectees as did the FY08 guys.

Post ideas or questions and good luck!

ac2NASTY

AC -> OC -> O3E
pilot
Glad you started this post cyristvirus. This will be my first time applying so I'm a little unsure about a few things. Just want to say that this website has helped me SOOO much more than anybody or anything else has. I am the first in my department to compile and submit (once finished, still working on it) a STA-21 package. Nobody is familiar with the steps needed to complete certain requirements because of that. So THANKS to everybody who has posted advice, study guides, or anything else helpful.

First, I noticed on the online application you can apply for a primary and a secondary program option. After I choose pilot for my primary option the only item available under secondary is CORE. Is there a way to choose pilot as primary and NFO as secondary?

Second, how should the actual package be put together? i.e. in a folder, each page in a plastic cover, where does the "enclosure #" go? More specifically what is the correct format? I have all the samples off the STA-21 website but want to make sure I am doing it right. I am sure this info is in the OPNAVINT 1420.1A but it will not download on my computer for some reason. I am getting a new one if a few months but with the due date approaching I really don't want to wait that long.

haubby

None
Contributor
Read the instruction in its entirety. If your having trouble downloading it, PM me and I will forward you a copy of it. If applying for a designator other than CORE as your primary option, it states that CORE should be selected as the secondary. The package should be compiled and secured with a binder clip placed at the top left hand corner. The instruction states exactly how the enclosures should be arranged. Ask someone in your admin office to help you out and ensure that everything is in the proper format before submitting up the CoC. There are a good number of us who were selected from the FY08 board and can answer most any question. Best of luck to you all.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I agree, read every bit of information in the instruction. You can't go wrong with that. In some cases the instruction can be a little bit hard to understand.

For enclosures if you submit additional information after you submit your package, you do not have to order them on the title page. Also enclosure 13 and so on does not have to be numbered on your title page because for one you are not positive how they will be ordered (based on the fact that you will not get your package back after the boards) I just order the package 1-12.

Once you submit your package you want to keep updated on any information that may be wrong with your package. You want to call and follow up to make sure they have received it, and also make sure they update on the site what you have done or what is missing. Make sure to check this information often and also make sure to send in all the updates. The people at the STA-21 office are very nice and will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

I highly recommend that you head over to medical and set up a flight physical as soon as you can. Tell them you are doing student aviator for the Seaman to Admiral Program and get that out of the way. Get a copy of it once its done and have it ready on hand to send to the STA-21 office. If you get selected for either primary or alternate, then you will need to have this information complete and it takes some time.

If you need any additional help you are welcome to also PM me with your number and ill give you some help. I have a guide that may be of some help.

Good luck!

SkywardET

Contrarian
This is my first time applying and I started preparing for it in September. Of course, I started my current deployment in November, so there's good reason for it, but it still seems like there isn't enough time for it. It's not like the package can consume you whole; you still have to perform your job well enough to stand out like a rock star (pilot).

This forum is very helpful, but very picky. They don't like a lot of questions, but that's probably from a history of people asking the same question over and over and not looking for previous answers. Regardless, I am very glad this site is available!

OneBadSSS

FY08 STA-21 Pilot Selectee/Currently at ODU
This forum is very helpful, but very picky. They don't like a lot of questions, but that's probably from a history of people asking the same question over and over and not looking for previous answers. Regardless, I am very glad this site is available!

If you have specific questions that you can't find the answers to and you don't want to post them for fear of getting flamed by the more seasoned forum members, just shoot me a PM and I'll answer them as best I can or try to steer you in the direction of someone who can. I think it's safe to say that any one of the FY08 selectees would be more than willing to do the same, so don't be shy! This forum is here as a resource to increase your chances of success in getting selected!

Lucky3

P-8 Driver
pilot
To be quite honest, this site is only slightly helpful while putting the package together. It provides good examples of who to get LOR's from and what things to get done to make you more desirable. However, the best candidates already should know what they need to do, it basically is the same things that help you stand out from your peers on a day to day basis.

This site does become very helpful while waiting on selections and especially after you get selected. You feel so rushed after getting selected and everyone provides good insight on how to get things done and to clarify misunderstandings.

ELT(SS)

Just like he said, this site was more beneficial as a place for all of us to freak out about waiting and gossip a little bit before results came out. I would recommend if you are anywhere near a training command, trying to see their CCC. Most training commands put in a lot of applications each year so they know more than most about what is going on.

et1nuke

pilot
Contributor
Just like he said, this site was more beneficial as a place for all of us to freak out about waiting and gossip a little bit before results came out. I would recommend if you are anywhere near a training command, trying to see their CCC. Most training commands put in a lot of applications each year so they know more than most about what is going on.

I wouldn't rely on it...mine wasn't any help. But I'm sure that's not a measure of them all. In fact one of my good friends is the Fleet CCC and he knows his stuff.

cyristvirus

STA-21 FY08 College Dude
I would agree that some CCC know their stuff, but again some do not. Remember that its YOUR package not theirs and you want to be an officer. Do not let the enlisted side of your command control your package and tell you what you have to do in order to complete your package. Inform your chain of command of what you are trying to do and ask for their support. Then make some officer friends and tell them the same thing. The officers will most likely jump all over it, while the enlisted may just give you the "thats great" look.

BOCOD

If you are a nuke and want to apply for anything other than nuke then you might be out of luck. Once results came out the enlisted nuke detailers didnt want to releae me because they said sub nuke ETC is the most undermanned rating in the Navy. They said the only reason they were letting me go was because I didnt obliserv and was getting out in a year. The detailers also said they were rewritting the enlisted to officer programs instruction to say nukes need not apply for anything except nuke. We will see what happens.

EM1toNFO

Killing insurgents with my 'messages'!!
None
it sounds about right, I met with the Enlisted community manager and the CDR over him when we had our annual Nuclear Recruiting Conference in Charleston back in November. He wasn't very vice to say the least. They were both like, why should we release you the STA-21 program huh? I said, well then I'm getting out. And he asked why, I told him it's due to being treating like a convict and the Navy is such a great place for all of these opportunities, but I can't take advcantage of any of them, so why should I stay in? He simply reverted back to the money aspect. I told him that it's closed minded thinking like that that got you in the plac eyour at now, with everyone feeling burned out, frustrated, and getting out. He said that he is going to start raising a ruckas, aout all of "his nukes" leaving the community. I told him that if need be, I'd call or write whoever I needed to. Sorry to rant, jsut wanted to let ya know the interaction the he "big guy"
EM1

BOCOD

It is very true becaue the EM1 who sat at the desk next to me got picked up for RHO and the detailer said they were not going to release him. This happened a few days after the STA-21 results came out so that is how I found out they didn't want to release me. We fought it by calling everyone we could. The command didn't want to do anything so I helped him file an article of redress. We called senators and congressmen as well. After that we called some admirals and that finally got the enlisted guys to give in. Then they told me I had to submit a 1306 for STA-21 even after results came out. Needless to say I didn't and I still got my orders. I am so glad I am done with the nuke world.

haubby

None
Contributor
Perhaps the name of this thread should be changed to something more befitting the discussion.