• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fy 11 sta 21 applicants

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
Hi, I'm a 1st time applicant to the STA-21 program, and I wanted to know if anybody previously selected could critique my personal statement rough draft, and give me some advice?

When writing your personal statement, the most important thing is to know the directions for writing it. make sure you are the command expert on the STA-21 program. when writing it keep in mind NO INTRO.......its ok to put "I am SN whoever and this is why you should select me" No need for any intro that states who you are, what you do in the Navy or previous commands. I can read your evals and figure that out. just tell them why you are the best candidate, remember this is your one shot to tell the board why the Navy should pay your way through college and commission you as an Officer, you will revise that personal statement like 20 times, i have like 13 REV's for mine.

MR1(SW)-->ENS

FY-10 STA-21 Core Selectee
Has anyone seen the message come out for FY11 apllications? I look and the one last year came out around this time. i am waiting to submit my package until it came out but i dont want to wait to much longer. Any help would be appreciated...

stats
AT1(AW) 26 years old 7 years service
Master Training Specilist
SAT 1230 (650 Reading / 580 Math)
Evals: Ranked Mp(1st e6 eval), EP, EP, EP, MP
Prims: Excellent High, Excellent high, Outstanding Low
College; AA in General Studies, 12 credits into my BS GPA 3.95
1st time applying for CEC and HR

Should be out mid-April (April 20th is what I heard ha ha ha ha ha, sorry previous joke from those of us waiting results for FY-10) did you get your boards done already? are you submitting your package right after the message comes out?

dsb619

Should be out mid-April (April 20th is what I heard ha ha ha ha ha, sorry previous joke from those of us waiting results for FY-10) did you get your boards done already? are you submitting your package right after the message comes out?

I ment submitting to my command...I didnt do my boards yet because from what i am interepting from the instruction( correct me if i am wrong) your WHOLE package needs to be together to review for your internal interview, then the package is sent with your internal interview and COs reco to the external board. is that how it went for everyone else? i know alot of people here who submitted OCS packages went and got several interviews before there package, but i thought it worked different for STA-21. My CC is fairly usless i am doing everything straight from the 1420.1b. Thanks for all your help...

OC/EMC

I ment submitting to my command...I didnt do my boards yet because from what i am interepting from the instruction( correct me if i am wrong) your WHOLE package needs to be together to review for your internal interview, then the package is sent with your internal interview and COs reco to the external board. is that how it went for everyone else? i know alot of people here who submitted OCS packages went and got several interviews before there package, but i thought it worked different for STA-21. My CC is fairly usless i am doing everything straight from the 1420.1b. Thanks for all your help...

Do it all yourself if needed. Set up your boards if your CCC or XO won't help you (ask them first though and show them the instruction so they can get the right people to sit it). I know the instruction says to have everything done before you submit your package to your command and that they will set up your boards, but that was not the case for me. I strongly recommend you hold your XO's or CCC's hand for this. I personally handed copies of my package to my external board members and then took all of their recommendations and reviewed them for correctness before including them in my package. I had to get the senior board member to redo his twice! I even told them what forms to use and how they should sign their names/ranks etc.. Don't let the instruction get in the way of completing your package.

Good luck.

larsonam

I definitely agree with OC/EMC. I got everything in my package completed and, at that point, went around to some of the officers in my command and asked them to look over it. If you have a prior enlisted officer, I would ask them to look through it as well. My ESO was really supportive and helpful (it helped that he was also my DIVO) and he was actually the one that set up my internal board. My NCC was not exactly the most help as far as my boards went, but I did have a very helpful MMCO that set up my external board.

One thing I would say is keep on top of your package. The more you look at it, the better off you will be. Make sure your WHOLE chain of command knows that you are applying. I routed a special request chit up from my LPO all the way up to my CO just so everyone in my COC was aware of my plans. It definitely helped in the long run because, when it came down to crunch time, they all knew what was going on and they were all intent on making sure whatever they needed to do, whether it was sit in on a board or keeping on top of ADMIN with things requiring command letterhead.

oxnard_duffy

Hello im currently trying to put in for the sta 21 package and i have everything put together but i still need to write my personal statement and i have no clue how to or even where to start. If you could please help me i would appreciate it so so very much. Also if you have any other advice, i would be so happy for it. Thank you..

Samantha

jus2mch

MOTIVATOR
Contributor
Hello im currently trying to put in for the sta 21 package and i have everything put together but i still need to write my personal statement and i have no clue how to or even where to start. If you could please help me i would appreciate it so so very much. Also if you have any other advice, i would be so happy for it. Thank you..

Samantha

Hope this helps:
Motivational Statement Mega Thread
http://www.airwarriors.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142053&highlight=motivational+statement
(3) A personally composed and signed one-page typed statement presenting reasons for desiring STA-21 participation and the applicant’s professional/vocational intentions in a specific designator of the URL. Comprehension of and motivation for selected designator(s) of the URL are of significance to the selection board. Exceptions apply to the following target group options: STA-21 CEC option, STA-21 SC option, STA-21 special duty officer (Intel), STA-21 NC option, STA-21 MC option, and STA-21 SWO (IP/IW/ED/OCEANO) options and HR option. Applicants should address specific desires for their desired designator communities. Include name, rate/rank, and SSN on the statement. Ensure the statement is signed and dated.

STS2_Traku

So... I just got back from my command NRB. They told me that my package is one of the strongest they have ever seen. However, I need to work on two things... One, my personal statement needs refinement, and two, I need to do a much better job at selling myself in the boards. I seemed to have a hard time expressing myself, qualifications, and goals. Would anyone here be willing to look over my personal statement? How about offer pointers for better preparing for my board?

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
LOR's / First & Second Endorsement

Gents,

In regards to the CO Recommendation Form and the First Endorsement... Does the CO give 2 separate statements? I have the first endorsement write up completed, I have a copy of the recommendation form in the package as an example, but does he write a separate letter in addition to these? My prior CO wrote a LOR for me. It does NOT say 2nd Endorsement on it.

R/
Chris

PRICE311USN

(NAC/AW)
Hey guys, another question for the group. I just did my PRT this week and as I was recovering from a pretty nasty headcold, my run was pretty bad. I scored Outstanding High on push-ups and curl-ups, but my run just barely hit Satisfactory High. This all averages out to Excellent High. Do you think those scores are okay, or are they going to be a pretty serious red mark on my package? Thanks.

Your good to go man. The board ranks you based on your overall score of your most recent PFA prior to the board. You get 4 points for an outstanding, 2 points for a Excellent, 0 points for a Good, and -1 points for a Satisfactory.
FYSA, my buddy got picked up last year with a Satisfactory. It's all in the overall score that you have, and the PRT is a small, small part of the package.

GOOD LUCK

Psychotic2005

Just a reminder to all to check OPNAVINST 1420.1B. It is a new update, and the board has specific requirements about package submittal. Little things, like secureing the package together with a binder clip and not stapling each thing together.
A little note about the prt is in there as well. you must get at least a good High or you will be disqualified. That's all i can remember off the top of my head, but check it out, and HEED!