• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Forum pages not fully loading?

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Certainly not an "issue" but from time to time, ever so few, the Forum Skin loads but then does not populate data in fields. "Refresh" clears. Have seen similar sits, but not exactly, on other Forums that use Jelsoft. Assumed my "old" system.

Win 98se, I.E. 6.0, FIOS Fiber Optic 15mbs

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Win 98se, I.E. 6.0, FIOS Fiber Optic 15mbs

Master Chief, isn't that equivalent to putting a Ferrari engine in a Yugo? Good grief, I'll give you my version of Win2k.

Out of curiosity, who provides your fiber? Is it asynchronous or do you get it all either direction?

phrogpilot73

Out of curiosity, who provides your fiber? Is it asynchronous or do you get it all either direction?
FiOS = Verizon. It's not asynchronous, but it does have slower upload speeds (surprise, surprise). The three packages you can sign up for are: 5mbps/2mbps, 15mbps/2mbps, and 30mbps/5mbps. I signed up for the 5mbps/2mbps option and a quick check of DSLReports shows that I get 4.94mbps/1.82mbps to this coast, and 4.78mbps/1.26mbps to the west coast. Pretty much as advertised which isn't necessarily true of other ISPs...

I highly recommend FiOS if it's in your area, we've got the bundle and couldn't be happier. Not to mention that the fully automated tech support (while initially I thought was going to suck) can check their side, send commands to your router, reboot stuff between here and there, etc... Very, very impressive set up they've got. They're going to give the cable company in this area a run for the money. When I shut off our cable and turned in the boxes, there were a bunch of people doing the same.

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Master Chief, isn't that equivalent to putting a Ferrari engine in a Yugo? Good grief, I'll give you my version of Win2k.Out of curiosity, who provides your fiber? Is it asynchronous or do you get it all either direction?

A luddite by no means, Win98SE works very well, so I keep it. I have more control over what goes on inside me machine esp swapping out perfs. Aside, Bill Gates has enough $$ that he has made from selling Digital Research's system.:eek:

Not to be a wise acre, but asynchronous refers to timing requirements between transmitter and receiver. Async requires xmitter to signal start of each "character". Duplex means send and receive at same time.

Verizon is fiber optic vendor. Theoretical download speed is 15MBS, upload think 5MBS. Long story why I have it, but, have my jillion channel TV (including HD), Telephone, Alarm System, and Internet all on Fiber for about $110 month. Disclaimer: I own large block of their stock.

Related: Will take the Ferrari engine!:icon_smil

/end threadjack.

phrogpilot73

Not to be a wise acre, but asynchronous refers to timing requirements between transmitter and receiver. Async requires xmitter to signal start of each "character". Duplex means send and receive at same time.
Yeah, that's what I thought but I wasn't going to question him since he may know more than I do. Full Duplex vs. Half Duplex describes the ability to send bi-directional data or not. Full Duplex = send/receive same time, Half Duplex = send or receive, not both.

Re-reading his post, I think he was trying to determine if you get 15mbps both ways, and the answer is no. On Verizon you can can get 5, 15, or 30mbps download, coupled with 2, 2, and 5mbps (respectively) upload. So, if you're on a 15mbps plan, you only get 2mbps upload

The Chief

Retired
Contributor
Full Duplex vs. Half Duplex describes the ability to send bi-directional data or not. Full Duplex = send/receive same time, Half Duplex = send or receive, not both. ... you only get 2mbps upload

Yep, Full Duplex, Half Duplex and Simplex. Simplex can send but not receive; ie, one way circuit (of course send/receive depending on your locale with respect to the circuit.) TV is simplex, telephone is half-duplex in practice (can talk and listen but not talk and listen at same time) and Internet is full-duplex, send and receive at the same time. I know I took a bit of liberty with telephone.:(

Well, probably right, only 2MBS not 5mbs, of which I only use a small part. Way overkill, but ------.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Re-reading his post, I think he was trying to determine if you get 15mbps both ways, and the answer is no. On Verizon you can can get 5, 15, or 30mbps download, coupled with 2, 2, and 5mbps (respectively) upload. So, if you're on a 15mbps plan, you only get 2mbps upload

Bingo. That was my understanding of the main difference between ADSL and SDSL. Regardless, thanks to both for the info. I'd love to sign up, but I'm not sure they're able to lay down fiber here amongst the chickens and broken down pickups.

phrogpilot73

Bingo. That was my understanding of the main difference between ADSL and SDSL. Regardless, thanks to both for the info. I'd love to sign up, but I'm not sure they're able to lay down fiber here amongst the chickens and broken down pickups.
I just checked my old address in P-Cola and nope - it's not available... Sorry, but it is sweet :)

Machine

Super *********
pilot
None
Site Admin
Well, I did find some tables that needed repairing, so it's *possible* that was causing the problem. Did you ever get a database error?

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
I would rarely get the error. It's pretty much just stops doing what it was doing and tells me "Done." at the bottom. Haven't had the problem in the last two days.

HH-60H

Manager
pilot
Contributor
Well, I did find some tables that needed repairing, so it's *possible* that was causing the problem. Did you ever get a database error?
I got dB errors several times last night around midnight or so. It would only happen when I clicked on the 'Unread Posts' link in the upper right hand corner.

Ken_gone_flying

"I live vicariously through myself."
pilot
Contributor
I got dB errors several times last night around midnight or so. It would only happen when I clicked on the 'Unread Posts' link in the upper right hand corner.

It happened to me the last two nights, both around midnight.