• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Favorite Top Gun quote(s)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyJayUSN

Stevew...

Ok...you just broke a major rule of engagement...Iron Eagle...sheesh...just to give you heads up, if you have any hopes of becoming a 'Naval Aviator' you're required to watch Top Gun at least 100 times...

<I SWIM 'CAUSE I'M TOO DAMNED SEXY FOR SPORTS THAT REQUIRE CLOTHING>

NavyLonghorn

I just bought the Iron Eagle DVD at Wallmart the other day for like 3 bucks. Top Gun still costs 15. Clearly the Navy wins.

stevew

Sorry, maybe I misunderstood the question. If I remember correctly the beginning of Iron Eagle has a dedication to the pilot that died while making the movie in an inverted flat spin. He was a stunt pilot and they assumed that the reason he couldn't pull out of it was becuase the weight from the cameras through him off. Didn't know that the same thing happened in Top Gun in the regular flat spin. Don't worry LadyJay I'm sure I've seen Top Gun at least as many times as anyone here if not more. I have it copied to my hard drive.

NavyLonghorn

Plane Talk
Stunt flying continues to take its toll today, sometimes even in Hollywood. One of the most famous movie mishaps took the life of legendary stunt flyer Art "The Professor" Scholl, a disciplined flyer with an engineer's mind who flew his stunt routines with his little dog Aileron as copilot. While flying a dangerous inverted flat spin during the filming of the movie Top Gun, something went wrong that no one yet understands. The stunt, though dangerous, was one that Scholl knew well and had performed safely hundreds of times before. On his final flight, though, Scholl didn't recover from the spin, and radioed his ground crew, "I've got a problem." A few seconds later, he radioed again for the last time: "I've really got a problem."

stevew

I thought that was in Iron Eagle.... My bad... I assume that was the reason the scene in Top Gun was not filmed as an inverted flat spin.

YouthGoneWild

I also noticed in the closing credits of Top Gun that the movie was "dedicated to the memory" of somebody. It probably was Art Scholl. One of my favorite lines is "Son, your ego is writing checks your body can't cash."

BeanFighter

pilot
Good try Frumby..... OK you punks, listen up...or.. read up...whatever. I'll teach you CORRECT BFM maneuvers if you ever get here but for those of you who don't, keep thinking "I'll hit the brakes...blah, blah, stinkin blah." Makes me laugh. Here's the dope. When I'm defensive with an offensive student in my control zone with good fusalage alignment I'll use that maneuver (idle, boards out, nose up) to teach him to control closure with some lag maneuver of his own, preferably in the vertical. This way he maintains an offensive position and an energy advantage as well. As for me, I've just wasted all my energy trying to get him to overshoot, which, a knucklehead non BFM aware bandit might do. But an energy excursion of this type will get you killed with anyone who knows how to fight. History is full of great stories (like Top Gun) but you boys and girls are going to deal with new threats using new tactics. Wish I could start over and do it again. Any questions?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
Originally posted by BeanFighter
"Any questions?"
Yep ...

Originally posted by BeanFighter
"I'll teach you CORRECT BFM maneuvers if you ever get here ... When I'm defensive with an offensive student in my control zone with good fusalage alignment I'll use that maneuver (idle, boards out, nose up) to teach him to control closure with some lag maneuver of his own, preferably in the vertical...."
using the boards during ACM at the K-Rock are against the ACM training rules ...

semper fidelis

BeanFighter

pilot
From memory, since I'm not in the brief room.
ACM training rules for "the K-Rock":
1. Brief out of control flight, engine stall procedures, and currency.
2. Face to face brief for all maneuvers with all participants.
3. All A/C must have operable UHF and ICS and monitor guard.
4. G-warm required prior to ACM.
5. CONFIGURATION CHANGES OTHER THAN SPEEDBRAKES NOT AUTHORIZED.
6. Always assume the other A/C doesn't see you.
7. If lost sight......
8. Up sun aircraft responsible for safe sep.....
9. 500' bubble around all A/C.
10. No blind lead turns.
11. Maintain established trend on head to head pass.
12. Low A/C in the flats....
13. Min range for guns ia 1000'...
14. In a descending fight...
15. Anyone can call KIO.... this goes on for another 10 lines or so...

Jarhead, O-man, any questions?

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
guess they changed in the last year since i was there ... it was no configuration changes at all

do me a favor and confirm that when you get to the briefing room tomorrow (or this week)

semper fi

Status
Not open for further replies.