• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

F-35B/C Lightning II (Joint Strike Fighter)

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
Interesting. Did Israel add conformal tanks to its two seat F-16s or its one seaters?? By the way, anybody know what dictates wether you fly a one seater or a two seater?
Rangers up by 2 over Canadiens.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Interesting. Did Israel add conformal tanks to its two seat F-16s or its one seaters?? By the way, anybody know what dictates wether you fly a one seater or a two seater?

Go here and you'll everything you are looking for about Israeli F-16s.
F-16I_03.jpg

badger16

None
F-16I_03.jpg

Is it just me or does the higher the variant = the sexier the aircraft? At least when it comes to the Viper and the Scooter. The more avionics they throw on the center line the better it looks. Maybe I do like fat chicks...just in airplane form...

That may just be the 100+ oz of Fat tire talking (Packer playoff WIN!!!) but I want to know who else agrees with me?

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Is it just me or does the higher the variant = the sexier the aircraft? At least when it comes to the Viper and the Scooter. The more avionics they throw on the center line the better it looks. Maybe I do like fat chicks...just in airplane form...

John Boyd would roll over in his grave if he heard that!

Want2flyNow

I said over-easy!!!!!!
F-16I_03.jpg

Thanks. Goodsite. I do not mind the conformal fuel tanks, but i don't like the spine . Its a little boxy. I am surprised the US variants don't have the conformal tanks. I don't know how much drop tanks cost, but I'd imagine the price of dropping them adds up after a while.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
I don't know how much drop tanks cost, but I'd imagine the price of dropping them adds up after a while.

"Drop tanks" are rarely dropped in reality. Emergencies are about the only reason. A hornet guy dropped his trying to chase down a MiG-25 just before the start of OIF-1, but that's the only tactical use of them that I've ever seen. It's not like we shit them off when they're empty like the P-51s in WWII.

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
The answer, as usual, is money. Developing these tanks would be expensive. The reality of the current situation is that you don't need an ass-ton of ordnance on the wings to accomplish the mission, so losing two hard points to extend TOS is a worthwhile trade. You only need to drop one bomb to kill a target now, so bringing 2 plus a gun is usually more than you need anyway.

Future conflicts? Maybe so. The bottom line is (for a strike) you might need lots of weapons, but you probably won't need that much TOS. For XCAS,you'll either need more TOS and less bombs (lots of NTISR and not much dropping), or you'll be dropping so much that TOS isn't much of a factor anyway.

Bottom line is, it would be a "nice to have", but we don't get money for that kind of stuff in DoN.

mmx1

Woof!
pilot
Contributor
Furthermore, we have tankers and air superiority. The Israelis use conformal tanks to enable them to reach out and touch someone without having to stage tankers over Syria.

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
"Drop tanks" are rarely dropped in reality. Emergencies are about the only reason. A hornet guy dropped his trying to chase down a MiG-25 just before the start of OIF-1, but that's the only tactical use of them that I've ever seen. It's not like we shit them off when they're empty like the P-51s in WWII.

But our friends in blue have done so...totally different doctrine

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Furthermore, we have tankers and air superiority. The Israelis use conformal tanks to enable them to reach out and touch someone without having to stage tankers over Syria.

You obviously did not look at the map...they didn't go anywhere near Syria

HeyJoe

Fly Navy! ...or USMC
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I was pulling a name out of the hat and not referring specifically to Osirak.

You're still not understanding how they fly missions. They have gone a long way to the west, south and east to tap their adversaries, but they would never put tankers over the Syrian IADS. Look at the map and see what they do to avoid going near Syria. Wrong name to pull out of a hat.