• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dog Training

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
No, we're not going to try and teach A4's some new tricks.

The wife and I have just acquired a 4-month-old Boxer pup, and while both of us have housebroken, leashbroken, and crate trained puppies before, I've heard that Boxers are a little different than other dogs. Crate and leash-wise, he's not doing too badly, seeing as how we only began two days ago.

Anyone have any experience with training dogs, especially Boxers, or know of reputable trainers in the Cherry Point/Lejeune area?

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
One of my dogs is a boxer, so I know where you are coming from. As for doing some training at home on your own, google 'clicker training'. I was very impressed with the results doing that. If you need any more info on it let me know.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Okay, you all can bitch and whine all you want, but you try explaining to a damned dog trainer or some fairy dog show handler that you have to go spend a week in the woods instead of spending hours and hours a day practicing with your puppy. So freaking sue me for looking for fellow Officers' opinions in the 'Miscellaneous' part of the forum. Perhaps I should have began my post with, "I've already started looking for ideas elsewhere, but do you guys have an opinion on...," but pardon me for attempting to keep my dog from shitting on my floor.

You got a problem, send a PM, and we can hug it out all you want. Don't like where this is posted, ask the Mods to move it. Got further issues? Call me on the radio and complain. I promise not to route you into the side of a mountain or through a GMLRS shot.

Edit: Not complaining about a puppy dropping deuce on the floor, or trying to shirk dog ownership responsibilities.

Rugger

Super Moderatress
Super Moderator
Contributor
You could ask your breeder if s/he knows of a boxer savy trainer in your area. Resposible breeders usually have resources like that.

Tom

pilot
Contributor
Okay, you all can bitch and whine all you want, but you try explaining to a damned dog trainer or some fairy dog show handler that you have to go spend a week in the woods instead of spending hours and hours a day practicing with your puppy. So freaking sue me for looking for fellow Officers' opinions in the 'Miscellaneous' part of the forum. Perhaps I should have began my post with, "I've already started looking for ideas elsewhere, but do you guys have an opinion on...," but pardon me for attempting to keep my dog from shitting on my floor.

You got a problem, send a PM, and we can hug it out all you want. Don't like where this is posted, ask the Mods to move it. Got further issues? Call me on the radio and complain. I promise not to route you into the side of a mountain or through a GMLRS shot.

Edit: Not complaining about a puppy dropping deuce on the floor, or trying to shirk dog ownership responsibilities.

28lunaticcat.jpg

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Wow, that's weird. My wife and I just picked up a 3 month old boxer pup two days ago. Small world. Good luck keeping him from shitting everywhere.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
He's doing better already, now that he's settled down a bit and getting more exposure to how we do things in the house. Only peed inside once today, and I'm pretty sure that's because a thunderstorm freaked him out. As far as I'm concerned, it's progress, and I'll take it, thank you very much. Funny side note, though: I had to visit some of our DASC peoples doing a TACP shoot at Lejeune, and a buddy of mine over at 2nd Recon wanted to see the pup. So I took him with me down there, and he was all pumped to go walk up the hill...until he heard a volley of 8 or 9 81mm mortar rounds get fired off. Then he pissed all over the place and ran back to the car, dragging me behind. Good thing I was wearing body armor.

Now, if your new pup was dark (not reverse) brindle, with white feet, neck and belly, and was named Rocky, that'd be weird.

Already have a couple good leads on local trainers. I'll do some more research before commiting to one, though.

KBayDog

...you try explaining to a damned dog trainer or some fairy dog show handler that you have to go spend a week in the woods instead of spending hours and hours a day practicing with your puppy.

You wouldn't have to spend a week in the woods if you were a DASC (A).

Oh wait, my bad. :D

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
DASC = Direct Air Support Control

Think quasi-air traffic control, minus the radar picture, plus information processing center. It's a piece of the Marine Aviation Command and Control System, or MACCS. And KBay is alluding to the fact that the new model of KC-130's can't connect properly to our box that we put in the back to provide the DASC (Airborne). Bastard...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Need to teach him to stop jumping up and flailing his paws at everything in range. He may have the 'boxing' part down already, but the little SOB sucker-punched me in the coinpurse this morning when I told him he was going outside. Good thing the family jewels are machined from titanium alloy...

And the KC-130J is an evil plot by an underground entity to cripple our nation's capability. No, not the Chinese. Worse. Much worse. Yeah, it's the Crab People.