• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F/A-18A-F and EA-18G Engineering Opportunities in San Diego

maxsonic

Nothin' from nothin', but...,

Even with San Diego locality pay that is low for somebody with structural analysis experience. Especially if it includes composites.

Bert is spot on, and I agree 100%...we do have a retention challenge that we're working hard to fix, by getting Leadership authorization for more GS-13 Level Engineering promotional opportunities. It's difficult to retain NAVAIR's best and brightest civilian aerospace engineers on GS-12 pay...regardless of location or locality pay. Our retention challenge for highly specialized and experienced aerospace engineers is very similar to retaining active duty JO pilots or highly experienced special operators...and how do we keep them on Active Duty? Retention Incentives! It's something I've been working with Senior Leadership, and hope to get in place this year...otherwise, we lose our highly trained talent to higher paying defense contractors and consultants. Locally, I compete with Northrop Grumman, General Atomics Aeronautical Systems, and United Technologies Corp for engineering talent. On the bright side, the crew I work with are highly dedicated to the F/A-18A-D, F/A-18E/F & EA-18G sustainment mission. Plus, we get to work at North Island in Coronado...how cool is that?

Is there a Virginia Beach counterpart for this gig?

Not so much. We do have a few limited engineering positions located on-site at the FRC "Level II" (Intermediate Maintenance) Sites (i.e Oceana, Whidbey, Lemoore, Miramar), however, as indicated by other AWs above, the vast majority are located at the FRC Level 3 (Depot Maintenance) Sites (Cherry Point, JAX, North Island, Atsugi). By far, most engineering opportunities supporting the F/A-18 and EA-18G community are located at NAVAIR PAX, FRCSW NI, FRCSE JAX, and FRCWP Atsugi, JA.

Appreciate the dialog...if you know of any graduating, "transitioning veteran, " or experienced Aero / Mechanical engineers who might be interested, please send me a PM...I'll reply with my navy.mil email address for follow up.

MAX

Last edited:

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I've only very rarely seen any GS jobs to offer competitive pay for the skills and experience they require, particularly if AD military had any hand in writing the requirements. There's a tendency to look at the "paygrade equivalent" (i.e., "This job will be doing work that would be done by an O-3, therefore this will be a GS-11")...but topped out at GS-11 - because the active duty guys in the same job were LTs or LCDRs - and that doesn't go far in Hawaii. "...just what I've seen with other federal positions.

I guess we are fortunate where I work and a few other places I work with then because GS-13 was the expected grade to start as a senior O-3 or a junior O-4, being in DC also helps though. Things have changed only recently but not too much, usually just a lot tougher to get in.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Man, even GS-13 is a big time pay cut for an O-3. My take home in one of the lowest BAH areas of the country is more than step1 GS-13 gross pay. Granted the scales probably don't include other pays (if there are any) but anyway....

azguy

None
I guess we are fortunate where I work and a few other places I work with then because GS-13 was the expected grade to start as a senior O-3 or a junior O-4, being in DC also helps though.

Yep. It seems like all the -13s I have met in the real Navy (fleet/bases) are senior, seasoned guys...and GS-14s are the big boss man. In DC, those grades are much less of a big deal and a LT with 2-3 years in the office can easily get out and slide right into a -13 gig. GS-11 is a big pay cut for a JO.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Man, even GS-13 is a big time pay cut for an O-3. My take home in one of the lowest BAH areas of the country is more than step1 GS-13 gross pay. Granted the scales probably don't include other pays (if there are any) but anyway....

Not really, they will often equal your pay and with the locality pay that will make things about equal for gross pay. Net pay is another story after a bigger chunk taken out for taxes, health care, and TSP etc. Pretty good deal all things considered.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Not really, they will often equal your pay and with the locality pay that will make things about equal for gross pay. Net pay is another story after a bigger chunk taken out for taxes, health care, and TSP etc. Pretty good deal all things considered.

Makes sense

exNavyOffRec

Yep. It seems like all the -13s I have met in the real Navy (fleet/bases) are senior, seasoned guys...and GS-14s are the big boss man. In DC, those grades are much less of a big deal and a LT with 2-3 years in the office can easily get out and slide right into a -13 gig. GS-11 is a big pay cut for a JO.

I always thought the gov't employees made big bucks, couldn't figure out why many people I knew that left balked at getting a GS job until I started job hunting, then I got it, my just out of the USN job pays as much as a mid GS 12/beginning GS 13 and that includes locality pay, a fellow CPO I know just started his job (non tech) and he is getting paid equivalent to a mid GS 15.

I don't think people go for GS jobs for the pay, it might be for all the other perks that go with it.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
I don't think people go for GS jobs for the pay, it might be for all the other perks that go with it.
Yeah, like it's nearly impossible to get laid off or fired.

And when the gov't shuts down for a month they pay you for not working...

Uncle Fester

Robot Pimp
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, like it's nearly impossible to get laid off or fired.

And when the gov't shuts down for a month they pay you for not working...

Neither is true. It's more difficult to get fired than a regular corporate job - you're entitled to hearings and a review process, the boss just can't walk in and say 'clean out your desk' - but 'nearly impossible' isn't the case.

And furloughed employees are not guaranteed pay during a shutdown. It took congressional action to get their back pay reinstated, and everyone knows how easy and smooth a process that is. It took several months to get that bill passed and the money distributed after the latest fiasco.

RHINOWSO

"Yeah, we are going to need to see that one again"
None
But the truth is those GS were back paid for not working. Pay for not working. Sounds nice.

And compared to a real civilian job, it is practically impossible to lose a GS job. Civilian job, your boss can walk in and fire you on the spot for no reason / lay you off when the contract gets pulled - GS, it would take months at best to maybe lose your job, all the while you are getting paid... And if your job position goes away, they give you another on - maybe somewhere else, but they try really hard to.

And I know the GS books have these "hearings", and "reviews", and all that, but in my experience working in a AD command with GS support, the effort required to get rid of some of the leeches we had wasn't worth it. Especially if you add in any 'extenuating factors' on that person's behalf. As long as they showed up when they were supposed to, pretended to color their coloring books, got some work done eventually, there was no way they were getting fired.

It's like having a union in the command. Maybe its different when it's all GS, or the professional types. But the admin types? Forget about it.

exNavyOffRec

Neither is true. It's more difficult to get fired than a regular corporate job - you're entitled to hearings and a review process, the boss just can't walk in and say 'clean out your desk' - but 'nearly impossible' isn't the case.

And furloughed employees are not guaranteed pay during a shutdown. It took congressional action to get their back pay reinstated, and everyone knows how easy and smooth a process that is. It took several months to get that bill passed and the money distributed after the latest fiasco.

I have seen more people let go since I have been a civilian than I ever did when I worked around GS workers, each state has different rules but I am in a state where they can walk in and just let you go, I have seen a few due to performance and they were given the opportunity to change, and I have seen several due to "reorganization".

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But the truth is those GS were back paid for not working. Pay for not working. Sounds nice.

Kind of like the A-Pool?
And compared to a real civilian job, it is practically impossible to lose a GS job. Civilian job, your boss can walk in and fire you on the spot for no reason / lay you off when the contract gets pulled - GS, it would take months at best to maybe lose your job, all the while you are getting paid...

For very good reason there it is a little harder firing civil servants, before civil service protections were in place politics was often a factor in hiring and firing. That was a long time ago but in todays political environment it is nice to know politics doesn't come into play with hiring and firing decisions for the civil service, this especially comes into play for professionals whose work impacts politically sensitive issues.

And I know the GS books have these "hearings", and "reviews", and all that, but in my experience working in a AD command with GS support, the effort required to get rid of some of the leeches we had wasn't worth it. Especially if you add in any 'extenuating factors' on that person's behalf. As long as they showed up when they were supposed to, pretended to color their coloring books, got some work done eventually, there was no way they were getting fired.

So your command was too lazy to put forth the effort to get rid of some 'leeches'? Who exactly is to blame then?

It's like having a union in the command. Maybe its different when it's all GS, or the professional types. But the admin types? Forget about it.

A weak point of a mixed civilian-military command, a lack of knowledge when it comes to getting GS folks fired. If it is a big enough issue though the folks in charge need to research and find out how to fix the problem, it takes a little work but it isn't rocket science.

And finally, the civil service ≠ PSD.

maxsonic

Incorrect. I, and hundreds of thousands of DoD civilian employees, were not paid for the days we were furloughed during the 2013 sequestration (in my case, 8 furlough days)

MAX