• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
you should have, there is or was a form that you had to initial acknowledging you rec'd one and it was supposed to be signed by your recruiter.
not even close to the process i went through..."oh hey, since you are here you might want to look at a few things in this book and feel free to take it home if you'd like". also, had to go in to the station myself or it wouldn't even known this should have happened. same with the finger prints. "oh you never did prints, my bad just talk to the processor and figure it out" is this the same for most recruiting stations or just the ones that are 300 miles away from the closest NRD?

utswimmer37

"Descent Planning"
pilot
on the same note should I call every month or so about an FS? I don't know if there is anything I should be proactive about now that I know I have a tentative date. Just wouldn't want to be screwed out of any opportunities because I didn't ask the right questions at the right times.

Hump

Not at the Enterprise I want to work at...
UT, I've been checking in with my OR every week or week and a half just to be safe.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
I never received an OCS book, though looking back through my files, I did fill out a form back in December saying that I did. Specifically there are two check boxes:

* I have received and reviewed the Naval Officer Delayed Entry Program Guide to Success. I will coordinate with my recruiter to establish a time line for completing the Personnel Qualification Standards (PQS) to ensure I am prepared for the transition to OCS/ODS.

* I have been informed that there are Navy Knowledge Online (NKO) courses available at https://www.nko.navy.mil in Naval History, Military Training Requirements, and Service Etiquette training that will help me become prepared for OCS/ODS. I can access these courses after I contact my OCS mentor at http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ocs.asp or ODS mentor at http://www.ocs.navy.mil/ods.asp. Although course registration is not madatory, I understand successful completion of these courses will assist my efforts to become a Naval Officer.

The NKO site says "CAC required" for access, and I recall reading somewhere else that we won't get a CAC until after we get to OCS, is that true? I also don't see anything about OCS mentors on the website mentioned in the second bullet.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
The NKO site says "CAC required" for access, and I recall reading somewhere else that we won't get a CAC until after we get to OCS, is that true? I also don't see anything about OCS mentors on the website mentioned in the second bullet.
Oh yeah, funny thing about that. While my class was at OCS, NKO switched to CAC only. And since only about half of us had CAC cards (all the priors), we didn't have to do (or re-do) any of the NKO courses until we checked into our next command. I wouldn't worry about doing any of them before heading out to OCS though, since it'll probably be nearly impossible to get access as a non-prior.
And for the life of me, I've never heard of the phrase "OCS mentor." No idea what they're talking about there. But like I said, I wouldn't worry about trying to do NKO's before getting there.

Mr Spenz

"Your brief saved your flight' - every IP
pilot
Oh yeah, funny thing about that. While my class was at OCS, NKO switched to CAC only. And since only about half of us had CAC cards (all the priors), we didn't have to do (or re-do) any of the NKO courses until we checked into our next command. I wouldn't worry about doing any of them before heading out to OCS though, since it'll probably be nearly impossible to get access as a non-prior.
And for the life of me, I've never heard of the phrase "OCS mentor." No idea what they're talking about there. But like I said, I wouldn't worry about trying to do NKO's before getting there.
They are on the share drive now I believe.

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
What's that?
It's the network storage, accessible from all the laptops at OCS, and annotated as the S drive (like how the C drive is usually local storage, D drive is usually the CD/DVD drive, etc.). And hidden somewhere on that drive, other than NKO's apparently, is a cache of music and, God willing, some movies that haven't been found yet. So you can listen to some Van Morrison and watch Battleship on that rare night when you have absolutely nothing to do.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
It's the network storage, accessible from all the laptops at OCS, and annotated as the S drive (like how the C drive is usually local storage, D drive is usually the CD/DVD drive, etc.). And hidden somewhere on that drive, other than NKO's apparently, is a cache of music and, God willing, some movies that haven't been found yet. So you can listen to some Van Morrison and watch Battleship on that rare night when you have absolutely nothing to do.
So the NKO's are something that we work through while at OCS? Or are we somehow supposed to look at that stuff before we get there?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
So the NKO's are something that we work through while at OCS? Or are we somehow supposed to look at that stuff before we get there?
The former. One of the many things that you'll have to juggle (on top of drill, classes, inspections, etc), as OCS tries to teach time management skills among other things.

Fronch

OCS 03-15 (IW)
The former. One of the many things that you'll have to juggle (on top of drill, classes, inspections, etc), as OCS tries to teach time management skills among other things.
Okay. So the only thing we should know before getting there is the "Big <insert number between 3 and 5 depending on who you ask>", i.e., the information in the OCS gouge document?

Tycho_Brohe

pilot
Contributor
Okay. So the only thing we should know before getting there is the "Big <insert number between 3 and 5 depending on who you ask>", i.e., the information in the OCS gouge document?
Yes, code of conduct, eleven general orders, service songs, chain of command, and the Sailor's Creed.

Dangy

Pew pew pew
pilot
In the booklet, regarding leadership traits, it's actually 15, not 14. Then again, I may be wrong. It's JJ DID TIE BUCKLE H. The 15th is Honor.

Also, saw a previous post, that there is now 13 people in the CoC, and not 15. Assistant Operations and CO of OTC is no more, but a Course Supervisor is added above Leading Class Officer.

Last edited: