• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

raptor10

Philosoraptor
Contributor

And there's your problem...

The last time I went to that website I was in the 8th grade... hey, it was the only place with info on the Aurora! (former X-files geek:D)

...[SIZE=-2]Given typical contractor/service lies viz a viz continuing systems bloat,[/SIZE]...
Plus anybody who uses vis a viz in any context is a tool... unless your pointing out that use viz a viz commentary... so to speak :D

ftrooper

pilot
A lot of armchair quarterbacking (once again) by those who don't know shit. Nice real-sounding but not exactly accurate numbers. The JSF isn't the end all-be-all fighter plane, but it'll work, and it'll work a lot better than it's being given credit. The alternative is...what? Buy a less capable airplane than we have now (the foriegn jobs, for all their hype) or wait till the wings fall off the Hornets/ Vipers/ Harriers, etc? Legacy Hornet production lines been closed since 1997. While the Block 60 Viper's impressive, there's not much growth left there. JSF should still be viable long after the legacy jets, even in their most modified and updated forms, are no longer survivable. Besides that, the average age of a US fighter/ attack type aircraft is just plain getting old, and they have to be replaced, or else they'll start falling apart (re the Missouri F-15 from 2 months ago...)

ftrooper

pilot
For the record, I was commenting on the tool from the abovetopsecret thread that White Sox Nation Posted, not Squeeze or Raptor, whom I agree with.

whitesoxnation

pilot
Contributor
And there's your problem...

The last time I went to that website I was in the 8th grade... hey, it was the only place with info on the Aurora! (former X-files geek:D)

I was googling F-35 vs. Harrier's stovl capabilities and thats what came up.

I didn't understand the majority of the systems he was talking about so wanted to get some legit opinions as opposed to whoever typed that up (sounded like a disgruntled Boeing employee to me)

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
It's just a hunch, but I'd guess that the writer is an F-16 pilot who went to either EWS or USMC C&S. Although a lot of what he wrote is horseshit, a lot of it sounds like he's spouting OMFTS and/or STOM doctrine. He's not a total idiot, but I disagree with his final analysis.

Reading the rest of that thread was entertaining. There are some majorly uninformed folks on that site who spout unlimited idiotic/dorky "gouge".

I would also assume that there's a dungeons and dragons meeting somewhere that's missing several of their dungeon masters.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
This was posted on www.abovetopsecret.com , I don't know what 90% of the acronyms mean, but I was wondering if this person's points were legit

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread209322/pg1

Conclusion: That man has no fucking idea what he is talking about. This is in addition to a few completely false statements about the Harrier. He writes about aviation like some of those, for lack of a better word, "Mall Ninjas" talk about weapons.

The post in question was made by "ch1466" (AKA the notorious "Kurt Plummer") who is infamous on numerous websites for long diatribes about what's wrong with various aircraft. As Squeeze attests, he doesn't always get it right, but wraps his dissertations in many acros and buzzwords. He has been banned from many sites for a host of reasons (usually someone in the know challenges him and then he typically moves on to another site and keeps on pontificating; sometimes under a different moniker, but always the same MO). A search search reveals plenty of material to look at from many, many sites. Here's his "humble" opinion on STOVL.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
A lot of armchair quarterbacking (once again) by those who don't know shit. Nice real-sounding but not exactly accurate numbers. The JSF isn't the end all-be-all fighter plane, but it'll work, and it'll work a lot better than it's being given credit. The alternative is...what? Buy a less capable airplane than we have now (the foriegn jobs, for all their hype) or wait till the wings fall off the Hornets/ Vipers/ Harriers, etc? Legacy Hornet production lines been closed since 1997. While the Block 60 Viper's impressive, there's not much growth left there. JSF should still be viable long after the legacy jets, even in their most modified and updated forms, are no longer survivable. Besides that, the average age of a US fighter/ attack type aircraft is just plain getting old, and they have to be replaced, or else they'll start falling apart (re the Missouri F-15 from 2 months ago...)

Here's what he has to say about the Hornet and carrier ops (and model kits of it).

Malo83

Keep the Faith
SOG - you really need to learn how to do a little searching for yourself. Both within the site and on the internet in general.

You say you want to be an officer. Officers use initiative. They make an effort to find the answers before asking others the question.

:icon_lol::rolleyes:

SemperGumbi

Just a B guy.
pilot
Marines will need to replace their EA-6Bs at some point and they have given the stiff arm to anything Super hornet related.

Unless the USMC can realize that pesky long-term goal of getting out of the EA game, and hand it over to the AF and Navy.

However, I think an EA varient of the '35 would be dope. At a JSF briefing we all pressed a JSF rep for info about the feasibility of that program. "No comment." "We are looking at all kinds of possible roles for this platform." etc.

I think....wait, I will just cut that off right there instead of falling into the speculation trap.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I will just cut that off right there instead of falling into the speculation trap.

Why bother, just ask Kurt!! I'm sure he's already written a jillion words on it already on some forum somewhere.....

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Conformal tanks for my friends...JSF style

The Israelis have expressed interest in adding conformal tanks to their F-35 Lightning II aircraft

Israeli conformal tanks installed on their F-16 variant

israel%20f-16.JPG

usmarinemike

Solidly part of the 42%.
pilot
Contributor
"Israel's air force recently completed the design of a unique F-35 version optimised for its mission requirements..."

They don't need them for CAPs over their mini-country. They must want to reach out and touch someone.

FLYTPAY

Pro-Rec Fighter Pilot
pilot
None
Reminds me of the 8 plane low level over Jordan and Saudi Arabia that struck the nuclear reactor in Bagdad in '81. The Military Channel had a nice documentary about it. The Israelis trained for some time prior to the actual mission. They did not however train to or test the jettison of the drop tanks with the bombs loaded. Needless to say, they were safely jettisoned over Saudi, all 8 jets reached the target, and all 8 jets RTB'ed to Israel. Now I wonder if they still would need drops to hit Bushere? ;)