• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f-15 fire/ ejection

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
"yellow stripes on some hard points"...is this helo slang? Stupid platform specific slang is a huge pet peve of mine. "Hit him with heaters, no slammers, bent gadget, deadeye, tumbleweed, stupenza" (I made that last one up) just say "down radar" --same syllables and everyone understands you. Our job is cool enough. We don't need to invent World of Warcraft esque slang to make ourselves seem cool.

you lost me at the have quick check bro

Semper Jump Jet

Ninja smoke...POOF.
pilot
"yellow stripes on some hard points"...is this helo slang? Stupid platform specific slang is a huge pet peve of mine. "Hit him with heaters, no slammers, bent gadget, deadeye, tumbleweed, stupenza" (I made that last one up) just say "down radar" --same syllables and everyone understands you. Our job is cool enough. We don't need to invent World of Warcraft esque slang to make ourselves seem cool.

Yeah, I hate comm brevity too. I prefer people to key the mic, think, stammer, then give me a long garbled sentence describing the problem they have, or maybe just how they're feeling at that particular moment.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Yeah, I hate comm brevity too. I prefer people to key the mic, think, stammer, then give me a long garbled sentence describing the problem they have, or maybe just how they're feeling at that particular moment.

So basically every time a shitter pilot talks on the radio???

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
So you guys are going to tell me "bent gadget" makes more sense, and is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than "radar inop?" Mind you, these aren't secret terms either, which would maybe make sense.

I just counted on my fingers (I am a Marine, mind you), and they differ by only 1 syllable.

Comm brevity is great, and I am all for it. What is stupid is us making up all kinds of random, non NATO code words for what things are. Few months ago I was reading some FWT gouge (yes, I did die by it... a few times) and saw all this stuff about "slammers" in it. What is a slammer I thought to myself? Its not officially anything, just what some dude thought would be cool to nickname an AMRAAM.

When the same missle shows up as "AC" at the bottom of my HUD, is officially called an AIM-120C, is also called the AMRAAM, is called "fox-3" on the radio, and some other doosh bag wants to start nicknaming them slammers... then I think that is enough cuteness.

Something like "mickey" on the other hand is very succinct and functions great. "Mickey" is unique, there is no other slang or shorter way to say "My GPS is not working so I need you to transmit on Havequick so that my system can get a good time hack and let me communicate with you on our special frequency.

Don't make me post the Lt. Beltbuckle "Alone and Unafraid" video to prove my point fellas.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
If you are asking for a Mickey, you are way more motivated about HQ/KY checks than I am :)

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
So you guys are going to tell me "bent gadget" makes more sense, and is SIGNIFICANTLY shorter than "radar inop?" Mind you, these aren't secret terms either, which would maybe make sense.

I just counted on my fingers (I am a Marine, mind you), and they differ by only 1 syllable.

Comm brevity is great, and I am all for it. What is stupid is us making up all kinds of random, non NATO code words for what things are. Few months ago I was reading some FWT gouge (yes, I did die by it... a few times) and saw all this stuff about "slammers" in it. What is a slammer I thought to myself? Its not officially anything, just what some dude thought would be cool to nickname an AMRAAM.

When the same missle shows up as "AC" at the bottom of my HUD, is officially called an AIM-120C, is also called the AMRAAM, is called "fox-3" on the radio, and some other doosh bag wants to start nicknaming them slammers... then I think that is enough cuteness.

Something like "mickey" on the other hand is very succinct and functions great. "Mickey" is unique, there is no other slang or shorter way to say "My GPS is not working so I need you to transmit on Havequick so that my system can get a good time hack and let me communicate with you on our special frequency.

Don't make me post the Lt. Beltbuckle "Alone and Unafraid" video to prove my point fellas.

Wait, someone decided slammer would be a good code for AMRAAM, when we also got SLAM-ER in the inventory? Below in headwork.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None

If you want, you can get in a time machine to the early 90s and tell the guys shooting down MiGs with it in Desert Storm to call it by it's correct name instead of a nickname.

Then, maybe it won't catch on and you won't be annoyed by it 20 years later.

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Wait, someone decided slammer would be a good code for AMRAAM, when we also got SLAM-ER in the inventory? Below in headwork.

Well, since the nickname preceded the SLAM-ER by about a decade, I think you'd have a tough argument for "below in headwork"....but, suit yourself.

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
That's just sad. It takes about 15 seconds to set up.

TRST is 99% of the time the only thing I need, and I think a lot of times people who ask for mickeys just don't understand the system. But yeah, for that 1% of the time that I can't do it without one, I am being lazy.....I have yet to see more than 2 jets have HQ/KY at check-in anyway though, so it is kind of a waste of my time while I am trying to troubleshoot like 5 different things in the line, since more than likely it will be a moot point by the time I get to marshall.

a_m

Still learning how much I don't know.
None
TRST is 99% of the time the only thing I need, and I think a lot of times people who ask for mickeys just don't understand the system. But yeah, for that 1% of the time that I can't do it without one, I am being lazy.....I have yet to see more than 2 jets have HQ/KY at check-in anyway though, so it is kind of a waste of my time while I am trying to troubleshoot like 5 different things in the line, since more than likely it will be a moot point by the time I get to marshall.

Touche

MIDNJAC

is clara ship
pilot
Speaking of not understanding systems, I love it when I'm in the pits in a jet that is slow to take on gas. Inevitably the grapes ask me to put out the probe, and then knowingly nod like it fixed the problem, while I am sitting there watching the Fuel and FQTY pages and nothing has changed at all. Lot X it works, but Lot XX and it isn't even relevant.....sidebar obviously, but that just made me think of the other day

Harrier Dude

Living the dream
Speaking of not understanding systems, I love it when I'm in the pits in a jet that is slow to take on gas. Inevitably the grapes ask me to put out the probe, and then knowingly nod like it fixed the problem, while I am sitting there watching the Fuel and FQTY pages and nothing has changed at all. Lot X it works, but Lot XX and it isn't even relevant.....sidebar obviously, but that just made me think of the other day

Same thing in the AV-8B. I've even been forced to park and shut down with the probe out to "help it take gas". Yeah......it doesn't work like that.