• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY 2012 IDC Boards

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Those leaving active duty doesn't have much to do with it, there are different quotas for those with no military experience and those with military experience.

Thank you for the clarification. I have enough trouble keeping my own hurdles straight. ;)

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
Are the quotas still looking close to what was forecasted earlier? 18, 5, 5?

18!? Looks like I'm applying for the wrong community. :) Unfortunately, my 15+years of IT/Security probably wouldn't make me anymore competitive that the average college grad for Intel. But I could be wrong.

exNavyOffRec

18!? Looks like I'm applying for the wrong community. :) Unfortunately, my 15+years of IT/Security probably wouldn't make me anymore competitive that the average college grad for Intel. But I could be wrong.

The experience is a big plus for DCO, they want experience, they don't want the college grad with no experience.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
The experience is a big plus for DCO, they want experience, they don't want the college grad with no experience.

Then what the heck is going on with my packages? I've been applying (and improving) since 2009. I've applied to 5 boards, only gotten three looks (two packages didn't arrive at the board on time), and still non-pro rec. My package stats can be found above, if you're interested.

Am I getting scuttled by my OPO?

exNavyOffRec

Are the quotas still looking close to what was forecasted earlier? 18, 5, 5?
I looked at the numbers I had again, I can't get the most up to date but the somewhat recent one is Intel 18 maybe up to 35, IP is 5 and IW is 2, this is just for FY12.

exNavyOffRec

Then what the heck is going on with my packages? I've been applying (and improving) since 2009. I've applied to 5 boards, only gotten three looks (two packages didn't arrive at the board on time), and still non-pro rec. My package stats can be found above, if you're interested.

Am I getting scuttled by my OPO?

To be honest I am betting it is your age, in general it is the hard to fill communities that they go past the max age, I am wondering if you applications aren't being pro X'd by NRC. The communities that they tend to waive the age on are Chaplain and specialty Doc's

Devil Duck

Then what the heck is going on with my packages?
I have to agree with NavyOffRec, issue is most probably age related. The Board has many packages to select from that require no waivers. A strong package like yours requiring only an age waiver is easily set aside. Regrettably don't think you have too much recourse. At some point the NRD will refuse to resubmit.

Recommend looking at the National Guard. The NG may pass as well, but it's worth a try. NG is generally looking for more folks, therefore willing to accept more waivers. In today's climate (austerity/down-sizing) nothing is a given. Not a good time to apply for a commission in any branch.

exNavyOffRec

I have to agree with NavyOffRec, issue is most probably age related. The Board has many packages to select from that require no waivers. A strong package like yours requiring only an age waiver is easily set aside. Regrettably don't think you have too much recourse. At some point the NRD will refuse to resubmit.

Recommend looking at the National Guard. The NG may pass as well, but it's worth a try. NG is generally looking for more folks, therefore willing to accept more waivers. In today's climate (austerity/down-sizing) nothing is a given. Not a good time to apply for a commission in any branch.

By the book the NRD doesn't have to submit because the age is over the PA max, I would say they have been trying to help him out.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
By the book the NRD doesn't have to submit because the age is over the PA max, I would say they have been trying to help him out.

Even with an age waiver in the package from the community manager for a candidate with a high demand/low volume skill set? I thought OPNAV 1120.13 5d (1-12) gave guidance for boards to strongly consider candidates that overcame significant challenges to meet the needs and requirements of the Navy, and that those candidates should be preferred over others.

Missing two of five boards when time (age) is my particular challenge by (their) failing to submit in a timely manner doesn't exactly sound like much of a 'helping hand'. And when I started this sleigh ride, I didn't need the age waiver (my prior service put me within acceptible spec).

Many apologies for the griping. I know that not all my facts are present here, and that replies are general observations. I'm a smart fellow, but I guess I'm just having trouble following the logic. Especially when the Navy process isn't (meant to be) very transparent.

From my first motivation statement:
Granting me a commission will permit me to resume living a life others would refuse. A life of honored service, and honorable duty; using my advanced technical education and the professional industry skills I’ve built to defend both my country and my fellow countryman. And to show those who follow that duty isn’t something to lay aside, even when youth gives way to wisdom.

exNavyOffRec

Even with an age waiver in the package from the community manager for a candidate with a high demand/low volume skill set? I thought OPNAV 1120.13 5d (1-12) gave guidance for boards to strongly consider candidates that overcame significant challenges to meet the needs and requirements of the Navy, and that those candidates should be preferred over others.

Missing two of five boards when time (age) is my particular challenge by (their) failing to submit in a timely manner doesn't exactly sound like much of a 'helping hand'. And when I started this sleigh ride, I didn't need the age waiver (my prior service put me within acceptible spec).

Many apologies for the griping. I know that not all my facts are present here, and that replies are general observations. I'm a smart fellow, but I guess I'm just having trouble following the logic. Especially when the Navy process isn't (meant to be) very transparent.

I don't see where in that instruction the words "strongly considered", even so that instruction is just a general brief, and some of it doesn't even jive with what they are looking for. A board can decide that certain items will result in a kit being set aside, this could be alcohol incident, low GPA, or other item.

One thing I or you would know are the results of the panel board interview you had to do, if they gave you less than 100% confidence that could sink you as well.

I guess you could consider Intel high demand, if you just look at the reserve numbers, but it also gets many applicants.

Why did you miss the boards? I know sometimes a person can miss the boards if the NRC processor rejects it for an error.

Navmac

The at board list came out, 240 people for a handful of spots.

Thanks for the update. 240 make board—18, 5, and 5 is not that bad. I understand it is lower than the “norm”, but that’s actually higher than some of the enlisted advancement percentages. Even if there is only one spot, there is still a chance...

exNavyOffRec

Thanks for the update. 240 make board—18, 5, and 5 is not that bad. I understand it is lower than the “norm”, but that’s actually higher than some of the enlisted advancement percentages. Even if there is only one spot, there is still a chance...

It is actually 18, 5, and 2 and that is for FY12, now if I was a betting man I would say they will select more than that to ensure they meet their numbers with the extra being pushed to FY13.

jms4netsec

INFOSEC/IA SME
I don't see where in that instruction the words "strongly considered", even so that instruction is just a general brief, and some of it doesn't even jive with what they are looking for. A board can decide that certain items will result in a kit being set aside, this could be alcohol incident, low GPA, or other item.

Upon more recent review (it's been a few years), you are quite correct. Perhaps I should have limited my observations to item 12 alone under 1120.13 5d (Adversity).
OPNAV 1120.13 5D (12) said:
Board members shall carefully consider applicants who have overcome significant personal or environmental adversity to become a qualified prospect for service as a naval officer. Boards may apply an "adversity plus-up" to scoring rubric used by that professional recommendation board.​
One thing I or you would know are the results of the panel board interview you had to do, if they gave you less than 100% confidence that could sink you as well.
While I've always understood that the Intel process included a panel interview, in the 5 years I've been applying to the IDC community I've never had to, or been asked to, sit an interview panel. So that would not seem to apply in my previous case.

Why did you miss the boards? I know sometimes a person can miss the boards if the NRC processor rejects it for an error.

Acknowledged. As my recruiter has indicated many times in the past, they prefer to submit earlier rather than later so that errors can be identified and corrected in a timely manner. The two times my packages were ostensibly 'late' (first/last), I was advised that my package was not communicated to Millington 'in time'. Both times, my packages were each submitted for the first time, after the submission deadline (confirmed by NRC).

All; This really wasn't meant to be a public debate. In general, I have the highest regard for NRC and its mission. I also realize that in this political and economic climate, it's a "buyer's market" for recruiting. Slots are down due to budgets and force draw downs; PFA standards have been tightened up significantly in the last 18 months (especially having crossed over from the 40-49 table to the '50+' grouping), and the depressed civilian job market means applicant pickings are plum.

However, it does seem peculiar that a candidate that the IDC community manager saw fit to grant an age waiver to (before the board) wouldn't also be viewed as a equally or more desired asset, presuming all other things were equal. Especially one who already waived retirement.