• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
That is what it means to be a combat aviator ;).....I liked the bit on how they turned the radars off at shift change....gotta love the Arab work ethic.

Nothing has changed. Sometimes we just ignored Kuwait center all together and cut straight to Ali.

That is what it means to be a combat aviator ;)....

Experience that a lot in the S-3 doing Sea Donkey?
Sorry... couldn't help it :)

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I do know a few S-3 types that do have green ink time though.

And one driver who took out a boat with a drop tank in Desert Storm. He was an absolute wild man so nobody was surprised when they heard it happened. We all knew it had to be him.

Single Seat

Average member
pilot
None
Funny...haha.....I logged about 260 hours of Sea Donkey......none of which is Green.

PS-no gas for you!

So you're going back to S-3's? Come on, lighten up. 260 hours of Sea Donkey is like two months of cruise right? Whad you do the rest of the time?

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
So you're going back to S-3's? Come on, lighten up. 260 hours of Sea Donkey is like two months of cruise right? Whad you do the rest of the time?
Going some flavor of Hornet. I logged about 350 hours total that cruise. The other time was mission tanking, yoyo-ing, getting black line violations, and stuff that cannot be discussed here.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Sea Donkey? Green Ink?
Operation Sea Dragon II.....Google it.
Green ink-"combat" flight time indicated in your logbook by making the entry in green ink(typically used to figure out air medal points;green ink for flying any mission in a combat zone including cargo, radar, bomb, maratime patrol, logistics.....more points toward air medal for employing weapon or getting shot at.......of course there are rules, caveots, and regulations that are more official than my pre Jags/Pats game answer)

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Reminds me of the 8 plane low level over Jordan and Saudi Arabia that struck the nuclear reactor in Bagdad in '81. The Military Channel had a nice documentary about it. The Israelis trained for some time prior to the actual mission. They did not however train to or test the jettison of the drop tanks with the bombs loaded. Needless to say, they were safely jettisoned over Saudi, all 8 jets reached the target, and all 8 jets RTB'ed to Israel. Now I wonder if they still would need drops to hit Bushere? ;)

I saw that show. Great story about a completely successful and important mission. It was also interesting to note that one of the pilots on that mission was Colonel Ilan Ramon, the astronaut who died on Columbia.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
But if you can stand the weight... you can take take the conformal AND the drop tanks. Hooray gas!

Happens all the time

f15e_08.jpg