• Please take a moment and update your account profile. If you have an updated account profile with basic information on why you are on Air Warriors it will help other people respond to your posts. How do you update your profile you ask?

Go here:

Edit Account Details and Profile

Dog Training

KBayDog

And the KC-130J is an evil plot by an underground entity to cripple our nation's capability. No, not the Chinese. Worse. Much worse. Yeah, it's the Crab People.

I figured you'd go ahead and blame the Phrog Mafia.

Good...you're blaming the Crab People. That's the ticket.

Excellent...

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
No, dude. I'm heading out on a MEU as a member of the ACE. I know better than that, come on. Besides, if I piss the P.M. off, they push me to the GCE, and then I cry. A lot.

BurghGuy

Master your ego, and you own your destiny.
Now, if your new pup was dark (not reverse) brindle, with white feet, neck and belly, and was named Rocky, that'd be weird.

He's more of a fawn than a brindle. He was actually really close to being named Rocky. We named him Rusty instead.

skim

Teaching MIDN how to drift a BB
None
Contributor
Here is all the help you need...
CF_01.jpg

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
The Dog Whisperer does have some good training techniques. But his new age talk of energy is just a bit over the top for me. And his methods generally work better for older dogs, because they have more of a capacity to learn that way. Trying to teach a puppy using his techniques would be like trying to reason with a two year old: Possible sometimes, but you're going to have to dish out some negative reinforcement if you don't want the youngster to grow up AFU.

Annalisa

Semper Fidelis Tyrannosaurus
But his new age talk of energy is just a bit over the top for me.
I tend to interpret the "energy" talk as a simple way to get across to the owners that dogs are much more adept at reading subconscious body language than we are. By telling the owners to "project calm and assertive energy," he is merely telling them to carry themselves in a way that dogs instinctively understand as the posture of the one in charge.

skim

None
Contributor
Having hung out at the dog park regularly (and having watched his show when we got the channel for free), people either love the dog whisperer or hate him. I agree with his tactics. He seems to be focused mostly on punishment (chokechain or 'training collar') rather then reward, which is perfect for our Jack Russel mix. Depending on the personality of the dog, you have to adapt. A timid, shy dog needs more rewarding than a Jack Russel that is WAY to smart for his own good, but that is my opinion. Im no dog whisperer, more like a dog yeller.

l_31a914547589f41172e74abb9d699b22.jpg

Herc_Dude

I believe nicotine + caffeine = protein
pilot
Contributor
Seen the one where the collie on some farm had issues of chasing the big ol tires on tractors and biting them when they were working? Thats the only one I had seen and was very surprised to see him use a shock collar (or 'training colar' :)) to fix the problem. And it did just that ... fix the problem. Skim you are right about how it matters what kind of dog you have. My boxer needed the punishment route while our bullmastiff needed a little less punishment to get through to him. Both turned out great.

BTW, Jack Russels seem like smart ass little dogs. Im not a fan of very many little guys, but I would take one of them in a heartbeat.

MasterBates

My parents have a Jack Russell Terriorist. It's name is "Daisy" but is known to all as "Devil Dog".

Its hyper.. It can jump from the ground onto the seat in a Kenworth. And that little dog has absolutly NO FEAR.

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
I guess you're right about him using the 'energy' thing to get a point across to the people he deals with in his line of work. If you're going to be a dog whisperer in L.A., I guess you'd better be prepared to deal with them on their freaky, new age level. I think that I wouldn't be as put off if the guy spoke more to the body language and subconcious behavior angle than the magic crystal one.I do like the way he deals with the whole owner as pack leader concept, and his 'exercise, discipline, affection' littany.

skim

None
Contributor
The dog whisperer beats having this lady come over
0425192903.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Since he is a mix, he is pretty calm compared to the pure breeds. He learned his "rules, boundaries, and limitations" fairly quickly (he was a rescue) and havent had to many instances of going in the house or destroying things. His only problem is that he is too big for the small dog park (mostly due to the owners not allowing their foofy dogs to wrestle), but too small for the big dog side. He prefers the big dogs and has a fixation for a certain pitbull, but its not hard for him to get a pack of dogs to gang up on him. He can hold his own but over 2 it becomes a little intense.

Cate

Pretty much invincible
My grandmother used to train Weimaraners, and my parents are training their Springer Spaniel, using the Monks of New Skete method (www.dogsbestfriend.com). They have a good way of integrating the dog into the family "pack" while emphasizing the role of the owner as "alpha dog." Jake, the Springer, used to have real issues with aggression (neutered too late - don't make that mistake), and all it took was one of monks-style shakedown to fix that problem promptly and for good.

pat

My boxer turned 1 this June 6th (his birthday is 06/06/06) and he's awesome. From what your reading has told you they are stubborn and mischievious... but eager to be trained (which is why they find their way into schutzhund frequently). He has never so much as nipped at my 2yo son, and has infinite patience with him. He can, however, clear a 6ft fence like a gazelle, so watch that.

One day I heard him going apeshit, and went outside to discover him keeping a HYOOGE cottonmouth at bay whilst my kiddo was playing nearby (good boy). The only other time I have heard him make that much noise was when my neighbors set their trashcan on fire, thereby setting my new fence on fire. I was able to stop the flames with my hose before it got too bad. (again, good boy).

My vet told me that consistency was key in their training, so whatever you do, stick to it.

A4sForever

BTDT OLD GUY
pilot
Contributor
No, we're not going to try and teach A4's some new tricks......
Ohhhh ... the pain. The anger. The insult. The shame. The humiliation. The degradation. The angst. The soiled carpets ...

*Sigh* .... Fortunately for you .... I came upon this thread "late"... therefore, all I have to say is --- train THIS :

legliftvv3.jpg
:)

gaijin6423

Ask me about ninjas!
Hey, those dogs practically train themselves. German Shepards are great dogs. And who said anything about being insulting to you, A4s? Just consider it a compliment that we consider you beyond the scope of learning menial tricks, performed for a pittance of ground up animal byproduct treats. If we actually tried to train the aged sage of Airwarriors, THAT would be the insult.

Oh shit. Boxer just pissed all over my floor again. Wifey's getting an earfull later today.