• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
I chuckled at this because it reminded me of the indoctrination portion of SERE. Like clockwork, as soon as the half-truths started to flow from the political officer, some 2nd Lt wanted to start arguing political theory. Dude, stop. He wants to get you to engage. Just sit on the floor and enjoy the 60 minutes of rest.

I think he might have been the same guy who complained about our intentionally poor workmanship when making the rock garden pretty. Seriously?

I was the asshole who pointed that out and got us all angrily kicked out of the Quonset hut. In my defense, I waited for about 45 minutes first while the smarter of us were resting and not engaging in the "discussion", but- dammit- I just couldn't stand the equivocating from our side any more.

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
That's very athletic reasoning. So you don't think his words set a poor example for others to emulate and take one step further (which Trump's followers never do, right?) Let's put the shoe on the other foot and see if it fits. What if Obama or Biden had said the same thing? Or Bush? Would you feel any differently? Be honest, because people excuse and equivocate a LOT of things Teflon Don does, based on not liking the opposition.

Trump is anything but nuanced. He's a walking sound-bite, and whatever policies of his I may have agreed with, the bad far outweighs the good. He's a prime example of how partisanship and privatization of political interests in this country have led to a colossal failure to select appropriate candidates. I'm not fan of the "opposing party" either, but long term, Trump is probably the best thing to happen to the Democratic party in a long time. Interesting, and somewhat alarming that they also can't seem to muster up a decent candidate for POTUS. Which again, points to them being two sides of the same coin. In the words of the Joker to Batman, "You complete me."

It's no longer about policy choices or accurate representation of the people. Hasn't been for a long time, unfortunately.
I don’t agree that he lacks nuance, I think in that example he purposely chose some of his words to avoid a direct call to action with regards to the General, but that’s where the nuance stops. I agree he’s driving American politics as a whole down a very bad path, and I think he is far from any reasonable person’s first choice as a president.

I very much agree with the two primary American political parties being two sides of the same coin. Two different flavors of crap that appeal to two different types of people.

Last edited:

Mos

None
I was the asshole who pointed that out and got us all angrily kicked out of the Quonset hut. In my defense, I waited for about 45 minutes first while the smarter of us were resting and not engaging in the "discussion", but- dammit- I just couldn't stand the equivocating from our side any more.
I guess there's always one in every class. I remember the guy that spoke out it mine. Entertaining moment in an otherwise not particularly enjoyable experience.

sevenhelmet

pilot
I don’t agree that he lacks nuance, I think in that example he purposely chose some of his words to avoid a direct call to action with regards to the General, but that’s where the nuance stops. I agree he’s driving American politics as a whole down a very bad path, and I think he is far from anybody reasonable person’s first choice as a president.

I very much agree with the two primary American political parties being two sides of the same coin. Two different flavors of crap that appeal to two different types of people.
I wrote a post, and thought better of it based on how political discussions tend to go on the internet (hence my deleted reply to which you took time to respond). Thanks for understanding what I was getting at there, and not taking my argument personally.

sevenhelmet

pilot
I guess there's always one in every class. I remember the guy that spoke out it mine. Entertaining moment in an otherwise not particularly enjoyable experience.
The debrief I got was that’s what you’re supposed to do. ?‍♂️

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I wrote a post, and thought better of it based on how political discussions tend to go on the internet (hence my deleted reply to which you took time to respond). Thanks for understanding what I was getting at there, and not taking my argument personally.
None taken. In the current state of modern political discourse (mostly the lack thereof), I try to be unbiased and reasonable, yet I have a lot of work to do in that regard. The sooner everybody can return to respectful discourse, the sooner we can all stop taking one step forward and two steps back politically.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I’m not sure a news outlet who characterizes the MAGA crowd as “the Vile MAGA plague” is one that needs to be given much credence.

Nothing wrong with calling out political rivals, or pointing out their bad behavior, but when the language the outlet uses is so obviously toxic and biased, it’s doing that organization
a disservice to their own credibility.

Normalizing hyperbolic characterizations is another problem we are seeing today.
Really, my point was to show the former president's post about the current CJCS.

No need to both sides the post.

Is it a hyperbolic characterization of the bat shit crazy social media post though? He's calling Milley traitorous...

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
The debrief I got was that’s what you’re supposed to do. ?‍♂️

I was going to ask what they said in the debrief. Did they give a reason? It's not like you're going to convince a political officer in a prison camp to rethink his ideals. Just seems like wasted energy and not a battle worth fighting, unless it's a means to another end.

Mos

None
I was going to ask what they said in the debrief. Did they give a reason? It's not like you're going to convince a political officer in a prison camp to rethink his ideals. Just seems like wasted energy and not a battle worth fighting, unless it's a means to another end.
This is pretty much what the instructors told us. I guess the thinking changed over time.

sevenhelmet

pilot
Yep, that’s it, exactly. Without getting into too much detail, I said something along the lines of “I don’t wish to discuss politics. May we please have some blankets and food?” And the political officer flipped out and put us back in detention.

Mos

None
Yep, that’s it, exactly. Without getting into too much detail, I said something along the lines of “I don’t wish to discuss politics. May we please have some blankets and food?” And the political officer flipped out and put us back in detention.
Oh, I misread your initial post. I thought you said you were actually engaging the PO on the political subject.

taxi1

pilot
I don’t agree that he lacks nuance, I think in that example he purposely chose some of his words to avoid a direct call to action with regards to the General...
I admire excellence in all of its forms, and he's a world class master of it.

"Many people are saying, good people, are saying he should be SHOT. Good people. They tell me to shoot him, but I say, 'no', we don't do that any more. We did when America was great and strong, and it can be great again. But now we don't. Sad."

Time spent talking is time spent not taking a beating?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
I admire excellence in all of its forms, and he's a world class master of it.

"Many people are saying, good people, are saying he should be SHOT. Good people. They tell me to shoot him, but I say, 'no', we don't do that any more. We did when America was great and strong, and it can be great again. But now we don't. Sad."

Time spent talking is time spent not taking a beating?

I don’t believe Trump is a master linguist, his word choice and phraseology comes across as childish and unpolished most of the time. He does, however seem to be good at saying things that resonate with and can be understood by the layman. Something that, in contrast to the polished, rehearsed manner of speaking that most politicians utilize is why he attracts all types of attention, good and bad.

He makes his own bed and should have to lay in it, and he is his own worst enemy, but I think that those who simply dismiss him as a complete fool don’t take the time to understand why people like him.

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
I don’t believe Trump is a master linguist, his word choice and phraseology comes across as childish and unpolished most of the time. He does, however seem to be good at saying things that resonate with and can be understood by the layman. Something that, in contrast to the polished, rehearsed manner of speaking that most politicians utilize is why he attracts all types of attention, good and bad.

He makes his own bed and should have to lay in it, and he is his own worst enemy, but I think that those who simply dismiss him as a complete fool don’t take the time to understand why people like him.
Whether people think he's a fool or not, his rhetoric is unhealthy for a democracy. What could have inspired this statement from a sitting congressman?

Example 1 of many. It's indefensible IMO.