• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Feinstein to introduce AWB in January

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Obviously there's been a run on lowers...the interwebs shows that, but don't forget SHOT is in 3 weeks so there's not a lot in the channels yet. I think some stuff will come back in stock come Feb, but of course, it will go fast. I'm just hoping I can find a Mega .308 lower by then.

Renegade One

None
If you talk politics to a lot of Californians, so many vote for DiFi, Boxer and Pelosi time after time for just single social issues. Tunnel vision through a capillary tube. Abortion, advancing women rights, LGBT etc.. There are so many folks in CA that place individual social issues over greater economic and future growth issues it's mind boggling.

We're embarrassing.
Apropos of nothing whatsoever, in the same month that 20 children died in Newtown, ~1200 children died through abortion...

But since no firearms were involved...only a very few "religious nut cases" care...

I know, I know...3rd rail of American politics....

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
Guys, the gun thread has stayed open because, despite some emotions, it's still been a reasonable discussion about the Constitution and an attempt at discussing options.

Invoking name calling of a sitting Senator(s), arguing politics, and then bringing up abortion is pretty much the trifecta of getting a thread closed. Make it productive or it closes.

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
If you talk politics to a lot of Californians, so many vote for DiFi, Boxer and Pelosi time after time for just single social issues. Tunnel vision through a capillary tube. Abortion, advancing women rights, LGBT etc.. There are so many folks in CA that place individual social issues over greater economic and future growth issues it's mind boggling.
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the Republican party needs to come to grips with the 21st century when it comes to social and cultural policies.

It's great that Republicans can unilaterally carry small-town neighborhoods who think that teaching the theory of evolution in schools ought to be banned and that contraception is the work of the devil. It's great that a guy like Huckabee really speaks to the devoted Christian when he makes a public speech about how the elementary school massacre was a direct result of removing prayer from schools. And it's great that they have guys who will call abortion at any stage of a pregnancy for any reason murder. The country needs some people like that. But these aren't the guys the GOP should be remotely considering for Presidential candidates. The image of the Republican Party to much of urban and suburban America is a group of rich, old white men who support socially intrusive policies that wants to take away your right to have fun and give all your tax money to other rich, white men. This is ironic since the GOP spends a lot of money and advertisement time trying to paint itself as the champion of smaller government and freedom.

In order to compete in the major population centers of the country and be able to move forward with realistic policies that the federal government can actually control, they're going to have to recognize that the majority of Americans recognize things like pre-marital sex will occur and that a vast majority of Americans support a woman's right to choose during at least some portion of a pregnancy. Issues like those are fairly non-negotiable on a national scale, so when a GOP candidate tries to champion sex after marriage or outlawing abortion no matter what, he looks like a neanderthal to over 2/3 of the population. Maybe in the 1980s these were good wedge issues to "galvanize the base," but in 2012 it just makes them look like they are behind the times. Now throw in the fact that the GOP's stance on "economic freedom" doesn't really touch the average joe making $30-50k/year, since they aren't going to have a large investment portfolio where arguments over capital gains tax rates or how to tax married couples making over $240k/year really matter to them.

Democrats may want to raise taxes and grow social programs, but most Americans see those programs as beneficial to them in the future. Who wouldn't want to collect social security after 40 years of work? Yea taxes suck, but at least medicare is going to a "good cause." On the other hand, people have trouble seeing the bright side when a politician tells people who they can marry, what women can do with their bodies, and what entertainers can say on public airwaves. They also have trouble with understanding why they should vote for a political party that wants to spend hundreds of billions of dollars to sustain a military to nation build in the middle east.

You may call this "tunnel vision through a capillary tube," but in reality voters are really deciding that the government intrusiveness of the Democrats -- taking their money and giving it to the elerly or poor -- is a better option than the intrusiveness of the GOP, who voters think will give their money away to the military-industrial complex and take away their personal freedoms. And in much of urban/suburban America, you don't see a whole lot of gun ranges or have a whole lot of people who like to go hunting on a regular basis, but you do have violent gangs. So the amount of people who see a realistic need to have firearms is proportionally lower, and the people who associate gun ownership with criminal organization is proportionally higher.

jtmedli

pilot
I've said this before and I'll say it again: the Republican party needs to come to grips with the 21st century when it comes to social and cultural policies.

Dude, you're way over thinking it. The republicans just need to learn how to play as dirty as the democrats. If the Dems wanna go on TV and be disrespectful and cast false blame and accusations then I say that all forms chivalry go out the window. Republicans need to learn how to go for the throat.

As far as why people vote for democrats, it comes down to this simple statement from an Obama supporter on TV last night: "I didn't vote for Romney cause I heard he was gonna take away my food stamps. I need my food stamps." Keep in mind she didn't look like she had missed any meals and her haircut was proly costing her $150/2 weeks and she was holding a new cell phone as she said this.

The way I see it, if the Democrats want to play with propaganda style politics then the republicans should learn how to get dirty.

Pugs

Back from the range
None
Democrats may want to raise taxes and grow social programs, but most Americans see those programs as beneficial to them in the future. Who wouldn't want to collect social security after 40 years of work? Yea taxes suck, but at least medicare is going to a "good cause."

Can't disagree with this. As someone from age 22 to nearly 49 that has worked in one form or another for the government I like to believe that whether it was banging off the front end of the boat at night to go in harms way or delivering a next generation SIGINT system I have given more to them than they have to me.

The question is one of degrees. I'm about to gore someone's oxen here but I look at how the VA came into the TAP class and basically begged people to apply for disability. I did a self examination and I certainly was not in the shape I was reporting to Pensacola in 86 I was also 20 years older. The wear and tear on my body was likely due in some way to the Navy but I was not about to ascribe any hearing loss or other stuff to the boat or to Prowlers when it could have been recreational shooting, chainsawing or Bob Seeger at fault (awesome concert by the way!) I simply could not ethically take the governments disability money . Are there people that are disabled from their military service? Sure, my brother had a railing give way and fell two decks to the top of a boiler on the USS Jason. He's had two back surgeries and a shoulder surgery at the VA to try and fix it but the way the VA came in and pushed to the class left me very cold.

Now, lets look at social security the same way. No one has any issues with some getting social security after working for 40 years. However with over 14 million people under 65 on social security disability (http://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/quickfacts/stat_snapshot/) I have to wonder where the tipping point of contributors vs non-contributors is. My wife and I live modestly (ok, occasional splurges) and invest a significant part of our income. I am very sure that because we have saved and invested that needs testing will be a factor when I am eligible for SS I will receive a reduced amount or perhaps none at all. I do know that it is unlikely I will ever get all I ever put in SS out of it. Simple call it a tax and be done with it.

While he was vilified for it. Romney's comment about the 47% is more truth than fiction. A reassessment of entitlements needs to be done. Our Judeo-Christian roots do not allow us to stand idle and let people die in the streets and we will not let that happen but as well, we are a country founded on success through hard work and the rewards thereof.

Flugelman

Contributor
While he was vilified for it. Romney's comment about the 47% is more truth than fiction. A reassessment of entitlements needs to be done. Our Judeo-Christian roots do not allow us to stand idle and let people die in the streets and we will not let that happen but as well, we are a country founded on success through hard work and the rewards thereof.

He was way off, turns out it was 51%... :)

brownshoe

Contributor

He was way off, turns out it was 51%... :)

Amen bruddahs!

Spekkio

He bowls overhand.
Pugs I agree with you. There are also many Republicans who would like to push this very issue. My point is that the GOP is too busy losing votes by pushing antiquated social policies to be able to gain enough of a Congressional majority to reform entitlement spending.

One thing to note though is that one cannot get social security, fica, or medicare tax back on his returns, so one pays into those regardless of income level. And social security tax is capped. Romney was strictly speaking of people who effectively pay very little income tax.

As far as the age for social security, everyone ages differently. Also, people who make a living in manual labor will generally need to retire earlier than people who work at a desk. How do you adjust for the wide range of physical health among those in their 60s if you raise the retirement age?

jtmedi, both parties engage in propoganda as you call it. Unfortunately many Americans aren't buying what the GOP is selling.

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Funny how fast this silly stuff gets ramrodded through, but a simple budget plan brings them to their knees...

JackyB

What CAMike experienced in Clovis is happening all over this state. In my two local CA gun shops, they were four and five deep at the counters buying black rifles. I am sure it is happening elsewhere.

Funny, every time a liberal opens their mouth on Gun Control, sales just skyrocket. Unfortunately, this tragedy and ensuing rush to legislate will may make all new and old black rifle owners law violators. Or instead, offer them a grandfather clause that lets them register and pay an annual friggin fee to possess. The fee will of course increase every year ultimately making ownership cost prohibitive.

C420sailor

Former Rhino Bro
pilot
Or instead, offer them a grandfather clause that lets them register and pay an annual friggin fee to possess. The fee will of course increase every year ultimately making ownership cost prohibitive.

It's a good thing I don't own any guns, especially evil black rifles.