• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

First flight of the P-8A Poseidon and all things related to transition

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Some of the mission loading is to be taken by the yet-to-be decided Board Area Maritime Surveillance (BAMS) program that will deliver a high endurance UAV to do maritime surveillance.

This brings up a question that maybe you know the answer to. If it's not for public consumption, then disregard. If there is some sort of UAV over the ocean providing SSC in a role that a P-3 does now, would other assets be able to call it and get tasking? It would make sense that there's a link back to the cubicle doing the SSC, but would old school UHF get piped into the link and allow for tasking of other units?

I'd hope the eggheads would think of this stuff, but I wonder. More than once I've been "picked up" by some loitering maritime asset that started tasking us from many miles away, and it was far more productive than the knuckle-heads on the ship who could only see 25 miles at a time.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Kaneohe looking good for transition to P-8

The Boeing P-8A Poseidon will be arriving in the Aloha State as quickly as four years according to latest reporting.

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Nitpick from hell, but... "air squad"?

I see that in civvie writing a lot, using "squad" as short for "squadron". Was that ever a common practice in the Real Navy, or just a silly civvieism?

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot
Nitpick from hell, but... "air squad"?

I see that in civvie writing a lot, using "squad" as short for "squadron". Was that ever a common practice in the Real Navy, or just a silly civvieism?

Isn't a squad something like 10 people? Me thinks it an unknowing civilianism.

phrogpilot73

Isn't a squad something like 10 people? Me thinks it an unknowing civilianism.
A squad is comprised of 13 people. (1) Squad Leader, (3) Fire Team Leaders, (3) Automatic Riflemen, (3) Assistant Automatic Riflemen, and (3) Riflemen. At least that's what it is in the USMC, doctrinally. Mileage may vary among other services and also within the USMC...

ea6bflyr

Working Class Bum
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A squad is comprised of 13 people. (1) Squad Leader, (3) Fire Team Leaders, (3) Automatic Riflemen, (3) Assistant Automatic Riflemen, and (3) Riflemen. At least that's what it is in the USMC, doctrinally. Mileage may vary among other services and also within the USMC...

Ah, the beloved Marine Corps "rules of three"

-ea6bflyr ;)

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Yeah...word round the VP-30 campfire is that Boeing has agreed to move up the timeline on P-8 by as much as 18 months in response to P-3C fatigue life issues...

Of course no Naval Aircraft development schedule has EVER been met...so what do you suppose the chances of one being pushed up are?:D:D

puck_11

Growler LSO
pilot
Yeah...word round the VP-30 campfire is that Boeing has agreed to move up the timeline on P-8 by as much as 18 months in response to P-3C fatigue life issues...

Of course no Naval Aircraft development schedule has EVER been met...so what do you suppose the chances of one being pushed up are?:D:D

They're ahead of schedule on the Growler ;)

NavAir42

I'm not dead yet....
pilot

And thus the battle of the fat kids in the candy store brawl begins as to who gets the P-8 first.

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
They're ahead of schedule on the Growler ;)

Superhornet block Growler. The line between the Growler and E/F is actually going to narrow more and more as time goes on, so I don't really put it as a whole new platform, despite the plethora of new systems on it.

But still, BZ for it (at least looking like it will) getting to the fleet on/ahead of time.

But we shall see...