• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Ok, whats BAMS and SCC?

How is ASW not the real mission/work?

Its sounding like they are creating a mission for a platform rather than a platform for a mission.

You've been out of the VP community for a while, I'm guessing. Welcome to the 1990s. ;)

Brett

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
But...I've had probably 10 ACNA's in my time at -28...Perhaps I'm just unlucky...I don't know.

That is a totally different issue, or can be. I think I had 5 ANA Canx in Dec as well, and that wasn't even a busy month. You don't necessarily have aircraft not available due to maint., it can just be because guys are bringing aircraft back late, or other issues. It can be maint, but not always. Also, the sheer number of aircraft in CNATRA is staggering. Not sure about Corpus, but at Whiting, there's at least 120 T-34s. Take about 40% (rough estimate on the contract, I'm not sure of the exact number), and that's 45-50-ish airplanes that have to be up. In a fleet squadron, you have a fraction of that available, and a fraction of that are actually up, and a fraction of that (and that fraction might be equal "0") may be FMC. Flash hit the nail on the head, TRAWING aircraft are much simpler to maintain, so that helps, too, but just the simple act of getting a part is generally easier for Trawings because of the money available. Need a new helmet? Okay, here's one. Try that in the fleet and it takes a minimum of a few days (generally).

Just putting things in perspective. Generally, as an end operator, Trawing aircraft availablility is a good thing.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Ok, whats BAMS and SCC?

How is ASW not the real mission/work?

Its sounding like they are creating a mission for a platform rather than a platform for a mission.

He didn't say ASW wasn't the real work, he said BAMS will free up the P-8 to do the real work, presumably ASW, since BAMS seems to be dedicated to SSC (not real familiar w/ the system).

Flash:

I agree an automated SSC platform can be a good thing, but the other half of SSC is actually VID'ing the guys, which I argue shouldn't soley be done by a FLIR, whatever the platform may be. I know several times the FLIR picture wasn't good enough to see stuff that we could see w/ our eyes, and we have a pretty good FLIR, relative to some.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
He didn't say ASW wasn't the real work, he said BAMS will free up the P-8 to do the real work, presumably ASW, since BAMS seems to be dedicated to SSC (not real familiar w/ the system).

Flash:

I agree an automated SSC platform can be a good thing, but the other half of SSC is actually VID'ing the guys, which I argue should soley be done by a FLIR, whatever the platform may be. I know several times the FLIR picture wasn't good enough to see stuff that we could see w/ our eyes, and we have a pretty good FLIR, relative to some.

Bingo.

Some of the systems coming on-line and in development are much better than what is now fielded.

To put it in the simplest terms, there will be a lot less P-8's than there were ever P-3's and something has to get eyes on all those merchies, dhows and fishing boats. Getting eyes on with BAMS is a heck of a lot better than using nothing. UAV's are the wave of the future for many things, maritime surveillance is one area where they could do a very good job.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Oops, that should have been "...I argue shouldn't soley be done by a FLIR..."

I agree FLIR is better than nothing, but shouldn't be the exclusive method.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Oops, that should have been "...I argue shouldn't soley be done by a FLIR..."

I agree FLIR is better than nothing, but shouldn't be the exclusive method.

Who said it would be just FLIR? How about a family of sensors? Like I said, the FLIR/EO/IR sensors of tomorrow are much better than what is in the fleet today.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Who said it would be just FLIR? How about a family of sensors? Like I said, the FLIR/EO/IR sensors of tomorrow are much better than what is in the fleet today.

Very true. Sorry, wasn't putting all the posts together in my head. EO would definitely help out. So out of curiosity, what's the difference between "FLIR" and "IR?" ;)

TheBubba

I Can Has Leadership!
None
Though e6b was making a funny, methinks there a bit of truth in the joke.

Its my understanding that IR sensors have potential to look in any direction, where as FLIR is to see what's generally in front of the vehicle... hence the difference is the "FL"... At least that's how it was explained to me.

Cheers,
Bubba

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Though e6b was making a funny, methinks there a bit of truth in the joke.

Its my understanding that IR sensors have potential to look in any direction, where as FLIR is to see what's generally in front of the vehicle... hence the difference is the "FL"... At least that's how it was explained to me.

Cheers,
Bubba

In practice, however, it's more of a naming convention issue. I'm pretty sure some of the targeting pod FLIRs can look aft, and our old school P-3 IRDS could look aft as well as forward, despite not having "FL" in their name. ;)

Brett