• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Final Select Purgatory

priorguy

Sorry if I made it sound like I was coming at you. It was more of a concern since I'll be one of those young ensigns.
I was not the least bit offended, otejay. In fact, I'm glad you said something because I think you and other people on here are bringing up some good points. Now that we will all be in a leadership role, one of our jobs is going to deal with the conduct of our junior sailors. Very rarely did the divo deal with disciplinary actions - it was mostly the 1st classes and CPOs. Yet, if one of your sailors in your division does something stupid, like being disrepectful, you can bet you are going to have an input.

While it is the case that you must be respected by all enlisted personnel due to your rank, it's better to earn that respect. What I mean is that it's better to be respected as a person first, then rank - if that makes sense? If you are a junior officer, non-prior, don't walk in there with a big head - stay humble. I found that I respected an officer more if they took the time to know their division, fight for their guys (awards, evals, ect.), and stick up to their chief. Oh and most importantly, don't leave for the day before your guys - bad taste.

Here's a book that my old divo recommended me as I await OCS. If you're interested, just punch this into Amazon:
Division Officer's Guide Hardcover – November 5, 2004
by Admiral James Stavridis (Author), Captain Robert Girrier (Author)
ISBN-13: 978-1591147992 ISBN-10: 1591147999 Edition: 11th

otejay

I was not the least bit offended, otejay. In fact, I'm glad you said something because I think you and other people on here are bringing up some good points. Now that we will all be in a leadership role, one of our jobs is going to deal with the conduct of our junior sailors. Very rarely did the divo deal with disciplinary actions - it was mostly the 1st classes and CPOs. Yet, if one of your sailors in your division does something stupid, like being disrepectful, you can bet you are going to have an input.

While it is the case that you must be respected by all enlisted personnel due to your rank, it's better to earn that respect. What I mean is that it's better to be respected as a person first, then rank - if that makes sense? If you are a junior officer, non-prior, don't walk in there with a big head - stay humble. I found that I respected an officer more if they took the time to know their division, fight for their guys (awards, evals, ect.), and stick up to their chief. Oh and most importantly, don't leave for the day before your guys - bad taste.

Here's a book that my old divo recommended me as I await OCS. If you're interested, just punch this into Amazon:
Division Officer's Guide Hardcover – November 5, 2004
by Admiral James Stavridis (Author), Captain Robert Girrier (Author)
ISBN-13: 978-1591147992 ISBN-10: 1591147999 Edition: 11th

I appreciate the advice. Also, I just ordered the book haha

lenninscjay

Red-headed stepchild (MH-53)
....What I mean is that it's better to be respected as a person first, then rank - if that makes sense? If you are a junior officer, non-prior, don't walk in there with a big head - stay humble...

Non-prior here, but what you said totally makes sense. If it at all relates, in my experience between JROTC, CAP, and ROTC where everyone's participation/compliance is more-or-less voluntary, I can tell you that the proper attitude can move mountains even in the absence of rank. Be a good person in general and approach the individual by being respectful but firm and confident but humble (as a JO especially). I've never really seen a need in my past programs to "bark orders", simply asking was usually enough to get things done whether rank was implied or not (and if it wasn't enough, a request was never really just a question - it was always assumed it's an order.) I'm curious to find out for myself if the fleet is similar.

I'll take a look at the books, thanks priorguy.

jmeff

I strongly recommend the following book:

It's Your Ship: Management Techniques from the Best Damn Ship in the Navy
D. Michael Abrashoff ISBN-13: 978-1455523023

I normally stay away from military-based leadership literature, but this read was very much worth my time. Most of the topics discussed I would assume to be common sense, but...

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
So my recruiter confirmed what we already knew--that no SWO is getting out until the summer. He also said not to worry about ever being age critical even though I turn 31 in November. If he's wrong on that one, will the navy "remember" to get me out the door on time? I'm just second guessing his opinion since he was a little off on the SWO OCS dates (see my email with him in another thread).

JamesDStrunk

I submitted and received an age waiver with the SWO community manager just for a CYA scenario where someone tells me one thing and something else happens. If I was you, I'd petition for an age waiver as well. You never know. And it can't possibly hurt you.

enlUSMC

It's SWOtastic
I submitted and received an age waiver with the SWO community manager just for a CYA scenario where someone tells me one thing and something else happens. If I was you, I'd petition for an age waiver as well. You never know. And it can't possibly hurt you.
Thanks. I have a waiver, I just thought it was only good to age 31.

JamesDStrunk

It should say on the bottom when it expires. Mine does. If it is going to expire prior to you leaving for OCS...I would definetly start asking more questions.

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
Talked with someone at NRC to confirm my 05July2015 report date, and he let me know that I should see the letter and/or orders in May. He confirmed that he's currently pushing FINSELs for the April class, which means that everyone else should see something roughly 2-2.5 months before their report date.

exNavyOffRec

Talked with someone at NRC to confirm my 05July2015 report date, and he let me know that I should see the letter and/or orders in May. He confirmed that he's currently pushing FINSELs for the April class, which means that everyone else should see something roughly 2-2.5 months before their report date.

I think that makes you an FY 16 selection/commission

usnavymle

Pro-Rec Y IW
I think that makes you an FY 16 selection/commission
That's entirely possible. From the way he put it, I should graduate prior to the start of the next fiscal year. I know the classes are three months, but I don't have a preference on being either FY15 or FY16. I was also told that, depending on the need for spots in that class, I may get pushed to the August class anyway (just more time to spend with the new baby).
I'll be keeping everyone in here company in the meantime!

jmeff

That's entirely possible. From the way he put it, I should graduate prior to the start of the next fiscal year. I know the classes are three months, but I don't have a preference on being either FY15 or FY16. I was also told that, depending on the need for spots in that class, I may get pushed to the August class anyway (just more time to spend with the new baby).

The 05 July class has a graduation date of 25 September; you will just barely make that cutoff. I don't know if CANTRAC has the dates for FY16 posted yet.

PettyOfficerCJ

I finally got all the medical part squared away too this week. I would like to get an April date (hopefully not sooner). Just waiting for orders now!