• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Fighting in Georgia

"Ukraine Threatens to Bar Russian Warships."
Ukraine said on Sunday it reserved the right to temporarily bar Russian warships dispatched to the Georgian coast from returning to their Ukrainian base of Sevastopol.

"Ukraine ... reserves the right to bar warships and vessels which could take part in the action (conflict with Georgia) from returning to Ukrainian territory until the conflict is solved," according to a Ukrainian Foreign Ministry statement.

http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/LA480092.htm

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Is that a question or a statement?

(For an example of a question, see above.)

It was me asking a quasi-incredulous question-statement because you said something ridiculous. It was me making a statement re-iterating what you just tried to pass off as legitimate and tacking on a question mark to confirm that I did, in fact, hear you try to pass off what you just tried to pass as fact.

It was me asking a quasi-incredulous question-statement because you said something ridiculous. It was me making a statement re-iterating what you just tried to pass off as legitimate and tacking on a question mark to confirm that I did, in fact, hear you try to pass off what you just tried to pass as fact.

You're right. Russia's invasion of Afghanistan has nothing to do with the weapons in the country.:confused:

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

Are you implying that the people we trained to fight against the Soviets in Afghanistan are the same people who became the Taliban, because if you are, you'd be dead wrong.

Brett

scoober78

(HCDAW)
pilot
Contributor
Are you implying that the people we trained to fight against the Soviets in Afghanistan are the same people who became the Taliban, because if you are, you'd be dead wrong.

Brett

Yeah...someone's been reading too much Time.:rolleyes:

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None

Brett

Exactly right. Please refer to Ghost Wars, by Steve Coll, if you want to be enlightened on this subject. First In, by Gary Schroen, is another excellent book which discussed how, in large part, the people we trained to fight in Afghanistan against the Soviets turned out to be the same people we later allied with to fight the Taliban. Funny how logical that sounds.

And yes, m0tbaillie, it is Russia's fault that they invaded Afghanistan. Arguing otherwise is just bizarre.

TurnandBurn55

None
By the way, am I missing something, or when did Georgia become an "ally"? I realize we're on very friendly terms with them, that they're on our side in Iraq... but an alliance kind of implies a treaty obligation... like the North Atlantic Treaty, the Nunn Amendment...

Are we using the term "ally" in the lose meaning that we're friends with them (which I find somewhat irresponsible journalism)? Or that we actually have signed a formal alliance, which has been ratified by the Senate?

I'm guessing the former...

OUSOONER

Crusty Shellback
pilot

Brett

While I do agree with you, you can't deny we have shot ourselves in the foot a few times as well.

rumsfeld-saddam.jpg

m0tbaillie

Former SWO

Brett

No, I'm saying that the reason Afghanistan even has some of the weaponry it has now is because we gave it to them (i.e. stingers). When the Taliban first showed up in Afghanistan, they were actually the anti-thesis of the Mujahadeen and were pretty well-received.

This argument is neither here nor there, as it's only going to derail the thread.

TurnandBurn55

None
No, I'm saying that the reason Afghanistan even has some of the weaponry it has now is because we gave it to them (i.e. stingers). .

Backpedal, backpedal. The reason he has an RPG is because that's a Soviet-made weapon and it came from the Soviet invasion. Bringing up Stingers is conflating two different arguments. They had the desired effect of bloodying the Soviets' nose. In 7 years that we've been in Afghanistan, (and 22 since we sold them the weapon), can you name a single incident where a US or coalition aircraft has been shot down by a Taliban carrying a Stinger? Compare that to nearly 300 Soviet aircraft shot down in just under three years there... kinda begs the question as to whether it's even a relevant issue anymore.

I suggest basing your arguments on facts, rather what popular culture suggests :)

navyseals1.jpg

m0tbaillie

Former SWO
Backpedal, backpedal. The reason he has an RPG is because that's a Soviet-made weapon and it came from the Soviet invasion. Bringing up Stingers is conflating two different arguments. They had the desired effect of bloodying the Soviets' nose. In 7 years that we've been in Afghanistan, (and 22 since we sold them the weapon), can you name a single incident where a US or coalition aircraft has been shot down by a Taliban carrying a Stinger? Compare that to nearly 300 Soviet aircraft shot down in just under three years there... kinda begs the question as to whether it's even a relevant issue anymore.

I suggest basing your arguments on facts, rather what popular culture suggests :)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Cyclone

Well, you don't think any of that money or weapons that we funneled into that country in the 70s and 80s didn't carry over and that, at least in part, some of it isn't still being utilized today?