• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f-15 fire/ ejection

BACONATOR

pilot
Contributor
Speaking of not understanding systems, I love it when I'm in the pits in a jet that is slow to take on gas. Inevitably the grapes ask me to put out the probe, and then knowingly nod like it fixed the problem, while I am sitting there watching the Fuel and FQTY pages and nothing has changed at all. Lot X it works, but Lot XX and it isn't even relevant.....sidebar obviously, but that just made me think of the other day

Meh, it's the nature of troubleshooting, no matter what T/M/S... in our birds, our EGIs (In S/R models, we have "embedded GPS/INS instead of the legacy doppler systems) OFTEN have trouble aligning. Inevitably, we try every trick-fuck in the BOOK.... BEFORE we call a shooter. So then we call out AVI, and they (sometimes without asking if WE tried it) try every JV troubleshooting trick they can think of, when we say... yes we TRIED that; it still doesn't work. Or they'll use the trick-fuck we KNOW makes it SHOW aligned (HNAV), but if you look at the NAV page, the satellite acquisition is SHIT, despite what it says. I even had an AVI rep tell me "your EGI is HNAV, sir. What's the problem?". Yeah, except my HDG is all Xs! Even with MX, communication is key. The more they know, the more they can help you.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
We had a lot of problems with the GPS when it was first installed in the SH-60F/HH-60H. If you didn't power down the avionics correctly on shutdown, it would take forever for the GPS to align itself, because their was some kind of bug with the almanac data not knowing where to start looking in the GPS constellation during intialization. em,We had some procedures (manually entering a LAT/LONG comes to mind) and I believe that there were some software changes to fix the problem, but that was almost <gulp> 20 years ago!
On the airplane I fly now (DASH-8-400Q), we have a little glitch that requires us to power down all our displays during the securing checklist vs. leaving them on and turning off the power...This was the procedure until they found out that after 24 hours of cumulative use the PFD/MFDs and ED will turn themselves OFF!!! Not good on ILS to mins!

scoolbubba

Brett327 gargles ballsacks
pilot
Contributor
We have a bunch of notes similar to that. Powering down displays by pulling CBs vice just cutting the power to the plane. Supposedly extends the life of the display. Some of it is written in the maintenance books, but not in NATOPs; some of it is institutional gouge that is passed down from Moses, who begat Jay Beasley, who begat.....

Not sure how cutting power at a CB is any less destructive (and we don't use circuit breakers like switches, unless we're using them like a switch) but then again, I just work here.

Alpha_Echo_606

Does not play well with others!™
Contributor
We have a bunch of notes similar to that. Powering down displays by pulling CBs vice just cutting the power to the plane. Supposedly extends the life of the display. Some of it is written in the maintenance books, but not in NATOPs; some of it is institutional gouge that is passed down from Moses, who begat Jay Beasley, who begat.....

Not sure how cutting power at a CB is any less destructive (and we don't use circuit breakers like switches, unless we're using them like a switch) but then again, I just work here.

The ADDUs will remain powered unless you pull the CBs. That and the Multifunctional Display Units are very temperamental, that’s a nice way of saying it's a piece of crap. :icon_wink

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Meh, it's the nature of troubleshooting, no matter what T/M/S... in our birds, our EGIs (In S/R models, we have "embedded GPS/INS instead of the legacy doppler systems) OFTEN have trouble aligning. Inevitably, we try every trick-fuck in the BOOK.... BEFORE we call a shooter. So then we call out AVI, and they (sometimes without asking if WE tried it) try every JV troubleshooting trick they can think of, when we say... yes we TRIED that; it still doesn't work. Or they'll use the trick-fuck we KNOW makes it SHOW aligned (HNAV), but if you look at the NAV page, the satellite acquisition is SHIT, despite what it says. I even had an AVI rep tell me "your EGI is HNAV, sir. What's the problem?". Yeah, except my HDG is all Xs! Even with MX, communication is key. The more they know, the more they can help you.

Meh, even with "comms", half the time they have no clue beyond pulling CB's and cycling gens. For EVERYTHING. That being said, there are some who truly do know tricks we don't already have up our sleeve. As for the pits thing, no comms w/ grapes out there normally, so it generally isn't worth my time to write on a piece of paper "that doesn't work in a C/D" and hold it up to the canopy....