• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

TexasFight

D_rob and I saw the first "C" being built while on a tour of the LM Ft Worth plant last winter, en route to Meridian. Cool jet, and that plant has probably more expensive shit per square inch than anything else I can think of.

A few of us got to go tour the plant a couple weeks ago and it was a great experience. It was awesome to be able to see some of the first C's on the assembly line - it's a sweet jet.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
My roommate here at TBS was told that he was one of the last Marine SNFOs to go through the BOC. MCRC isn't recruiting anymore....
He's full of shit & doesn't know what he's talking about ... tell him to quit being a boot & stop passing bad gouge.

the Marine Corps will be flying F/A-18D's & Prowlers for another 8-10 years... you can't tell me that they wont be making any more WSO's/NFO's during that timeframe...

SF

JSnake

My roommate here at TBS was told that he was one of the last Marine SNFOs to go through the BOC. MCRC isn't recruiting anymore....

I can actually vouch for that. I talked to a Marine recruiter a few months ago about going thru PLC for a NFO contract. He told me they were phasing out Marine NFOs and are no longer recruiting Marine NFOs.

Brett327

None
Super Moderator
Contributor

That's utter and complete BS. If the Marine Prowlers are going to be around for another 9 years, you can't not have CAT I influx to fleet squadrons. It just doesn't work that way. Navy Prowlers are < 4 years from going away and they're still churing out CAT Is as they always have.

Brett

insanebikerboy

Internet killed the television star
pilot
None
Contributor
There is no plan to do so right now. It may come later but right now the only thing it would do is add to the development costs, which would be a bad thing.

Are they gonna make two seat variants for training? I was under the impression that Hornet guys all train in the two seat version to start and then select single or dual seat near the end of the rag?

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Are they gonna make two seat variants for training? I was under the impression that Hornet guys all train in the two seat version to start and then select single or dual seat near the end of the rag?

Like the F-22, there are no plans to make a two seat version right now. That is not to say it won't happen, but there is nothing planned right now.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yes it will. Not as easy to read as the MV-22 transition, but if you dig into the FY09 Marine Aviation plan, you'll see that they'll be simultaneously be transitioning D's and AV-8s, then moving onto C's.

Don't quote me on this, but I do believe the first squadrons that will be getting the F-35 for the corps will be stationed in Yuma. As I know it right now VMFA-332 "Moonlighters" will be the first F-35B squadron, then VMFA-112 at some later time. They have been putting the projected F-35 squadrons into 'cadre' status to be reactivated in the future once the planes get here. Cherry Point won't be getting them until 2016, Miramar before them, and Yuma first. This was all in an article in Naval Aviation magazine and 'Approach' magazine as well.

The authoritative source is the Marine Aviation Plan. Articles in Naval Aviation News and/or Approach are well and good, but the MAP is much more detailed and is the playbook that is being executed. "Phrog" even provided the link so you can download it to your computer.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Cool "Ocean Blue" paintjob. I thought for sure they'd make them gray. Oh well.

It looks to be the lighting that is making it blue and that the aircraft still has the green 'primer', not a finished paint job.