• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

FY-17 AMCSB

Farva01

BKR
pilot
Congrats to the selectees. Came out sooner than I thought based on the churn this week. And discuss...

Attachments

• FY17 AMCSB Select List.pdf
    16.8 KB · Views: 341

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
No dog in the fight, I only wonder what the list coming out of the selection board looked like before it got changed.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately recent selectees will have the back corner comments that they must have been picked for their billet as a bro job vice their own merit every time they make a mistake or an unpopular decision.

The selectees who don't get what they want at the screen board will always be able to chaulk the selection of the other guy as the result of a political agenda or popularity contest.

jollygreen07

Professional (?) Flight Instructor
pilot
Contributor
Didn't see any STRATCOMWING selectees. Older TACAMO bubbas: Is that common? I seem to remember there being at least one a year, at least while I've been watching board results...

robav8r

None
Contributor
Unfortunately recent selectees will have the back corner comments that they must have been picked for their billet as a bro job vice their own merit every time they make a mistake or an unpopular decision.

The selectees who don't get what they want at the screen board will always be able to chaulk the selection of the other guy as the result of a political agenda or popularity contest.
You may, or may not know any of the VP selects, but your comment, at least as it applies to them specifically, is bullshit.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
You may, or may not know any of the VP selects, but your comment, at least as it applies to them specifically, is bullshit.

That's fine because it doesn't apply anyone specifically. I don't have a dog in the fight like i said in the beginning but there is definitely the perception out there that it's a tainted process, and a lot of people seem to be pretty unhappy about it.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
The horror.

Several of us have served under OP-T skippers that lamented that they weren't selected as Operational Skippers, and openly wondered why, and what in their career they messed up to get OP-T vice Operational... There's also been cases of Ship vs Wing Command. The recent memo, especially since it was released after the previously disclosed command swap will only add fuel to the fire in those types of situations.

Unfortunately, PERS and leadership puts out the information and builds the collective knowledge that the board picks the best, most qualified individuals without bias. Now that the Boss says he can put people where he wants as he sees fit (which exists many other places in the Navy and in the outside world), the stigma exists that there is unfair, agenda driven bias and that undercuts the achievements of those selected by the haters.

Last edited:

squorch2

he will die without safety brief
pilot
Unfortunately, PERS and leadership puts out the information and builds the collective knowledge that the board picks the best, most qualified individuals without bias
This is the symptom of a larger problem - namely, that the process doesn't actually work as advertised.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
As some one who didn't see the like, please describe.
Just trying to inject some levity here. I originally liked Zippy's post because I thought it was tongue in cheek, but apparently it wasn't, so I pulled my like back. I'm sure Zippy will be crushed. I respect Zippy and he makes a lot of great contributions here, and he's certainly entitled to his opinions on this divisive issue.

Whatever one thinks of the recent AB policy change, I don't think people who selected OP-T command are in any position to be complaining, so the idea that this is happening turns my stomach a bit. I have personally not seen this happen. Also, the idea of any Commander lamenting their position in front of their subordinates seems wildly inappropriate to me.