• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Flying for Navy, Marines or Air Force?

Indeejordan

Thank you for responding. I can definately see that my post appears that I am trying to juice whichever branch for all its worth. I really do want to serve as a military officer. These are just things I am thinking about to decide which branch. I don't plan on just using the military and taking off for my own benefit. Thanks again.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Dude, its awesome that you want to serve, but the tone of your post makes it sound like your primary interest is juicing whichever branch you choose for all it's worth, then leaving it high and dry after you benefit. You didn't give mention to what types of personnel will be in your charge, how many, and what types of places and situations you will be tasked with leading them in. In short, that's what Officers do.

If your sole interest in the Marine Corps or Navy is personal gain, let me be the first to recommend you choose neither. There are a ton of benefits to military service, but don't let them be your deciding factor.

Cheers,
-Paul

I don't think this is exactly fair. The original poster said nothing about how long he was hopeing to be in the military making the "leaving the service high and dry" comment completely unwarranted. Further, whether someone joined because they feel morally obligated to serve their country or simply because they really can't afford college, as long as they serve honorably, what the hell does it matter to you? Clearly the individual has a desire to serve and that, quite frankly is more than alot of people today. If the government had a problem with people being enticed by the benefits of service and then leaving after the minimum obligation, they would take the benefits away and make the minimum service terms longer.

Cordespc

None
Contributor
Also, if you are into business might I suggest the Supply Corps; lots of money, numbers and management and you can tell chicks your an NFO to get the hook up (just kidding), there are tons of Supply groupies just waiting to get their hands on a pork chop.

Doubly true if you get a set of these babies....
navalsupply.jpg

Cordespc

None
Contributor
I don't think this is exactly fair. The original poster said nothing about how long he was hopeing to be in the military making the "leaving the service high and dry" comment completely unwarranted. Further, whether someone joined because they feel morally obligated to serve their country or simply because they really can't afford college, as long as they serve honorably, what the hell does it matter to you? Clearly the individual has a desire to serve and that, quite frankly is more than alot of people today. If the government had a problem with people being enticed by the benefits of service and then leaving after the minimum obligation, they would take the benefits away and make the minimum service terms longer.

I made no assumptions, just stated the way I perceived the tone of the post. The main point I was trying to convey is that military benefits are just that. There are other, significantly more important elements to consider when choosing a branch of military service....like whether or not you are willing to wear blue cammies:D

-Paul

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Doubly true if you get a set of these babies....
navalsupply.jpg

So true. I unfortunately don't have the strength to fight off the number of women those babies would attract.

In truth, I joined the Navy largely based on the stories from my Uncle Mike who retired as an O-6 in the Supply Corps. He was also instrumental in steering me away from the SWO community after my initial flight NPQ. When I was a kid he took me fishing and he and his buddies would go on about all the cool places they had been, all the great stuff they did that we can no longer do in the Navy (something about shark fishing, percussion grenades and M-14's), and all the tools they worked with that made for great stories. One of the smartest men I have ever met, he had a great career in Supply and I would recommend it to anybody who likes business or accounting.

Actually, that is one of the big selling points that give for joining the Navy; how many engineers do you know that keep a group entertained with stories about autocad or flying a desk in their 20's? Join the military and you are going to take a double helping of life that most men and women can only dream about, regardless of what service or specialty. You will know more people and have friends that last forever.

Wow, I sound like a recruiter.

Navy Power!

El Tee

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
I want to use my business degree in the service and to improve my business skills. So I guess my questions are if anyone knows which service will have a better chance of getting a business related occupation and which one has a better training program for business related professions?

Have you thought about the Air Force? I'm not trying to be a jackass here, but of the 4 branches, they're the most like a corporation, and you'll be more likely to find a business related function.

http://www.airforce.com/careers/subcatg.php?catg_id=1&sub_catg_id=2

The Navy has Supply and that's pretty much it. Click on the link and notice jobs such as: Contracting Officer, Cost Analysis Officer, Financial Management Officer, Logistician, Logistics plans and programming officer, etc, etc.

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
I made no assumptions, just stated the way I perceived the tone of the post. The main point I was trying to convey is that military benefits are just that. There are other, significantly more important elements to consider when choosing a branch of military service....like whether or not you are willing to wear blue cammies:D

-Paul

Look, dude! What color my Jammies are is none of your dang business. They are really more of a purple than blue.

Steve

RockyMtnNFO

None
Contributor
Have you thought about the Air Force?

Ok, this has to stop right here, right now. Why don't you just tell him to drink fruity beer and admit that he doesn't like Chuck Norris while he's at it? Should he take up squash and crud too? Madness!

Seriously, in the Navy, a Suppo is respected for his ability in his specialty and his contribution to the command. At my squadron, our chop was great guy and a real part of the wardroom. In the AF, logisitics blah blah blah blah blah= not a pilot.

Steve

Thisguy

Pain-in-the-dick
Ok, this has to stop right here, right now. Why don't you just tell him to drink fruity beer and admit that he doesn't like Chuck Norris while he's at it? Should he take up squash and crud too? Madness!

Maybe, but it sounds as if the OP is more interested in using his degree and learning business skills than being a Marine or Navy Officer.

We've all heard the sales pitch of supply and how it's the business part of the Navy, but seriously, he could end up as an O-1 on a carrier as the Stateroom Officer or Sales Officer, in which case, he won't be getting what he wants out of it.

Don't get me wrong, I like cutting on Air Force homos as much as the next guy, but some people might be happier and better off in the Air Force than the Navy/Marines.

Regardless of your MOS in the Marine Corps, you are a Marine first. Every Marine is a rifleman and every Marine officer is trained in the basics of leading an infantry unit. Furthermore, as an officer in the Marine Corps your number one priority is your Marines, not your own advancement. Why not go National Guard and get your business experience in the civilian sector?

jamnww

Hangar Four
pilot
Regardless of your MOS in the Marine Corps, you are a Marine first. Every Marine is a rifleman and every Marine officer is trained in the basics of leading an infantry unit. Furthermore, as an officer in the Marine Corps your number one priority is your Marines, not your own advancement. Why not go National Guard and get your business experience in the civilian sector?

An ok suggestion...but let us know what you think when you have been around a little longer...that being said there are certainly some parts of what you said that I agree with...others, just rings too much like a slogan...and not realistic...

HueyCobra8151

pilot
Getting out after 4-years isn't leaving the service "high and dry."

Seems like most people who enter the service talking about "their career" get out after 4, and most guys I know who are making a career of it just joined for four and wound up staying.

Either way, the military needs people to do four and get out - otherwise there would be too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. Probably why the Marine Corps 1st term retention is so low.

Zilch

This...is...Caketown!
If your sole interest in the Marine Corps or Navy is personal gain, let me be the first to recommend you choose neither. There are a ton of benefits to military service, but don't let them be your deciding factor.

Cheers,
-Paul

Try the Air Force, in that case. ;)

bunk22

Super *********
pilot
Super Moderator

HOORAH MARINE!! Go you Devil Dog!! A very motivated statment and hopefully through your career, you keep true to your values. Funny how that little crumpit about advancement seems to change with so many folks as time goes by :confused: