• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

fighters

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevin

jaerose- that sucks! well enjoy it anyway. just by chance, there's another really good airshow in chicago aug 17/18. downside, you cant climb all over planes cause there's no place to park em, but they fly a lot closer to the crowd since it's over water. the same f18 pilot shows up each year and does a stunt that ive never seen done in a fighter before. he pulls his jet up into a complete stall and hangs there for over a minute right in front of the crowd. forward airspeed is only 10 knots or something. then he goes around and makes a pass right over the crowd at barely subsonic. pretty sweet flying.

jaerose

I'll be ending my second week of OCS. Actually, the Terre Haute, IN airshow is this weekend and then the 26/27th of July is the Grissom AFB airshow with the T-birds. It's in N-Central Indiana and only costs $3.00 per person. At Dayton, we're in the pavillion about 4th row. That's why we went on Thursday...less crowded and the same show! It'll be awesome. I think by the time I hit OCS I should be sunburned and airshowed out...or not!

JR

Fly Navy

...Great Job!
pilot
Super Moderator
Contributor
Hey akamifeldman, you're 15, you don't know all the threats out there. It's more than just Al Qaeda and the terrorists. Missile defense looks toward the war of tomorrow, that's how you plan this stuff. Not trying to slam you, I was kinda like you at that age, but careful what you think you know.

A note on the F-4, it beat the PISS out of the MiGs once we got guns on there. The major problem was the engineers and the military thought it was such an AMAZING idea to have only missiles. Well, unfortunately missiles of that time weren't that reliable and they'd get caught in a "knife fight". When you're close in fighting with no gun...um yeah, you're toast. After that problem was fixed, MiG pilots were scared to death of F-4s. Many would punch out when they realized they were up against that beautiful aircraft.

Iraqi pilots in Gulf War 1 were no slouches. I've heard many US Pilots praise them on their abilities.

Fly Navy
ENS USNR

kevin

dont feel bad about posting your views. but the fact is world affairs are so complex that you can't make simple equations out of it. yes we backed both taliban and hussein during the respective times, however there was a much greater threat then. what happened or ended 10 or 20 years ago or whatever has little bearing on affairs of the future. hindsight is always 20/20, and you never know what will happen in the future- hence my point about russia. the main reason russia has the relations as friendly as they are with us is for the money. notice i didnt say we would be going to war with russia any time soon, nor do i hope we do, but just go to flymig.com and look at how many countries have russian fighters (the good ones!) exported to them. once again i'll say, today's friends are tomorrow's enemies. as for the comment about being a democrat, dont use that as a shield. i am a political liberal, moral conservative. but i hate how democrats always seem to equate republican views as anti-peace and narrow-minded. i disagree with star wars being built as well because the nuclear threat is from dirty bombs now, not icbm's (and the expense is ridiculous). it is not needed anymore, and one could plausibly say the same for the b2 bomber (designed to wipe out soviet cities). i just see world peace as the presence of justice (the true meaning of peace) and not the warm fuzzy world where everybody holds hands and gets along (which will NEVER happen, no matter how many peace rallies you hold). and the situation in iraq as you mentioned isnt that simple either. the main reason we went in was not for the weapons currently there, but for the welfare of the people and the prevention of the inevitable development of those programs. you have to read between the lines with these things. the president stated that wmd was the reason during press conferences because if he got up on the podium and said "i think the iraqi people are being scourged and we should do something about it", congress would have laughed at him. it's called "politics", unfortunately.

as for the f4, it was designed with the idea at the time that speed was everything. when it got to vietnam, it got raped by the mig because of the knifefight as you called it. and yes the lack of gun thing was a huge issue. but, ive not heard or read that this improved much with addition of guns, but if it did it was do to better pilots (having a gun of course) because the mig was a better plane close in- gun or no gun.

zuggerat

i think this is more of an economical question...it's not the fact that we have fallen behind in aviation in comparison to the russians. it's the fact that our gov't has other things to worry about besides national defense. Everyone knows that this is also always questioned in congress; we constantly hear about congress wanting to cut/cutback funding for a certain defense program. (JSF/F-35A/B/C program has all ready have total rollout cuts already) The russians were developing the Mig29 and Su33 during teh coldwar so the soviet/russian govt could effectively fund their defense programs to the point where other municipalities in the govt were basically neglected. The communistic nature of their former gov't allows them to do this because all of the industries are owned by the gov't. So the fact that our aircraft have come out with similar if not better flight characteristics and build quality while being funded on a much stricter budget, while still not neglecting the citizens of this country and their quality of life is truely amazing. I think we have amazing aircraft and it's not just the aircraft but the people who are flying them. Mad Props Y'all

NavyLonghorn

This comment isn't directed towards anyone in particualr. But it is interesting how many "experts" we have on this forum.

zuggerat

theres a lot of attributing factors im just saying i think its much more complex than our fighters arent as good as theirs or visa versa

kevin

just my opinions, but at least they're educated ones i feel. never said i couldnt be wrong.

spsiratt

24 April OCS
It almost seems as though a few of you were suggesting that we not believe everything we see on CNN. Can this be? CNN doesn't know everything? Come on folks. When the American public, especially those who are overeducated or believe themselves to be, quit taking every word from a newscaster's mouth as gospel, we'll all be better off. The public gets bits and pieces of the story and forms half-assed opinions of what's wrong with our government. I would by no means suggest that we all just trust what the government says, that's unamerican. However I would suggest that we not all read or watch the news and assume that we know all there is to know. Just because the government does something that we disagree with doesn't mean that it wasn't the wisest decision given all the facts.

akamifeldman, happy birthday and toughen up a bit or I guarantee you won't make it in the military.

Oh, and as for the planes, I think the 18 is better. Of course, that's just an opinion, I'm not even a pilot. I could still be swayed on that one.

F4... best fighter of it's time, bar none.

NavyLonghorn

Don't get all defenisve, I said I wasn't pointing that comment towards anyone in specific!

Infact I would say I'm quite often on of the most guilty of stating opinions about stuff I know almost nothing about.

JKD

after re-reading the thread a couple times, I decided to delete my comments with the "Troll" statement.

Happy Birthday akamifeldman.

zuggerat

yo navy...we know ur not bashin us...we just like gettin our $.02 in there whenever we can...u cool wit me

Status
Not open for further replies.