• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

EPs

USMC454

Primary... Whiting
Feel free to berate me if this a dumb question, but are there some Emergency Procedures that are more "important"? What I mean is, when I begin to commit them to memory, can I place a higher priority on some before moving on to others? I mean Standby Magnetic Compass Leakage... seriously.

Gatordev

pilot
Site Admin
Contributor
If you're trying to learn them in TBS, then you're probably spending too much time in the books. You'll find that there's a reasonable amount of time to learn these, especially when following the Master Curriculum guide for your CPT events. It will tell you what to study for each event. But if you want to try and get ahead, presuming you can remember them for that long, then more power to you.

As for Standby Magnetic Compass...it will kill you if you don't get your O2 mask on and the canopy open. (That's the EP, right? Sheesh, I've been away from them too long and need to go review).

TurnandBurn55

Drinking, flying, or looking busy!!
None
USMC454 said:
Feel free to berate me if this a dumb question, but are there some Emergency Procedures that are more "important"?.

Yeahhh... the ones that are written in boldface or have an asterisk beside them... :confused:

VarmintShooter

Bottom of the barrel
pilot
Don't learn EPs now ... that's my advice. You've still got to learn a bunch of stuff in API, then you'll have to learn some stuff for contact phase IF you even go T-34s (and not to Air Force training).

To answer the question, you must memorize the ones with the asterisks beside them. I don't think that Standby Compass Leakage is a memory item, but I could be wrong (I don't think I ever knew it).

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
I never knew that one, and I just finished primary 2 months ago. But Varmint is right, don't worry about learning EPs now, have fun while you can.

USMC454

Primary... Whiting
Ok sorry... I guess I needed to update my profile... I havent been on since TBS. Im in the pool at whiting and between drinking beers on the beach and motorcycle rides (not at the same time) Im trying to not let my mind slip into retard mode, and so Im reading over EPs and Systems and what not. I was just a little overwhelmed by the ammount of information and was just wondering if there was a trick to prioritizing it. I know that now everyone is probably going to tell me to relax and just enjoy the time off before I class up again, but besides that... any tips?

gregsivers

damn homeowners' associations
pilot
Learn them in the order that the Curriculum Guide/MPTS/whatever you want to call it has you learn them. Once in the plane you'll do some more often than others, ie Engine Failure, so you'll get an idea of which ones are more important. At least that helped me in primary. Good luck.

rare21

pilot
Contributor
as for tips, make flashcards, memorize the asterick items (hell just memorize all of them), as for which ones are more important you'll learn the ones that you'll most likely be doing a lot (HAPLs, LAPLs, etc) and the ones you wont see too much. also make up acronyms for certain things or little ditties.

when i went through primary the standby magnetic compass failure was erased from our NATOPS. did they put it back in?

edit: i forgot to mention, dont study by yourself

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Read through the EPs at least once a day...All of them.

Develop memory aids to help yourself remember the steps.

Juggle/bounce a ball/whatever while you recite them to get your hands doing something else while you spit the EP out.

Practice in the CPT once you can.

Practice, practice, practice.

Relax, attempt to not go insane from studying too much, and get some sleep. You're recall will be immeasurably better when you're rested and in zen mode.

Edit: Once you get to HAPLs/LAPLs, use the towel technique:
1. Have buddy place towel (landing site) on floor while you close
your eyes.
2. Keep your eyes shut, damnit!
3. Have buddy use pointy thing to identify winds.
4. Have buddy give you Alt, Aspd, and engine failure.
5. Open your eyes, orient on landing site and winds, recite EPs.
6. Repeat.

zippy

Freedom!
pilot
Contributor
Agreed- learn them in the order your going to need to know them (off Curriculum guide or that CPT printout). The ground EPs were somewhat easier to learn and are a good confidence builder. The ones that Ive repeatedly seen during flights are Fires (Engine and instrument) and all the engine failures- basically anything that causes you to go into HAPL/LAPLs or PPEL.
Big thing is learn the Notes/warnings/cautions when you are first learning the EP, that way you don't have to go back later and try to learn them all for your checkride.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
One of the IPs in VT-27 taught me that one after I ROYALLY f-ed up a flight with him. He was a hardass, but I really wasn't grasping the stuff until he beat me about the head and shoulders. (Not literally, just in case Mothers of America is monitoring.)

virtu050

P-8 Bubba
pilot
use neumonics (sp?) to help you learn... i.e. "speed, clean, check, feather, look, lock..." it'll help you tremendously in the plane.

also, spend time to memorize notes, warnings and cautions...

wink

War Hoover NFO.
None
Super Moderator
Contributor
I have to ask. What the heck is it about a standby mag compass leak that requires an O2 mask and ventalation? I have been type rated, or Natops qualified on four aircraft and have never had an EP like that.