• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
They have a side mount for that now? Where does it go?

Brett

It actually existed before the nose mount. I think they even did a shot w/ one before they actually went into production w/ the Block I. It makes MIO much easier, as well.

Pitchlock

pilot
He didn't say ASW wasn't the real work, he said BAMS will free up the P-8 to do the real work, presumably ASW, since BAMS seems to be dedicated to SSC (not real familiar w/ the system).

Now I'm really confused...is the P-8's primary mission ASW or not?

My main concern is the flight profile of the platform. If because of technological advances the P-8s mission can be accomplished with the vast majority of the flight conducted above FL180 then I think the 737 is a great choice. After all the P-3 was the Lockheed Electra (an airliner) before becomming the P-3.

My worry is that the electronics aren't good enough to replace human eyes and brains below 5000' for extended periods of time. I don't think mid air refuelling is the answer for the random locations P-3s operate through out the world. I'd hate to have to coordinate with the airforce for tanker support before every mission.

I do like UAVs and the BAMS idea seems sound to me as another available tool.

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
My worry is that the electronics aren't good enough to replace human eyes and brains below 5000' for extended periods of time.

:confused: :confused: Have you really made alot of visual detections of submarines? If there is something I don't know here (which I'm sure there is) ok...but as a bubblehead, I'm skeptical.

East

东部
Contributor
The ASW role consist also of SAR-assistance and surface (ship) patrols.
I guess that's what was meant in the previous post.
In the RNLN we carried Naval Observers as a sideduty. Our Brequet Atlantiques and the P-2V7B's (Neptune) even had glass observations noses for this purpose.

Attachments

• SP2H%20216%20low.jpg
    SP2H%20216%20low.jpg
    145.6 KB · Views: 84

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
I don't think mid air refuelling is the answer for the random locations P-3s operate through out the world. I'd hate to have to coordinate with the airforce for tanker support before every mission.

You would be suprised how easy this actually is. If the AF is great at anything, it is planning. The tanker schedule for training and support missions is laid out months in advance. The other nice thing about the AF is that if the tanker breaks on the deck, they almost always have a spare. Very little pre-mission coordination is required. All you have to do is call their command post (another AFism) and ensure that the times and tracks mesh.

As far as in theater, someone else would have to answer that question, as I lack experience, but we (the Navy) tank with the AF all the time, so I doubt it is an issue.

Also, tanking won't be required for every mission on a 737. I don't know what the endurance of the P-8 configuration is going to be, but I doubt it is less than 7-8 hours, and with the significant increase in ground speed getting on station, it should give you ample loiter time flying endurance, especially at altitude.

I am truly jealous of anyone who is getting to fly that plane. The 737 is an extremely fun, capable, and surprisingly easy plane to fly and land. It is a proven airframe and should provide the Navy with a good, economical replacement for an aging weapons system.

Pitchlock

pilot
You would be suprised how easy this actually is. If the AF is great at anything, it is planning. The tanker schedule for training and support missions is laid out months in advance. The other nice thing about the AF is that if the tanker breaks on the deck, they almost always have a spare. Very little pre-mission coordination is required. All you have to do is call their command post (another AFism) and ensure that the times and tracks mesh.

The airforce would have to allocate one tanker per P-8. P-3s generally operate on solo missions. The AOR may be 1000nm from base. This means tanker would have to fly 1000 miles, refuel the P-8 on station before bingo, and then fly back. There won't be another P-8 on station for another 4 hours. So hanging around doesn't do any good. I don't get it...

e6bflyer

Used to Care
pilot
The airforce would have to allocate one tanker per P-8. P-3s generally operate on solo missions. The AOR may be 1000nm from base. This means tanker would have to fly 1000 miles, refuel the P-8 on station before bingo, and then fly back. There won't be another P-8 on station for another 4 hours. So hanging around doesn't do any good. I don't get it...

You are assuming operations are going to be identical to what the P-3 world is doing now.
I am just saying that the tanker thing is not that complex, really. If you do have to tank, it will likely be coordinated with little problem. It isn't like you are in a Hornet with 2 hours of gas. It is a nice capability to have in a big airplane with lots of gas, but isn't necessary for day to day type flying.
[talking out of my ass] The P-8 mission should be planned around it's fuel load and tanker availability. [/talking out of ass]

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
:confused: :confused: Have you really made alot of visual detections of submarines? If there is something I don't know here (which I'm sure there is) ok...but as a bubblehead, I'm skeptical.

The number one detection method of submarines is the MK 1 eyeball (fact). Anecdotal evidence says that the number one detection platform is the -46 doing a log run or Vertrep and whose pilot happens to look outside.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
The number one detection method of submarines is the MK 1 eyeball (fact). ....
True, and I can vouch for one ... right off the Horn of Africa in 1974 near the island of Socotra .... it was determined to be a Golf I or a possible converted Zulu class ... we were never really sure....the sail was still above water in the crash dive as I passed over it @ 500 KIAS and @ 5' .... I'm pretty sure they "heard" us onboard the sub ... :)

It was a big deal on the ship, especially since the STOOFs and HELOs were finding NOTHING. Not really their fault .... they were slow birds and it was a big ocean --- and we got lucky.

Like I say ... I'd rather be "lucky" than good any day ... :)

MasterBates

I have spotted more subs (real world, not canned exercises) by seeing them be it naked eye or NVG. For those that know ASW, the MDR for your eye beats a buoy in most conditions.