• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fun Low Level in a Hornet

gotta_fly

pilot
26022854.jpg

It was only a matter of time.

That's what I was thinking, try crossing a ridge at FL350 and 200 kts. :D

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Recovering LSO

Suck Less
pilot
Contributor
Pushover vs inverted positive pull isn't ALWAYS the choice to make. Maybe in a hornet with such high thrust, but in other airframes that rely on the lift vector much more, all it takes is reducing the net lift vector..

/talking out of my ass/

remind me which aircraft DON'T rely on their lift vector.... WTF?

zipmartin

Never been better
pilot
Contributor
Amen, very true... on the flip side, the lower you fly -the more big birds you encounter. The faster you go, the harder they hit!

A similar incident happened at VA-174, the east coast A-7 RAG when I was there in '77. Student flying a low level took a hit from one of those famous Florida turkey buzzards in the windscreen and canopy. The bird shattered the screen and temporarily blinded the stud who had the presence of mind to start a gradual climb. The chase IP (for those who don't know, this was before the TA-7 and many syllabus flights were chased by an IP in another A-7) established communications with the stud and talked him back to NAS Cecil Field where an LSO was waiting. The chase IP flew wing and talked the stud through the descent and dirty-up where the waiting LSO took over, talking the stud down to a short field arrested landing. The stud nearly lost an eye, had surgery to repair it, and was fitted with some type of contact lens, and was granted a waiver to continue flying.

BigRed389

None
It

That's 2x the speed of a boat!

That's VERY fast with a CPA of 25 to 35 yards abeam and a closure rate of 70 knots. Head on with PHM's mind you! That's only time I had a little pucker factor on the bridge of an FFG. It relaxed quickly though. Helo's are so much faster.
:(~

7001014125_cd0fb4a56c_b.jpg

Here's the modern day go fast boat. That was a pretty good day...and those Coasties have a pretty good gig there too with an O-3 CO.

Attachments

• 7001014125_cd0fb4a56c_z.jpg
    7001014125_cd0fb4a56c_z.jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 11

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
That was a lot of fun to watch. Interesting (at least to me) how much time the A/C was inverted or past 90 deg AOB during the route. Great stuff !

Is that pesky radalt going off every time you break squadron/wing/service LAT SOPs? Did the LATI tell you he'd crsush you if you punched out the Master Caution to make the radalt shut up? Just roll inverted. Problem solved.

BTW, a 1g, near 90 degree nose slice suits me just fine a lot of the time. I haven't flown LAT really close to max gross weight yet, but I can imagine that booming around with heavy tanks and stores with weaker than normal roll rates, and less than normal g available can make for some sporty dive recoveries.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Master caution does nothing to the radalt tone in the Hornet sadly, but yes it no workie in a steep aob. A lesson that had to be relearned by breaking a jet at least once since I've been flying them

MasterBates

RADALTS beeping?

No such thing in the Hummer. Just a light that my knee blocks anyways.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2

KBayDog

RADALTS beeping?

No such thing in the Hummer. Just a light that my knee blocks anyways.

Phun Phrog Phact of the Day:

The pinky switch on the cyclic silences the RADALT tone. Quite useful when coming in to land.

Oh - the pinky switch on the -57's cyclic? It secures the AFCS.

Mas lulz until that habit is broken.

MasterBates

Phun Phrog Phact of the Day:

The pinky switch on the cyclic silences the RADALT tone. Quite useful when coming in to land.

Oh - the pinky switch on the -57's cyclic? It secures the AFCS.

Mas lulz until that habit is broken.

I had some interesting times in early FAMS mostly because I was relying on muscle memory from flying Stab Bar 204/5s before the Navy, and all my 206 time was in stab aug birds.

Sent from my PH44100 using Tapatalk 2