• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

f-15 fire/ ejection

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
Forgive me if I sounded like I was trying to "Monday Morning QB" the incident pilot. I totally agree that is difficult to judge another pilot who had to make many decisions under a lot of stress in a highly dynamic environment. I was involved in a Class "A" in an SH-60F, and everything happened so quickly that there was barely enough time to acknowledge the fact, "I can't believe this happening" till I was egressing the aircraft post-crash. I am an airline pilot now and also a CRM facilitator ( I served as an ACT facilitator in my last squadron ), and it is very interesting to analyze the chain of events that lead to an accident.
I think that the mishap pilot here responded the way he was trained and how his instincts told him was the perceived correct action. In the end, I believe that everyone was able to go home and drink a beer and that is the bottom-line.
As an aside, I would like to state how grateful I am to the service and example I had set for me by the Naval Aviators that I flew with.Many, if not most were larger than life to me both growing up and as a very young Naval Aircrewman having the adventure of a lifetime at-sea living Naval Aviation...

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
flying an unstable and not fully-configured approach.

In a the couple of hours that I have flying in the USAF fighter community, I've never heard the concept of "stabilized approach" ever taught, discussed, or briefed.

That is a concept that originated in early passenger jets based on the lag time in the throttle response of the old low bypass engines. The concept has carried through to many multiengine/multiplace/heavy aircraft, but is not really even a consideration in the fighter community.

pourts

former Marine F/A-18 pilot & FAC, current MBA stud
pilot
Completely agree assuming it's a clean bird w/o ordnance. However, throw some yellow stripes on some hard points and that's a different story.

"yellow stripes on some hard points"...is this helo slang? Stupid platform specific slang is a huge pet peve of mine. "Hit him with heaters, no slammers, bent gadget, deadeye, tumbleweed, stupenza" (I made that last one up) just say "down radar" --same syllables and everyone understands you. Our job is cool enough. We don't need to invent World of Warcraft esque slang to make ourselves seem cool.

pilot_man

Ex-Rhino driver
pilot
yellow stripes = live bombs. Hard points = where you put said bombs. This is not helo slang.

Kaman

Beech 1900 pilot's; "Fly it like you stole it"
In a the couple of hours that I have flying in the USAF fighter community, I've never heard the concept of "stabilized approach" ever taught, discussed, or briefed.

That is a concept that originated in early passenger jets based on the lag time in the throttle response of the old low bypass engines. The concept has carried through to many multiengine/multiplace/heavy aircraft, but is not really even a consideration in the fighter community.

My point was...Do you not approach and land EVERY airplane so that you are on-speed/configured/going to STOP in the available landing distance??? Whether you use the same terminology to describe flying a proper approach or not....In my experience I have NEVER seen either a USAF or USN/USMC fighter NOT make a "stabilized" approach to a landing using the procedures that are in the Dash-1 or NATOPS. By the way that is compliment to the fact that I think military trained pilots are FAR superior to any civilian trained pilot I have ever flown with.

jarhead

UAL CA; retired hinge
pilot
"yellow stripes on some hard points"...is this helo slang? Stupid platform specific slang is a huge pet peve of mine. "Hit him with heaters, no slammers, bent gadget, deadeye, tumbleweed, stupenza" (I made that last one up) just say "down radar" --same syllables and everyone understands you. Our job is cool enough. We don't need to invent World of Warcraft esque slang to make ourselves seem cool.
cone, sounds like your tumbleweed chuckle

yellow stripes = live bombs. Hard points = where you put said bombs. This is not helo slang.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
Stupid platform specific slang

In the fleet, we sometimes refer to this as using "PROWORDS", which, curiously enough, is not platform specific.

Silly us.

Jim123

DD-214 in hand and I'm gonna party like it's 1998
pilot
Prowords

One of my favorites is when the ship's TACAN is broken- "Father is sour on mother." At least that's the PG-rated version...

Other than alleviating boredom, the goal of saying stuff like that is to get the other guy to laugh on the radio.

Scoob

If you gotta problem, yo, I'll be part of it.
pilot
Contributor
One of my favorites is when the ship's TACAN is broken- "Father is sour on mother." At least that's the PG-rated version...

Other than alleviating boredom, the goal of saying stuff like that is to get the other guy to laugh on the radio.

The card of the day was always a good source for this, particularly if the guy who wrote the card is of the same mind, rather than just a baseball fan. Nothing cuts 3 am boredom like a "tactical" game of Mad Libs.

SynixMan

HKG Based Artificial Excrement Pilot
pilot
Contributor
Are these things we can pickup beforehand or are they "fleet lingo" aka a good way to a haze the new guy?

HackerF15E

Retired Strike Pig Driver
None
Stupid platform specific slang is a huge pet peve of mine. "Hit him with heaters, no slammers, bent gadget, deadeye, tumbleweed, stupenza" (I made that last one up) just say "down radar" --same syllables and everyone understands you. Our job is cool enough. We don't need to invent World of Warcraft esque slang to make ourselves seem cool.

Either that's "stupid platform slang", OR it's 3-1 approved Joint brevity comm.

Either "just to be cool", or to have specific agreed-upon words that have specific meanings which minimize air time in combat.

MasterBates

What about when the brevity code causes confusion and is longer than the actual problem?

"Bankroll 61 is Uniform Uniform Mike Bravo Sierra One Charlie Two Five, Pushing"

vs

"Bankroll 61 Pushing, Down SATCOM"

MasterBates

And before any Wizard gets up in my shit for "That's not the code for SATCOM, thats the code for the Dodecahexacoaxitron power module", I pulled the Sierra Code out of my ass. But they are all about that long.

CommodoreMid

Whateva! I do what I want!
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I once saw a card of the day with BALLS DEEP on it. I was dying to use it, but did not get the chance.