• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Europe under extreme duress

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
Yup

When your philosophical opponent is going to destroy the world and cause the collapse of civilization as we know it, what action isn't justified? Fundamental right that can't be suspended? You'll thank us when its over.

Ah, yes. The ends justify the means (I'm looking at you New Mexico...)

Both sides are guilty of that one. I'm no poli-sci expert, but for the life of me, I can't figure a way back into reasonable territory with respect to politics.

I think we've blown it, big time, with the candidate selection process and ironclad partisanship. When private organizations control who gets put up for prominent public office, we have real problems.

Flash

SEVAL/ECMO
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Yeah, it's weird. There's a small? minority on the far right that somehow believe Putin is a defender of white Christian values. I don't truly understand it, but I think there are certain political/media/religious leaders who are to blame.

Unfortunately it is not as small a minority as it should be, with folks on the right favoring Putin over their domestic political opponents for a few years now.

Both sides are guilty of that one. I'm no poli-sci expert, but for the life of me, I can't figure a way back into reasonable territory with respect to politics.

While there are some examples on the left there are far more on the right in the last few years.

NoMoreMrNiceGuy

None
Ah, yes. The ends justify the means (I'm looking at you New Mexico...)

I think we've blown it, big time, with the candidate selection process and ironclad partisanship. When private organizations control who gets put up for prominent public office, we have real problems.

“The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money.” - Alexis de Tocqueville

sevenhelmet

Low calorie attack from the Heartland
pilot
While there are some examples on the left there are far more on the right in the last few years.

Debatable, but the left v. right infighting is exactly what perpetuates the problem, and widens the political divide amongst people who- in general- have more in common than not.

It's become a false dichotomy, in that both sides now represent the same coin of bigger government and more authoritarianism. The only difference is whose rights are they going to trample in their shameless pursuit of power over the people? Folks seem to align themselves based on which side impacts them less- never mind the affect it has on others, their rights don't matter (or worse, they advocate for taking away other Americans' rights). A most unhealthy attitude.

I think it's high time we return to government which actually represents people's interests and our freedom and individual agency (instead of defaulting to Big Daddy Gov coming to "rescue" us). It's almost like we should follow the Constitution, or something. JMO.

[/threadjack]

Last edited:

JTS11

pilot
Contributor
Unfortunately it is not as small a minority as it should be, with folks on the right favoring Putin over their domestic political opponents for a few years now.
I agree, and it's shit like this that just gets sloughed off and normalized that continues the race to the bottom. No "leaders" call this stuff out (among many other examples).

Randy Daytona

Cold War Relic
pilot
Super Moderator
I agree, and it's shit like this that just gets sloughed off and normalized that continues the race to the bottom. No "leaders" call this stuff out (among many other examples).

Resolute Square? I don’t have nearly as much time for politics (or anything else) with 2 little kids, but it certainly looked and sounded familiar. Sure enough, it is the same people from The Lincoln Project which ran into problems after it exploded onto the political scene a few years ago.

The New York Times (via The Seattle Times) had an interesting article on the organization:

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
it's been picked up by a lot of folks who apparently have a blind spot in their critical thinking skills, or have no idea what indoctrination looks like.

I chuckled at this because it reminded me of the indoctrination portion of SERE. Like clockwork, as soon as the half-truths started to flow from the political officer, some 2nd Lt wanted to start arguing political theory. Dude, stop. He wants to get you to engage. Just sit on the floor and enjoy the 60 minutes of rest.

I think he might have been the same guy who complained about our intentionally poor workmanship when making the rock garden pretty. Seriously?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor

I’m not sure a news outlet who characterizes the MAGA crowd as “the Vile MAGA plague” is one that needs to be given much credence.

Nothing wrong with calling out political rivals, or pointing out their bad behavior, but when the language the outlet uses is so obviously toxic and biased, it’s doing that organization
a disservice to their own credibility.

Normalizing hyperbolic characterizations is another problem we are seeing today.

taxi1

pilot
I’m not sure a news outlet who characterizes the MAGA crowd as “the Vile MAGA plague” is one that needs to be given much credence.
The post they quoted has been quoted by many other people, not all of who refer to a "Vile MAGA plague".

Your comment on a former and possibly future POTUS suggesting a retiring military commander deserves to be put to death?

FLGUY

“Technique only”
pilot
Contributor
The post they quoted has been quoted by many other people, not all of who refer to a "Vile MAGA plague".

Your comment on a former and possibly future POTUS suggesting a retiring military commander deserves to be put to death?
My critique is of the poster who characterized the MAGA crowd as “Vile MAGA plague”. There are plenty of people who like certain aspects of Trump, who also discard the aspects of him that they disagree with. It’s not all-or-nothing.

I also think DJTs post about the General is embarrassingly sensationalized and toxic. But there is also a bit of nuance between saying “This type of behavior in the past has been punishable by death” and saying “We should put this person to death”. One is a call to action, the other is an inference about a very heinous punishment that is unbecoming of an elected official.

To be clear; I’m not trying to obfuscate, but I also firmly believe that we all need to properly characterize things we disagree with. That includes Trump himself, all the way down to us. There usually seems to be some level of strawman-ing that happens when we want to call out behavior we disagree with, and it only gives the opposing side ammunition to throw out your characterization.

nittany03

Recovering NFO. Herder of Programmers.
pilot
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
Once we get done slapfighting about the Twitter account that posted it, the article itself is actually a very good long read.